Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 04:55 AM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Well, it is definitely a problem for me. I have the blue one, and the shiny blue plastic is definitely more slippery then the K-r door.
The little dots on it are too small to provide a grip. There is a very slight recess in the plastic of the door, but it's not deep enough to provide a grip, and it's not deep enough. The card door is too short. I'm comparing it with the T3i card compartment, and the door is 50% longer.

But opening it is only half the problem. Extracting the card is the other problem.

On the K-r there was no rubber gasket. So I could use two fingers to hold the card, one on each side.

With the K-30, the space is way too tight, I can only put a finger on one side of the card, but on the side of the door, it's not possible to put another finger due to the rubber gasket. And I have very small fingers to begin with. Turning the camera upside down does not release the card, it will not fall down on its own.
Odd. I certainly hope you find a workaround which makes this an easier process for you.

07-18-2012, 06:50 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Well, it is definitely a problem for me. I have the blue one, and the shiny blue plastic is definitely more slippery then the K-r door.
The little dots on it are too small to provide a grip. There is a very slight recess in the plastic of the door, but it's not deep enough to provide a grip, and it's not deep enough. The card door is too short. I'm comparing it with the T3i card compartment, and the door is 50% longer.

But opening it is only half the problem. Extracting the card is the other problem.

On the K-r there was no rubber gasket. So I could use two fingers to hold the card, one on each side.

With the K-30, the space is way too tight, I can only put a finger on one side of the card, but on the side of the door, it's not possible to put another finger due to the rubber gasket. And I have very small fingers to begin with. Turning the camera upside down does not release the card, it will not fall down on its own.
it will loosen over time. trust me. otherwise, if you find it troublesome to use, you can always sell it here.
07-18-2012, 07:45 AM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
it will loosen over time. trust me. otherwise, if you find it troublesome to use, you can always sell it here.
We even had people talking about how to shave SD cards in order to make pulling them easier when the K-5 was released.
07-18-2012, 07:46 AM   #49
Veteran Member

I personally had no issues putting in and taking out the SD card multiple times on the K-30 I handled in the store. Didn't even think twice about it.

07-18-2012, 08:13 AM   #50
Veteran Member

Yup! I agree!
07-18-2012, 12:27 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I personally had no issues putting in and taking out the SD card multiple times on the K-30 I handled in the store. Didn't even think twice about it.
No trouble for me as well.

The camera as well fits my hand like a glove.

Neil
07-18-2012, 08:14 PM   #52

Photos: Albums

Sorry, I understand the problems you`re having with opening the door, but I don`t quite understand the problem with extracting the card from the slot. To extract the card, first you should lightly push the card in, then it is released, correct? That is what I do on my camera, and it just pops out enough to get a get my fingernails on it.

But with getting the door open, I agree with the other posters, it is a little tight but do it a few times and it frees up slightly.

07-20-2012, 05:49 PM   #53
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AroundTokyo Quote
Sorry, I understand the problems you`re having with opening the door, but I don`t quite understand the problem with extracting the card from the slot. To extract the card, first you should lightly push the card in, then it is released, correct?
When I push the card in, it is released only a little bit - it still needs to be picked up to completely come out of the camera.

The card sticks out by a very small amount. The card is still below the top of the rubber gasket .The back of the card is so close that it touches the rubber gasket. So, I can only put a finger on the front of the card, but not on the back of the card.

I have always picked up the card with two fingers, one of the front and one of the back, with all the cameras and other SD devices I have ever had. The K-30 is the only that I cannot do this on.

It seems that the card door is a bit higher than on other cameras, so perhaps the designers expect users to pick up the card by its sides instead of front and back. But it is still a tight fit even for my small fingers. To give you an idea of how small they are, I cannot reach a 10th on the piano.

QuoteQuote:
That is what I do on my camera, and it just pops out enough to get a get my fingernails on it.

But with getting the door open, I agree with the other posters, it is a little tight but do it a few times and it frees up slightly.
I keep my nails short at almost all times because I play the piano, so my nails do not help with extracting the card. The Patriot EP cards I have also only have a very small recessed slit on top . If I try to put a fingernail in that sli,t it pushes the card against the rubber gasket and makes it even harder to extract the card.

I guess I should make a video to show how hard it is for me. It it certainly one the most frustrating part of using this camera for me so far, tied with the terrible audio quality.
07-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #54
Veteran Member

I had a similar experience with removing a card from the K-5.
07-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #55
Veteran Member

Original Poster
When I push the card in, it is released only a little bit - it still needs to be picked up to completely come out of the camera.

The card sticks out by a very small amount. The card is still below the top of the rubber gasket .The back of the card is so close that it touches the rubber gasket. So, I can only put a finger on the front of the card, but not on the back of the card.

I have always picked up the card with two fingers, one of the front and one of the back, with all the cameras and other SD devices I have ever had. The K-30 is the only that I cannot do this on.

It seems that the card door is a bit higher than on other cameras, so perhaps the designers expect users to pick up the card by its sides instead of front and back. But it is still a tight fit even for my small fingers. To give you an idea of how small they are, I cannot reach a 10th on the piano.

I keep my nails short at almost all times because I play the piano, so my nails do not help with extracting the card. The Patriot EP cards I have also only have a very small recessed slit on top . If I try to put a fingernail in that sli,t it pushes the card against the rubber gasket and makes it even harder to extract the card.

I guess I should make a video to show how hard it is for me. It it certainly one the most frustrating part of using this camera for me so far, tied with the terrible audio quality.
we got the idea. as I mentioned, it will loosen over time the more you use the camera. it's like buying a brand new shoe where it is tight for the first uses.
07-21-2012, 03:53 AM   #56
Veteran Member

we got the idea. as I mentioned, it will loosen over time the more you use the camera. it's like buying a brand new shoe where it is tight for the first uses.
I don't see how, the battery compartment and the door would have to be wider in order to allow the card to be extract with 2 fingers. This is a design issue on the camera. Short of removing the rubber gasket altogether, it isn't going to get resolved, but doing that would defeat the WR of course. A pair of tweezers does help though, but that's one more thing to have in the camera bag.
07-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #57
Veteran Member

You aren't a nail biter are you? I can't speak for the K30, but I find it easy to extract the card from my K7, with my great talons
07-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #58
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I don't see how, the battery compartment and the door would have to be wider in order to allow the card to be extract with 2 fingers. This is a design issue on the camera. Short of removing the rubber gasket altogether, it isn't going to get resolved, but doing that would defeat the WR of course. A pair of tweezers does help though, but that's one more thing to have in the camera bag.
maybe you can report back again after 3 months and tell us if you still have this problem.
07-21-2012, 09:17 AM   #59
Veteran Member

I've enjoyed showing off to my wife how I one-handedly open the card door, remove the card, and place it back on the K-x. All part of why I love the one-handed K-x experience, even though I am a (somewhat ambidextrous) left hander.

The K-30 is harder. Opening the door is easier than the K-x due to the better grip, but getting the card out with only your right thumb is difficult. On the K-x it is easy.

The K-30 is a huge step up, and will be my main camera. But I still love my little K-x.

They sit next to each other, and the anthropomorphic part of my mind wants to give the K-x a big hug and say that it hasn't been forgotten!
07-24-2012, 08:41 AM   #60
Forum Member

That's a cute comment, Unthinkable II...)
And how is the image quality of the trusty little K-x compared to the K-30?