Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-08-2012, 02:25 PM   #91
Forum Member

Even though I have zero issues with inserting or removing the SD card from the K30, my Scotch tape tab works like a charm and does NO HARM to the camera.
Try it, you might like it

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
E3700  Photo 
08-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #92
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
Even though I have zero issues with inserting or removing the SD card from the K30, my Scotch tape tab works like a charm and does NO HARM to the camera.
Try it, you might like it
If it stays away from the seals for the door. If not, even a small portion of it caught under the seal could compromise the water seal.
08-08-2012, 02:45 PM   #93
Forum Member

That's true. For me, that will likely never be a concern. This camera will never even get damp, much less be in the rain.
As a matter of interest though, I found that I could eject the SD card a full 6 feet just by using my fingernail and then slipping it off the card. LOL
08-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #94
Veteran Member

That's true. For me, that will likely never be a concern. This camera will never even get damp, much less be in the rain.
As a matter of interest though, I found that I could eject the SD card a full 6 feet just by using my fingernail and then slipping it off the card. LOL
I put my own SD card into each of 3 K-30s that I got to play with at the Tour last night. I also pulled SD cards out of each. I had 0 difficulty with any of them.

08-08-2012, 07:46 PM   #95
Pentaxian

I am amuse why some are making rants just because of that SD removal issue

I have tried my own card on K-30 samples - it works fine as it should be,,
08-08-2012, 09:59 PM   #96

I found that I could eject the SD card a full 6 feet just by using my fingernail and then slipping it off the card. LOL
Magnificent but I have it beat. Using a 2gb card, less info therefore less weight and with the breeze from the air conditioner behind me I managed 6ft 1 inch. That extra inch makes all the difference!
08-08-2012, 10:39 PM   #97
Forum Member

So I hear!
Hahaha
08-09-2012, 04:37 AM   #98
Pentaxian

08-10-2012, 09:32 PM   #99
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kansei,Itrax,

Thanks. I have a dozen lenses for my 2 Pentax DSLRS, 3 are modern auto lens, 1 is an A, the others are M42 (I have a Pentax ESII also). I wanted to make sure that that I can use the manual aperature rings. I thought it would be weird that Pentax would make this K-30 the only one that can't recognize aperature rings. Looking at the K-5 and K-30 and didn't want to have an issue with manual lenses.

JB
08-11-2012, 03:31 AM   #100
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

you are welcome JB,
for everyday casual photos I much prefer K-30, lighter,smaller, can use very convenient AA'a batteries ,faster Pentax lenses correction in the camera, much faster processing and recording photos to SD card,
faster and more precise AF and MF confirmation + all Live View ( which I do not use , except on the Q - there is no other choice) improvements.
I took well over 1000 photos with my K-30 , some there:
Pentax K-30 - a set on Flickr
will upload some more tonight
08-11-2012, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #101

Photos: Albums
I've used my K-30 with the 18-55mm WR for about 3 weeks now and I have to say I am very impressed. The lens is obviously not the best, but good enough for daylight snapshooting. I'm getting the 50mm M 1.7 next Monday though, which will be my first Pentax lens purchase (yey).

So far I've had one problem: Last night was very cold (6 degrees celcius) while I was taking snaps at my friends BBQ party. Just checked the pictures and there was some serious banding at ISO 1600-6400. I tried replecating the issue and sure enough the problem repeated at ISO 1600. At first my heart sank and I was getting mentally prepared to bring the camera in for servicing, but then I went to the menus and used the Pixel Mapping feature and the problem went away.

My theory is that the problem occured when I was out for a couple of hours in the very cold night, then brought the camera inside to the very hot and humid kitchen and then brought it out again after a few minutes of shooting inside. Anyway, the problem is fixed now but I will keep an eye out if the issue returns.

I must say though, that during my three week usage I've photographed in rain, sunshine, extreme humidity and stormy weathers (Finnish Summer <3) and the camera has performed very well. Overall I'd give this camera a 9/10 with that one point loss coming from ruining 5 pictures last night, altought I admit that could well be my own fault. :P
08-11-2012, 02:19 PM   #102

Photos: Albums
A quick update on the banding issue:

Noticed some more of it today, again at ISO 1600+... After fiddling around with every setting I could think of that would cause banding to occur, It's slowly sinking in that it might be an issue with the sensor...

I can post some examples of the banding later when I'm on my PC, but it looks like someones smudges the center of the image by drawing a few lines with a pencil on it. Guess I'm about to find out how well Pentax' warranty program is (aka. how bad their official servicing company over here is). Insert expletive word here.
08-11-2012, 04:57 PM   #103
Pentaxian

Can anyone help me how to use that front dial properly? I have been meaning to get a k-30 but I am reluctant on how would I use that dial, I've been using my K-r for quite sometime now and it has grown on me (together with it's quirks, hence my signature)

Can you show me what would make this 2nd dial and also the TAv mode an upgrade in terms of handling/using the k-30 coming from a single e-dial cam (k-r/k-x). I use my middle finger to press the k-r's shutter and my index finger to the green button.

Thank you in advance.
08-11-2012, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #104
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The front and rear dials can be customized, depending on what mode you are in. If you are in manual mode, you would use one to control aperture and one to control shutter speed. If in Av mode, one controls aperture and the other might control ISO or Exposure Compensation, and it goes on. Believe me, you will appreciate it once you have a front dial!

TAv mode is like manual mode with Auto ISO. Just one less thing to think about. And with the K-30's excellent high ISO capability, you really can use Auto ISO without too much worry in most circumstances.
08-11-2012, 05:11 PM   #105
Pentaxian

Thanks Lori,

Yeah I shoot in M mode, I am just kind of worried where to put my fingers with so much buttons the fantastic K-30 have.

Wow the TAv looks really handy!