Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-04-2012, 10:22 AM   #76
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
Yes, my card is definitely (?) a Kingston. All the packaging and labelling says so, so it MUST be true, right????
It is supposedly a Class 10 card.
On the back of my card is printed

N0368-003. A00LF
TAIWAN
JM94299-938.A00LF

I'll be calling Costco support this morning a see about a replacement. Hardly worth the bother since they are so cheap nowadays. But what the heck
Thanks. The ads all had generic pictures and in the past I have gotten rebranded cards when they were included in such deals.

08-04-2012, 02:00 PM   #77
Forum Member

After posting about the defective SDHC card, I called Costco's Customer support # and they decided that the easiest and quickest way to remedy the situation was to give me a $15 credit against my credit card. Works for me since the card can be had for less than that.
08-04-2012, 02:10 PM   #78
Forum Member

So, the K30 in the Costco package deal I received yesterday was DEFECTIVE !!!! BUMMER!!!
Apparently there was a serious issue with the SD card slot and the USB interface. The camera would take the pics just fine and they could be viewed on the K30's LCD display with no issues HOWEVER, when I attempted to use the USB cable to my computer, another major problem arose. The Removable Drive (K30) showed up on my monitor as expected but it stated the were NO FILES found on the card. BTW..I was using another SDHC card I had. My computer read the card just fine if I removed it from the camera and inserted it directly into the PC's card reader.
As a comparison I tried the same tests using the same card in my Pentax K2000 with no problem.
I returned the entire package back to the local Costco store for a full refund, and just re-ordered the same package from them again.
What are the chances of getting 2 bad K30's in a row?
Maybe I should have gotten the Black one instead the Pretty Blue one.
<:-))

Regards
Bernd
08-04-2012, 02:14 PM   #79
Veteran Member

So, the K30 in the Costco package deal I received yesterday was DEFECTIVE !!!! BUMMER!!!
Apparently there was a serious issue with the SD card slot and the USB interface. The camera would take the pics just fine and they could be viewed on the K30's LCD display with no issues HOWEVER, when I attempted to use the USB cable to my computer, another major problem arose. The Removable Drive (K30) showed up on my monitor as expected but it stated the were NO FILES found on the card. BTW..I was using another SDHC card I had. My computer read the card just fine if I removed it from the camera and inserted it directly into the PC's card reader.
As a comparison I tried the same tests using the same card in my Pentax K2000 with no problem.
I returned the entire package back to the local Costco store for a full refund, and just re-ordered the same package from them again.
What are the chances of getting 2 bad K30's in a row?
Maybe I should have gotten the Black one instead the Pretty Blue one.
<:-))

Regards
Bernd
Sorry to hear that it was the camera. Good luck on #2.

08-04-2012, 02:21 PM - 1 Like   #80
Forum Member

Thanks!
It doesn't bother me too much though, after all Stuff Happens, right?
At least Costco makes returns so VERY friendly and easy and since there are 2 Costco's withing 6 miles of me, it is really nice.
Besides,they have great Polish Sausage hot dogs and 16oz drinks for $1.50. Love 'em. Yummy!

Regards
Bernd
08-04-2012, 03:08 PM   #81
mee
Veteran Member

At least Costco makes returns so VERY friendly and easy and since there are 2 Costco's withing 6 miles of me, it is really nice.
Besides,they have great Polish Sausage hot dogs and 16oz drinks for $1.50. Love 'em. Yummy!
wottt?? Forget the K-30.. that meal is a good deal!

I see the OP is comparing against a K-5. But how about against a K-r with respect to Hi burst shooting?

PF reviews ( Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-x vs. Pentax K-r vs. Pentax K-30 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com ) show that the K-r has same speed on the Hi and larger buffer. Shouldn't the new mid-tier be superior to the old bottom-tier ?? Or are those figures incorrect? Even with the extra ~4 MP I am bummed at the difference in frame rate.. I wonder what the K-30 does at 12.4MP ??

Last edited by mee; 08-04-2012 at 04:28 PM.
08-04-2012, 11:49 PM   #82
Pentaxian

So, the K30 in the Costco package deal I received yesterday was DEFECTIVE !!!!
Are you sure?

You wrote "My computer read the card just fine if I removed it from the camera and inserted it directly into the PC's card reader." and stated that the camera showed shot images just fine so why do you think that there "was a serious issue with the SD card slot"?

From your description everything seemed to work except the USB connection to the computer. The latter could have been a driver problem related to your computer rather than a camera defect.

If the next one shows the same problem, I think it would be a good idea to try and do some more troubleshooting, before you declare the camera to be defect.

08-05-2012, 09:03 AM   #83
Forum Member

You may be right about the SD card slot issue. After some more "research", it appears the problem was actually the SD card itself. The camera would only give me a "Memory Card Error" with the supplied 8GB Class 10 Kingston card, but worked OK with other cards I had.
The USB connectivity issue OTOH was definitely a camera issue. All my drivers were fully up to date. The first time I plugged the camera into the computer (with the camera OFF), nothing showed on the monitor, as expected. When I turned the camera on, again, nothing. I turned the camera Off and then On again and NOW the connection was made and I was informed that all drivers were installed and it was ready to go. After taking a dozen or so pics, I again plugged the camera into the computer and and turned the camera on, again nothing. Hmmm. I cycled the camera off/on and the popup appeared asking me how I wanted to view the device. I always select the Open Folder to view files option and the directory appeared showing the camera as a Removable Drive M (K30). However, no mater how many times I tried it with my known good SD card, the DCIM subdirectory NEVER showed and my computer kept telling me the folder was Empty. Plugging the SD card directly into the PC's card slot showed all the pics as it should. I tried plugging the camera into 3 other computers, all with the same results. The USB link was somehow bad.
Oh well, I consider myself lucky that I haven't had more bad electronic items out of the box but I know it happens, so no big deal. My replacement camera package is on its way to me as we speak.

Regards
Bernd
'
08-06-2012, 02:54 PM   #84
Veteran Member

You may be right about the SD card slot issue. After some more "research", it appears the problem was actually the SD card itself. The camera would only give me a "Memory Card Error" with the supplied 8GB Class 10 Kingston card, but worked OK with other cards I had.
The USB connectivity issue OTOH was definitely a camera issue. All my drivers were fully up to date. The first time I plugged the camera into the computer (with the camera OFF), nothing showed on the monitor, as expected. When I turned the camera on, again, nothing. I turned the camera Off and then On again and NOW the connection was made and I was informed that all drivers were installed and it was ready to go. After taking a dozen or so pics, I again plugged the camera into the computer and and turned the camera on, again nothing. Hmmm. I cycled the camera off/on and the popup appeared asking me how I wanted to view the device. I always select the Open Folder to view files option and the directory appeared showing the camera as a Removable Drive M (K30). However, no mater how many times I tried it with my known good SD card, the DCIM subdirectory NEVER showed and my computer kept telling me the folder was Empty. Plugging the SD card directly into the PC's card slot showed all the pics as it should. I tried plugging the camera into 3 other computers, all with the same results. The USB link was somehow bad.
Oh well, I consider myself lucky that I haven't had more bad electronic items out of the box but I know it happens, so no big deal. My replacement camera package is on its way to me as we speak.
'
That's more than a little weird. Did you try to plug the K-30 in to another computer just to rule out any computer issues ?
Are you sure your K-30 USB connection mode is correct ? See page 229 of the manual. It should be MSC - Mass Storage Class.
MSC is the default, and presumably if it showed a drive letter on your computer, it was correct, but your never know.
08-06-2012, 03:28 PM   #85
Forum Member

Yes I agree, very odd.
I did in fact try it on 3 other computers. My wife's PC and we each have a laptop but no joy <:-((
I even tried both MSC (default) and PTP, and neither one worked.
I sure hope the replacement which should arrive in a few days, will work normally.
08-07-2012, 04:13 PM   #86
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Perhaps it's not touching the rubber gasket. I will look at it again more carefully. But I can safely say that turning the camera upside down, the SD card stays firmly inside the slot.
I checked on this again.
If I first turn the camera upside down, then open the card slot, the card does fall down.

Previously, I was opening the card slot first, then turning the camera upside down. The card remained in the camera. That is still the case.
08-07-2012, 08:26 PM   #87

K30 & Lens with aperature ring?

The description here on the website states that the K30 does not support aperature ring. Can anyone expand on this as to manual M/K lens and A lens use on the K30. Thanks.

JB
08-07-2012, 08:57 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Here's the user manual, it should say if it can use aperture ring or not.

http://c758710.r10.cf2.rackcdn.com/files/support/manual/1340052607_Manual_K-30_EN.pdf

I'm hoping it does, I'm intending to get a K30, and I'd like to be able to use the same lenses as on my ME

edit:
It CAN use aperture ring.
Page 259

I'm just not sure on how the metering works with manual aperture ring (then again, I've no idea how it works on my *ist either :P)
08-08-2012, 04:59 AM   #89
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-30 & manual lenses

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote
The description here on the website states that the K30 does not support aperature ring. Can anyone expand on this as to manual M/K lens and A lens use on the K30. Thanks.

JB
yes it can as with all other Pentax DSLR's, I have more manual K and M42 lenses than PKA/AF and they all work well with all Pentax's.
just search this forum, lot of info there....
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #90
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Take-5-JB Quote

JB
I watched the Manual Aperture Ring setting get changed on a big screen last night for the K-30. Ken Curry, who was presenting, said that is one of the most common misunderstandings from the sales people that he has to re-educate them on.