Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CyberManiaK Quote
Maybe not the right place to ask, but it's true that on the pentax K-5 (wich I think is the same on the K-30) the center focus point (that little square) that you see in the viewfinder is smaller than real focus point, and this leads to some sort of the user to think that is not focusing accurate ?? I read this on pentaxeros (spanish forum)

Thanks.
This is a common theory, but no one other than the engineers at Pentax can really confirm or deny it. :/

07-15-2012, 09:54 PM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
This is a common theory, but no one other than the engineers at Pentax can really confirm or deny it. :/
Oh thanks. And this theory apply for all pentax bodys or only K-5 ??
07-15-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CyberManiaK Quote
Oh thanks. And this theory apply for all pentax bodys or only K-5 ??
Seems likely, since all of them have as few or fewer focus points than the K-5/K-30.
07-15-2012, 10:57 PM   #19

Is it possible to do focus peaking AND image magnification on the LCD screen at the same time? I am thinking of manual focusing in situations of low-light and very thin DOF.

07-15-2012, 11:02 PM   #20
Veteran Member

It's fairly simple to get a rough idea of the area over which the autofocus points are sensitive. Place a black dot on a white sheet of paper and tape it to a wall. Select one of your focus points and aim the camera to gradually approach the dot with the selected focus point from all sides.
07-16-2012, 12:23 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by obheng Quote
Is it possible to do focus peaking AND image magnification on the LCD screen at the same time? I am thinking of manual focusing in situations of low-light and very thin DOF.
Yep. Make sure focus peaking is enabled, then press the OK button and it'll zoom in (by default 2x, but up to 6x using the rear e-dial).
07-16-2012, 01:47 AM   #22

Yep. Make sure focus peaking is enabled, then press the OK button and it'll zoom in (by default 2x, but up to 6x using the rear e-dial).
Thanks, deadwolfbones. I look shall forward to manual focusing in the dark when I get my K-30 (ordered one from the Singapore Pentaxwebstore last week).

07-16-2012, 02:54 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astrelle Quote
What is the main reason of inconvenience?
I click on the flash card without problems. Then flash card pops up as usual. And in this situation, I can not take it with two fingers. Because by reason of the cover is awkward to do.
###
Я нажимаю на флеш карту без проблем. Затем она как обычно немного выскакивает. И вот в этом положении я не могу ее взять двумя пальцами. Потому что пальцу со стороны крышки это делать неудобно.
07-16-2012, 03:22 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
sounds like this body will be my next body

Just a question : is the shutter sound as loud as the K-x / k-r ones, or is it a bit more discreet ?
07-16-2012, 09:28 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
sounds like this body will be my next body

Just a question : is the shutter sound as loud as the K-x / k-r ones, or is it a bit more discreet ?
I can't seem to remember the k-x shutter exactly other than it was noisy. although in my opinion, the K30 is a bit more discreet. personally, I don't find the K30 shutter sound not that distracting, although I would have to give my vote on the K-5 and K-7 in that area. I guess something has got to give to attain faster shooting and better focusing. so what you planning on using the K30?
07-16-2012, 09:40 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
I can't seem to remember the k-x shutter exactly other than it was noisy. although in my opinion, the K30 is a bit more discreet. personally, I don't find the K30 shutter sound not that distracting, although I would have to give my vote on the K-5 and K-7 in that area. I guess something has got to give to attain faster shooting and better focusing. so what you planning on using the K30?

Sports and midnight party.

During night, when the ambiance is quite quiet, i found the K-x to be really to much noisy.

That's why i was asking.

the second wheel, WR and the 100% OVF is, appart from a quieter shunter sound, all i ask
07-16-2012, 10:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Sports and midnight party.

During night, when the ambiance is quite quiet, i found the K-x to be really to much noisy.

That's why i was asking.

the second wheel, WR and the 100% OVF is, appart from a quieter shunter sound, all i ask
I see. OVF is alright and just the same you can expect from Pentax. wheels are good ( front and rear )and I like the controls ( not too tight and not too loose ). user interface is great as usual and importantly, the camera is not flimsy. funny despite being WR, it is not as rugged as the K5/K7. it is like this shiny smooth plastic thing whatever that I can't exactly describe. I guess the color has to do with it.

although it doesn't look toyish unlike the K-01 for sure. the grip I find is sticky btw. one other thing, Live View shooting is great and very fast. I think this would serve well for sports and midnight party compared to the K-5.although the AF is still not that as good as other brands, but a very good improvement nonetheless. did I mention focus peaking is the new AF?
07-16-2012, 11:11 AM   #28
Veteran Member

Looks like the K-30 checks more boxes than the K-5.
07-16-2012, 11:14 AM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the AF is still not that as good as other brands, but a very good improvement nonetheless.
Is this based on your own experience of the K-30 AF vs. similarly priced competition? Or is it just regurgitated old models' reputations being bestowed on the new. The videos I've seen of the K-30 AF working look fast to me.
07-16-2012, 11:54 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Is this based on your own experience of the K-30 AF vs. similarly priced competition? Or is it just regurgitated old models' reputations being bestowed on the new. The videos I've seen of the K-30 AF working look fast to me.
let's just say that it's atleast capable of shooting a few or bit of sports/action now compared before. like it's nearing that but not quite yet. I mean, not yet in the same league as the 7D for sure. but I see it as a better or significant improvement over the K-5 due to higher keeper rate. I haven't done any real comparison with similarly priced or cheaper competition like the T4i or OMD-EM5, so I can't tell if it is atleast as good as those. but for a Pentax user, this is a great improvement.