Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2012, 11:58 AM   #31
Pentaxian
aurele's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,974
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
s this based on your own experience of the K-30 AF vs. similarly priced competition?
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The videos I've seen of the K-30 AF working look fast to me.
After some tests against a Canon 40D (which is still very good in daylight and dim light, according to today standards), i felt the K-x is as fast when you mount the Canon 50mm f1.8 (1st version) and the Pentax F 50 f1.7. And even if the Canon have a very short focus row compared to Pentax !

When it come to the 70-200/2.8, the USM just blast all Pentax motorisation of any kind.

My point is : to some extent, Canikon have fast AF due to the kind of motorisation of the lens they use.

(i never tried the 18-135 which is said to be fast.)

07-16-2012, 01:00 PM   #32
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 44
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
let's just say that it's atleast capable of shooting a few or bit of sports/action now compared before. like it's nearing that but not quite yet. I mean, not yet in the same league as the 7D for sure. but I see it as a better or significant improvement over the K-5 due to higher keeper rate. I haven't done any real comparison with similarly priced or cheaper competition like the T4i or OMD-EM5, so I can't tell if it is atleast as good as those. but for a Pentax user, this is a great improvement.
If you have the oportunity vs a 60D would be a very interesting test.. I mean the K-30 IMO is on par with the 60D, the T4i is wayy overpriced for a rebel.
07-17-2012, 01:19 AM   #33
Junior Member
Dachiko's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Izhevsk
Posts: 31
Congrats to all k-30 owners!
Sorry for my English in advance.

Im interested in serial shooting, does framerate drops if using jpeg only after buffer is full? Also, i wonder, what SD card to use to get fluent performance (what card do you use?). Thanks for reply!
07-17-2012, 01:25 AM   #34
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 808
QuoteOriginally posted by Astrelle Quote
What is the main reason of inconvenience?
I reported the same problem with it, as I posted in my review a few days ago.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/192411-first-36-hours-k-30-a.html

There are 2 issues for me :
a) it's hard for me to get a good grip on the card door to open it. More difficult than it was with the K200D and K-r
b) once the compartment is open, the card is too close to the large piece of rubber used for weathersealing, making it difficult to extract the card

07-17-2012, 05:15 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
loco's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,845
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I reported the same problem with it, as I posted in my review a few days ago.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/192411-first-36-hours-k-30-a.html

There are 2 issues for me :
a) it's hard for me to get a good grip on the card door to open it. More difficult than it was with the K200D and K-r
b) once the compartment is open, the card is too close to the large piece of rubber used for weathersealing, making it difficult to extract the card
I tried the card door today when I looked at the camera and didn't really notice any significant difference between it and the K-r's. I had read your report and wanted to look at that because I access the card a lot. Was relieved that it didn't seem to cause me problems. I wonder why you are noticing such a difference?

I even had a blue camera, so the shiny plastic finish would make it even less grippy, but I really didn't have a problem. It's possible, though, that I was just being more deliberate in how I accessed the door and once I had the camera at home, old bad sloppy habits might return and I might start having issues with it.
07-17-2012, 05:25 AM   #36
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Dachiko Quote
Congrats to all k-30 owners!
Sorry for my English in advance.

Im interested in serial shooting, does framerate drops if using jpeg only after buffer is full? Also, i wonder, what SD card to use to get fluent performance (what card do you use?). Thanks for reply!
So far the specifications for the K-30 appear to indicate that it will not exceed the ability of the SanDisk Class 10 cards.

For those having trouble with the SD Card: have you tried removing an SD from a K-5/7? The reason that I ask is that the Weather Sealing is part of why it is harder to get the card out on the K-5. I had used the K-x and K-r and was used to how easily the SD card could be removed from each. Trying to remove the card from the K-5 was a bit of a shock the first couple times. There are posts here, probably in the K-5 section, on this issue.
07-17-2012, 06:10 AM   #37
Moo
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 174
If it's a problem with removing the card, rather than opening the door (which is what I had thought when this issue was first brought up), try this... Instead of pushing and releasing the card, push it in and slide your finger/nail off it, so it releases more quickly. I have no idea how effective it'll be on this camera, but should mean the card projects further, aiding removal.
07-17-2012, 06:30 AM   #38
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,246
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
This is a common theory, but no one other than the engineers at Pentax can really confirm or deny it. :/
No theory/speculation at all.

As cfraz wrote, you can easily convince yourself how big the AF areas are. They are huge compared to the small red area confirmation squares.

There is also a Pentax-published illustration of the AF areas in the viewfinder.

07-17-2012, 06:34 AM   #39
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
No theory/speculation at all.

As cfraz wrote, you can easily convince yourself how big the AF areas are. They are huge compared to the small red area confirmation squares.

There is also a Pentax-published illustration of the AF areas in the viewfinder.
The link in the original PF thread, and the image, are dead.
"Diese Seite existiert nicht (mehr)!

Wählen Sie bitte die gewünschte Division."
07-17-2012, 08:03 AM   #40
Junior Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Tokyo
Photos: Albums
Posts: 48
I`ve never owned a DSLR before, just point and shoot compacts. But I have a blog and my little compact, good though it was really needed to be upgraded. So I looked around and actually saw an add on tv advertising this so I did some research and checked it out, made up my mind and purchased mine in Silky Orange (I live in Japan, so can get a few more colours). I just got it two days ago, and this camera has just blown my mind in terms of just the experience of owning a camera. It looks great, and it feels great. I`ve been doing my blog for about 6 months, but with this camera, I feel like a real cameraman now. Ergonomically, it is superb.

The quality of the shots can be just amazing. It focuses so fast and so sharp. I think I can conquer the world with this camera. I can`t wait to learn a little more about photography to improve the quality of my shots. I think I`ve finally found my calling in life!
07-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #41
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by AroundTokyo Quote
I`ve never owned a DSLR before, just point and shoot compacts. But I have a blog and my little compact, good though it was really needed to be upgraded. So I looked around and actually saw an add on tv advertising this so I did some research and checked it out, made up my mind and purchased mine in Silky Orange (I live in Japan, so can get a few more colours). I just got it two days ago, and this camera has just blown my mind in terms of just the experience of owning a camera. It looks great, and it feels great. I`ve been doing my blog for about 6 months, but with this camera, I feel like a real cameraman now. Ergonomically, it is superb.

The quality of the shots can be just amazing. It focuses so fast and so sharp. I think I can conquer the world with this camera. I can`t wait to learn a little more about photography to improve the quality of my shots. I think I`ve finally found my calling in life!

Welcome Aboard! Congratulations on your first dSLR. Might I suggest that you look through the lens review section and see what else your camera can do with different lenses
07-17-2012, 08:38 AM   #42
Veteran Member




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by AroundTokyo Quote
I`ve never owned a DSLR before, just point and shoot compacts. But I have a blog and my little compact, good though it was really needed to be upgraded. So I looked around and actually saw an add on tv advertising this so I did some research and checked it out, made up my mind and purchased mine in Silky Orange (I live in Japan, so can get a few more colours). I just got it two days ago, and this camera has just blown my mind in terms of just the experience of owning a camera. It looks great, and it feels great. I`ve been doing my blog for about 6 months, but with this camera, I feel like a real cameraman now. Ergonomically, it is superb.

The quality of the shots can be just amazing. It focuses so fast and so sharp. I think I can conquer the world with this camera. I can`t wait to learn a little more about photography to improve the quality of my shots. I think I`ve finally found my calling in life!
I think you picked a great first dSLR. Welcome to the club.
07-17-2012, 09:30 AM   #43
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dachiko Quote
Congrats to all k-30 owners!
Sorry for my English in advance.

Im interested in serial shooting, does framerate drops if using jpeg only after buffer is full? Also, i wonder, what SD card to use to get fluent performance (what card do you use?). Thanks for reply!

I didn't notice any framerate drops. a class 10 SD card should do.
07-17-2012, 09:34 AM   #44
Veteran Member
Pentaxor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: Vancouver, B.C.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,513
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I reported the same problem with it, as I posted in my review a few days ago.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/192411-first-36-hours-k-30-a.html

There are 2 issues for me :
a) it's hard for me to get a good grip on the card door to open it. More difficult than it was with the K200D and K-r
b) once the compartment is open, the card is too close to the large piece of rubber used for weathersealing, making it difficult to extract the card
having handled the K7 and K5., the K30 is no different. it's not really a big issue for me. although at first it was, but it became easy over time.
07-18-2012, 01:45 AM   #45
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 808
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I tried the card door today when I looked at the camera and didn't really notice any significant difference between it and the K-r's. I had read your report and wanted to look at that because I access the card a lot. Was relieved that it didn't seem to cause me problems. I wonder why you are noticing such a difference?

I even had a blue camera, so the shiny plastic finish would make it even less grippy, but I really didn't have a problem. It's possible, though, that I was just being more deliberate in how I accessed the door and once I had the camera at home, old bad sloppy habits might return and I might start having issues with it.
Well, it is definitely a problem for me. I have the blue one, and the shiny blue plastic is definitely more slippery then the K-r door.
The little dots on it are too small to provide a grip. There is a very slight recess in the plastic of the door, but it's not deep enough to provide a grip, and it's not deep enough. The card door is too short. I'm comparing it with the T3i card compartment, and the door is 50% longer.

But opening it is only half the problem. Extracting the card is the other problem.

On the K-r there was no rubber gasket. So I could use two fingers to hold the card, one on each side.

With the K-30, the space is way too tight, I can only put a finger on one side of the card, but on the side of the door, it's not possible to put another finger due to the rubber gasket. And I have very small fingers to begin with. Turning the camera upside down does not release the card, it will not fall down on its own.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
cameras, k-30, k-5, k-50, k30, k30 user, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First Amazon Review of K30 TJWest Pentax K-30 & K-50 9 07-08-2012 08:25 AM
pdnonline K30 review schufosi777 Pentax K-30 & K-50 5 07-04-2012 02:15 AM
Pentax K-5 User Review rei_vilo Pentax K-5 4 05-01-2012 09:29 AM
funny 645D user review Pentaxor Pentax DSLR Discussion 18 01-28-2012 08:27 AM
Wacom Intuos 4 user review Digitalis Digital Processing, Software, and Printing 22 02-04-2011 08:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:56 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top