Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-15-2012, 11:00 PM   #1

K-30 with an older external flash

I have this "non-brand" external flash that I bought with my Panasonic FZ-30. It's not great but it works ok.
I tried to mount it to my new K-30, it only works when the dial is at "Auto" mode but won't work at all in "M" mode.
Am I missing some settings to get it to work in M mode?
Or I simply have to get another external flash that works with this camera?

07-15-2012, 11:32 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First, keep in mind that older off brand flashes used voltages that can fry a modern camera. But I guess since you tried it you are OK.

I assume you mean M and Auto on the camera, not the flash right? Does it work in Av mode?

And in M mode what shutter speed are you using? Max sync speed is 1/180s so if you set it any higher than that the flash will not fire. In auto mode it MAY (not sure) sense that the flash is attached and limited the shutter speed. In 'M' you are on your own.

I doubt that flash will work with PTTL so you will have to either use it in manual (on the flash) or if the flash has an auto mode that might work as well. Either way way you should do some careful testing to understand what it is doing before taking any irreplaceable shots.
07-15-2012, 11:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice!! I've just tried it again on M mode on the camera with shutter speed under 1/180 and it works.

As far as voltage goes, is there any way I can find out the voltage of the flash unit if I do not have the manual anymore?
All I know is it uses 4 AA batteries.
07-15-2012, 11:50 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Try looking here Anything 12v or less is fine. I read someplace that Pentax cameras are OK at 24 volt but why take chances. Did not mean to alarm you, if the flash is fairly modern you should be fine, if it was designed for a digital camera you should be good. The ones that cause trouble were designed for older film cameras and used very high voltages to trigger the flash.

07-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #5

Original Poster
I've just found the brand and the model number.
It's the Tumax DA880z.
Now still trying to find the operation voltage.
07-16-2012, 03:14 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by misbehave Quote
I've just found the brand and the model number.
It's the Tumax DA880z.
Now still trying to find the operation voltage.
Tumax DA880Z

From the link: Low trigger voltage; Suitable for use with DSLR, digital, and film camera

Hope this helps
07-16-2012, 06:01 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
Geru,
Maybe this site will answer some of your questions. Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
07-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by geru2000 Quote
Tumax DA880Z

From the link: Low trigger voltage; Suitable for use with DSLR, digital, and film camera

Hope this helps
Thanks a lot!!
I tried to google it but came back with all these results in Thai language that I couldn't read.

07-16-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by misbehave Quote
Thanks a lot!!
I tried to google it but came back with all these results in Thai language that I couldn't read.
Google translate is your friend

Google Translate

Other sites show users testing the voltage at around 5-6 volts