Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
12-26-2012, 05:55 PM   #226
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Moved from a K200 to a Kr to a K30 and stopped there. Love it.

12-26-2012, 08:26 PM   #227
Forum Member

just added a k-30 to my pentax collection,battery charging as i type
12-27-2012, 11:24 AM   #228

Photos: Albums
Bought a blue one this morning, due to arrive next week. I'm anxious.
12-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #229

got one today and have to say it makes nice pair with my k5

12-27-2012, 09:59 PM   #230

Finally made the decision to update from my K-X, bought body only in black. A late chrissy pressie to me..........
12-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #231

Got one in white. I love it.
12-30-2012, 10:19 AM   #232
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Sounds like a K-30 review will help many folks decide between the K-5 and the K-30. The K-30 is definitely more modern in terms of interface and video, but preliminary tests show that the AF isn't that much better, which is what many had hoped for. Our review is almost done and is scheduled to be ready by Monday, so stay tuned

I was just using the B&H sales figures as an example, as they do a pretty good job of modeling Pentax user buying trends. They showed that not too many K-30's have sold, and this thread seems to confirm that. B&H told me over the phone that they haven't stocked that many K-30's (likely because they didn't foresee too many sales), and it seems to be the case so far.

Based on how long it took for the K-01 to fall in price, I'm guessing it'll be 3 or 4 months before we see any K-30 rebates.
I've got one and I'm looking forward to seeing what it can do!

12-30-2012, 01:31 PM   #233

Hi All

Got a black one for Christmas with 18-135 WR + 40mm Ltd lenses, so far I am impressed but just need some better weather here in the UK to get out and about with it more

Only negative I have found so far is that I find a lot of peripheral light (from the LCD for example) gets into the viewfinder because it doesn't extend much from the body and is therefore difficult to get 100% close to your eye - anyone else have a problem with this?
12-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #234

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm not one for needing all the latest this and thats but...if the screen would turn off when my eye went to the viewfinder (like it does with the new digital OM)....that would definitely be beneficial. Not having an easy and quick way to turn off the LCD screen (I know you can, but it takes a few clicks) would be great. So I agree, too much light gets into the viewfinder.

S

QuoteOriginally posted by RedMist Quote
Hi All

Got a black one for Christmas with 18-135 WR + 40mm Ltd lenses, so far I am impressed but just need some better weather here in the UK to get out and about with it more

Only negative I have found so far is that I find a lot of peripheral light (from the LCD for example) gets into the viewfinder because it doesn't extend much from the body and is therefore difficult to get 100% close to your eye - anyone else have a problem with this?
12-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #235

QuoteOriginally posted by skism Quote
I'm not one for needing all the latest this and thats but...if the screen would turn off when my eye went to the viewfinder (like it does with the new digital OM)....that would definitely be beneficial. Not having an easy and quick way to turn off the LCD screen (I know you can, but it takes a few clicks) would be great. So I agree, too much light gets into the viewfinder.

S
I agree if the LCD turned off automatically it would help a great deal or if you could assign the 'fn' button to turn it off that could be a good alternative. But it's not just the LCD, if the sun (or another light source) is at right angles it's difficult to see in the VF properly and can be distracting.

Hopefully I'll get used to it but never had a problem with either of my previous DSLRs (Nikon D40, Canon 550D), the VF is much better on the K30 just a shame it has this issue.

Maybe there is a solution to extend the VF eyepiece that could help.
12-31-2012, 01:21 PM   #236
Forum Member

Hi all,

New to the forum. Replaced my old Canon Rebel with a K30 I got the blue one with the 18-55mm zoom kit lens, and also got a really really great DA 55mm F/1.4 SDM Lens as an awesome xmas gift. (The da 55 mm lens is amazing).

I love the Pentax so far. I have been taking pictures non-stop for a week with it since i got it.
12-31-2012, 04:23 PM   #237

My K30 came today. I've previously owned a Kx and Kr so I'm not totally new to Pentax, but after a day of shooting with the K30 it looks to be as good as advertised. After Day 1 I'm very happy as I went straight to testing out the issues I experienced with my Kr and it passed with flying colors. I've always loved my Kx and the image quality is definitely improved over that camera (I realize all the reports say that it was, but seeing is believing for me. The Kr was supposed to be better as well, but my focus was never quite right with that camera).

I bought minde with a WR 18-55 kit, I also have the 50-200mm kit lens. Today I shot some pics with Pentax-A 50mm f2, Takumars 55 f 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 135 f2.5 and f3.5, and 200mm f4. I shot indoors under low light, tungsten light, with flash, without flash, in manual mode, auto mode and liveview modes. I shot outdoors under cloudy skies.

My blue K30 has made me very happy today and I look forward to learning how to get the most out of it

*Edit....Day 2, I think the K30 is even more amazing. Worked with focus peaking and manual lenses today. This is an amazing camera and I'm thrilled to death. I won't give a day 3 update, lol, I'm just so happy I wanted to come back and share. If you are thinking about buying this camera, you won't be disappointed.

Last edited by Dean31; 01-01-2013 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Update
12-31-2012, 06:18 PM - 1 Like   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lgt525 Quote
Hi all,

New to the forum. Replaced my old Canon Rebel with a K30 I got the blue one with the 18-55mm zoom kit lens, and also got a really really great DA 55mm F/1.4 SDM Lens as an awesome xmas gift. (The da 55 mm lens is amazing).

I love the Pentax so far. I have been taking pictures non-stop for a week with it since i got it.

enjoy that feeling longer and its a passion
12-31-2012, 07:22 PM   #239

QuoteOriginally posted by Dean31 Quote
My K30 came today. I've previously owned a Kx and Kr so I'm not totally new to Pentax, but after a day of shooting with the K30 it looks to be as good as advertised. After Day 1 I'm very happy as I went straight to testing out the issues I experienced with my Kr and it passed with flying colors. I've always loved my Kx and the image quality is definitely improved over that camera (I realize all the reports say that it was, but seeing is believing for me. The Kr was supposed to be better as well, but my focus was never quite right with that camera).

I bought minde with a WR 18-55 kit, I also have the 50-200mm kit lens. Today I shot some pics with Pentax-A 50mm f2, Takumars 55 f 1.8, 105mm f2.8, 135 f2.5 and f3.5, and 200mm f4. I shot indoors under low light, tungsten light, with flash, without flash, in manual mode, auto mode and liveview modes. I shot outdoors under cloudy skies.

My blue K30 has made me very happy today and I look forward to learning how to get the most out of it
You will enjoy K-30, many function and image quality improve too much from K-r, K-x.
12-31-2012, 07:43 PM   #240
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote

enjoy that feeling longer and its a passion
Thanks James

I agree, taking pictures with such a great camera is turning my love of photography into a true passion (maybe even an obsession ). I can't wait to learn more about all the lenses and experiment. I am pretty good at post processing and photoshop and learned a lot with my Canon rebel, but never really got in a total groove with that camera and always felt that I had to make up for the camera's limitations with post processing. I don't feel that way about the k30, I love the pictures I am getting even in raw format.