Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 10:31 AM   #1

K-30 and manual or older K and M42 lenses

New to Pentax, but am considering either a K-30 or K-5.
Can you use older K or M42 lenses on the K-30 ??

Thanks

07-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes. See here:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-meter...k-x-k-7-a.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-15-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K lenses will fit right on with no bother, M42's with a cheap adapter.

The K-30 also has viewfinder focus peaking which the K-5 lacks, which makes it possibly a better choice if that is one of your main concerns.
07-15-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sagitta Quote
The K-30 also has viewfinder focus peaking
It has focus peaking in Live View, not in the viewfinder. Still, it seems like a really good feature to have.

07-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
It has focus peaking in Live View, not in the viewfinder. Still, it seems like a really good feature to have.
Errr... thats what I meant. I crossed terms in my head for some dumb reason. That said, peaking IN the viewfinder? That would be amazing... lol
09-19-2012, 06:12 AM   #6

*IS* the K-30 substantially preferable to the K-5 for a manual lens user? I plan on either a used K-5 or a K-30, and my budget is tighter than a really tight thing. I'll barely be able to afford 28mm/2.8 for a first lens, as it is. Given that I will probably use mostly manual lenses for the foreseeable future, will the K-30's focus peaking feature enable me (someone with less than tack sharp optics in my eye sockets) to get better focus than I would with a K-5?
Thanks!
09-19-2012, 06:24 AM   #7

Original Poster
IMO if you are using manual lenses then yes peaking focus helps for critical focusing, but just keep in mind that it can miss by a small amount sometimes but is a great tool.

IE if you are shooting a 85mm F1.4 lens wide open, focus may not be exactly where it is peaking, but it will be very close but then we are talking fractions of an inch.
On a tripod great.

I am not sure if you can fine tune peaking focus but it should be an option.

For regular shooting I just use the focus indicator.

Also on this camera peaking focus is shown in white.
Red is a better color for me so maybe they will add that option.
White gets washed out in bright sunlight.
09-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #8

Will focus peaking give better results than using focus confirmation or catch-in-focus with the K-5?

09-19-2012, 06:44 AM   #9

Original Poster
I think so. Its hard to explain but the peaking lines sort of show you the DOF range.

If you have a lens that say always front focuses by 1/4" wide open you can adjust is back and see the range, where as you cant do that with the indicator
as it just light up and beeps when in the area of focus..
09-19-2012, 07:05 AM   #10

I see. And you find that, in practice, this more reliably produces in-focus images thank using other focus methods?
09-19-2012, 07:14 AM   #11

Original Poster
All I can say is It adds more focus control.

My issue with most manual lenses is that they are not really digitally designed and most front focus or rear focus a bit.

Not a big deal if stopping down but when shooting wide open drives me nuts. It can look in focus in the viewfinder, on the LCD screen and focus assist will
activate as the camera think it is in focus when it is not. Peaking at least lets you look at the zone of focus where you can make an adjustment.

I have a friend with a Sony and he prefers to zoom in to focus rather than use peaking.

I am not sure how or if the Peaking feature is tuned with the AF assist light.
09-19-2012, 08:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

I tested this using an old 135mm bayonet mount Takumar opened up to f-2.5 on my K30 and found it to be more or less a crap shoot, at least with this particular lens. Normal viewfinder focusing or focus peaking both yielded equally sharp images when shooting a delicate lace curtain. Focus peaking does have it's advantages however, especially when conditions are less than ideal.
Of course, I may see different results with different lenses, so I'll have to try this using some of my other old manual focus K-mounts. Either way it's a wonderful thing knowing that you have more than one system that you can rely on.