Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 02:03 AM   #61
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ferdinand Quote
That's a cute comment, Unthinkable II...)
And how is the image quality of the trusty little K-x compared to the K-30?
K-30 definitely has the edge on IQ, but more importantly on timely focus-fix. I'm getting more keepers (and less exasperation) for sure.

My wife has also been impressed with the K-30 during our recent trip to Australia. However, even though she has a RX100, she still wants to take the K-x with FA50/1.4 with her to an upcoming trip to San Francisco, so the little guy is far from done. My 8 year old is also eyeing it... I mentioned he could have it sometime soon and he was grinning from ear to ear.

08-02-2012, 03:25 AM   #62
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
missing the whole point!

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
I don't see how, the battery compartment and the door would have to be wider in order to allow the card to be extract with 2 fingers. This is a design issue on the camera. Short of removing the rubber gasket altogether, it isn't going to get resolved, but doing that would defeat the WR of course. A pair of tweezers does help though, but that's one more thing to have in the camera bag.
C'mon guys, you are all missing the geniusness of Pentax SD dock's design!
You open the little door ( do not have any problem with K-30) , angle the camera in such a way that SD card is facing down towards the large soft surface like bed , sofa, large pillow or dog etc, push SD card in with your finger and quickly let it go....
the SD card will promptly spring out and lend safely on the soft surface below, simple (!), anyone can do it even one without nails!
08-02-2012, 04:02 AM   #63
Moo

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
the SD card will promptly spring out
Hah yeah, I had been thinking of mentioning this in my earlier post, but didn't know how well it'd work with the K-30 being weathersealed... But having tried it, yes it works great... Maybe a little too great in fact, you can send it flying!
08-02-2012, 05:01 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

flying SD card competition

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
Hah yeah, I had been thinking of mentioning this in my earlier post, but didn't know how well it'd work with the K-30 being weathersealed... But having tried it, yes it works great... Maybe a little too great in fact, you can send it flying!
yes, we could organise Pentax flying SD card competition, well we could just use MacroSD ADAPTER's without actually macro card inside.
I have plenty of those, each Kingston MacroSD comes with one......or maybe not, getting bit silly in my mature age but it would be fan!

08-02-2012, 06:45 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
C'mon guys, you are all missing the geniusness of Pentax SD dock's design!
You open the little door ( do not have any problem with K-30) , angle the camera in such a way that SD card is facing down towards the large soft surface like bed , sofa, large pillow or dog etc, push SD card in with your finger and quickly let it go....
the SD card will promptly spring out and lend safely on the soft surface below, simple (!), anyone can do it even one without nails!
As I mentioned in a previous post, that does not work. The card does not fall down when the camera is turned. It is too close and hits the rubber gasket. It just stays inside the camera.
08-02-2012, 08:41 PM   #66
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-30 SD dock images

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
As I mentioned in a previous post, that does not work. The card does not fall down when the camera is turned. It is too close and hits the rubber gasket. It just stays inside the camera.
you can see on attached photos that there is no way SD card can touch the rubber gasket, does on you K-30 that area look any different?
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q  Photo 
08-02-2012, 10:38 PM   #67
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I had a similar experience with removing a card from the K-5.
Why not simply put a little Scotch Tape tab on the card so it can be grabbed easier?

08-03-2012, 06:27 AM   #68

madbrain, I tried the trick that Moo and i_trax describe after remembering the problem your card clearance issue. And yes, my card literally went flying out of the slot like a projectile. Closely examining things, I see that my cards definitely clear the rubber gasket to a similar degree as in the pictures i_trax posted above. Perhaps your K-30 has a problem with its card door hinge not opening all the way?
08-03-2012, 06:32 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
Why not simply put a little Scotch Tape tab on the card so it can be grabbed easier?
No way I'd put Scotch tape in my camera.
08-03-2012, 06:13 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mspoon Quote
madbrain, I tried the trick that Moo and i_trax describe after remembering the problem your card clearance issue. And yes, my card literally went flying out of the slot like a projectile. Closely examining things, I see that my cards definitely clear the rubber gasket to a similar degree as in the pictures i_trax posted above. Perhaps your K-30 has a problem with its card door hinge not opening all the way?
Perhaps it's not touching the rubber gasket. I will look at it again more carefully. But I can safely say that turning the camera upside down, the SD card stays firmly inside the slot.
08-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #71
Moo

I don't think anyone suggested that simply tipping the camera up when the card was in the "sticking out" position would let it fall out...
08-04-2012, 07:54 AM   #72
Forum Member

I just got my K30 yesterday and there is no issue whatsoever in getting the SD card out of the slot, even without the Scotch tape tab I suggested a few posts ago (which REALLY works well on some of my other devices ).
The only issue I have with the SD card is that my camera won't acknowledge the Kingston 8GB class 10SD card that was included in the Costco package. Oh well, I'll just have them send me another.
08-04-2012, 08:21 AM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
I just got my K30 yesterday and there is no issue whatsoever in getting the SD card out of the slot, even without the Scotch tape tab I suggested a few posts ago (which REALLY works well on some of my other devices ).
The only issue I have with the SD card is that my camera won't acknowledge the Kingston 8GB class 10SD card that was included in the Costco package. Oh well, I'll just have them send me another.
Congratulations. Too bad about the card, but you are not the only one to get a dead SD card. Is yours marked Kingston? The ad has a generic one in it and in the past when I have gotten one with items they have typically been plain wrapper, no name.
08-04-2012, 08:39 AM   #74
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have a couple of Kingston 8G Class 6 cards. They are so slow to write in my K20D an K-x that I can only stand to use them for emergency backup.
08-04-2012, 09:53 AM   #75
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Congratulations. Too bad about the card, but you are not the only one to get a dead SD card. Is yours marked Kingston? The ad has a generic one in it and in the past when I have gotten one with items they have typically been plain wrapper, no name.
Yes, my card is definitely (?) a Kingston. All the packaging and labelling says so, so it MUST be true, right????
It is supposedly a Class 10 card.
On the back of my card is printed

N0368-003. A00LF
TAIWAN
JM94299-938.A00LF

I'll be calling Costco support this morning a see about a replacement. Hardly worth the bother since they are so cheap nowadays. But what the heck