Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 12:58 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
I looked at that thread. I don't think there was any problem with your camera -- just small jpeg samples.
I agree.

07-31-2012, 01:37 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I couldn't see banding at all, just typical jpeg compression.
08-02-2012, 03:03 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Agree,

Facebook images are heavily compressed and show image artefacts and banding. Make sure to enable high quality photos in Facebook, although I think they still might not be so good?

I use Flickr anyhow.
08-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FruitLooPs Quote
Facebook images are heavily compressed and show image artefacts and banding.
Dear Sirs,
I think it was a problem with the camera. I take SD card with my old pictures and I put their in the new camera B&H. I don't see problem. When I put it back in my old K-30 I and worker B&H saw spots again. B&H worker said that he does not know WHY we are see spots, and he offered me to change the camera.

I talked about it here https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/192274-pentax-k-30-first-shots-2.html

P.S.
I should add that the worker B&H before make test he make all the settings of my old camera K-30 like the camera K-30 at store B&H.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-02-2012 at 08:01 AM.
08-02-2012, 08:04 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. A.S. Quote
I think it was a problem with the camera. I take SD card with my old pictures and I put their in the new camera B&H. I don't see problem. When I put it back in my old K-30 I and worker B&H saw spots again. B&H worker said that he does not know WHY we are see spots, and he offered me to change the camera.
Maybe, maybe not -- weird things happen. But I still doubt it. Now you're saying the SAME files look different when looking at them on one camera to another? That really doesn't make sense. When things don't make sense, usually it is "user error" or misunderstanding...
08-02-2012, 08:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
..."user error" or misunderstanding...
Maybe, maybe not.

I walked into the store B&H after 3 weeks of use a camera that quickly focused my old Pentax K20D.
I went specifically to put the SD-card in another camera and see whether the differences.
What I am worried or annoyed?
Last weekend I made a few portraits my grandson, who five months.
Then I increased the images on the monitor of the camera K-30 and I see spots around his eyes, as if they were painted in different colors. I saw the picture painted by the artist with a brush, but not a portrait of my grandson.
This is an example of what I called above the spots.

Two of the workers store B&H saw it spots also. One suggested that I change my camera and he directed me to the costumer service B&H, and second worker costumer service, who changed the camera.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-02-2012 at 08:50 AM.
08-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mr. A.S. Quote
Maybe, maybe not.

I walked into the store after 3 weeks of use a camera that quickly focused my old K-20D.
I went specifically to put the SD-card in another camera and see whether the differences.
What I am worried or annoyed?
Last weekend I made a few portraits my grandson, who five months.
Then I increased the images on the monitor of the camera K-30 and I see spots around his eyes, as if they were painted in different colors. I saw the picture painted by the artist with a brush, but not a portrait of my grandson.
This is an example of what I called above the spots.

It also saw two of the employee store B&H. One suggested that I change my camera and he sent me to the costumer service B&H, and worker costumer service, who changed the camera.
I'm not arguing. Maybe it was broken. But you didn't post a portrait of your grandson with "spots". Someone else said they saw banding in your butterfly picture, but which actually didn't have any. So we've seen no evidence of any camera problems on this forum and that's what we're talking about. Naturally I can't comment on shots you haven't shown us. And also there is a bit of a communication gap as I am not quite in sync with your English, so I'm not sure what you are saying. The spots only appear on the LCD with the first camera -- they look fine on your new camera or a computer monitor? That sounds very weird -- a problem with the screen, not the image itself. And all of which is not related to the problems (or lack of) that we were actually commenting on -- the pictures posted here, which all look fine.
08-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
YES. I'm not saying all the fine detail in this thread, but a link to another topic I given earlier. (See my post #14 above.) I do not want to say that I can say about the new camera. Because my opinion is subjective and it is not the opinion of the expert. The only thing I know is that with the Pentax K20D camera for four years use I had no problems.

Last edited by Mr. A.S.; 08-02-2012 at 09:51 AM.
08-03-2012, 03:23 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I've had my share of minor (I hope) problems, but I'm still uncertain as of to what degree.

I depleted the first set of AA batteries few days ago and wondered a lot about never seeing any red battery indicator. Figured it probably was nothing. Today it depleted another set but this time I removed the AA adapter and then re-inserted it again and the camera would now turn on again (batteries fully depleted some 30-50 shots later - red battery indicator showed).

At one point the focusing was very odd (before it wouldn't turn on). The AF engaged after about 1 sec and lens focused one direction but not back. I repeated this several times and it happened all the times. I turned it off and on again and then it worked normally.

I already did almost 1000 exposures so I'm not too worried - but a little concerned? Yes.
08-03-2012, 07:30 AM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I depleted the first set of AA batteries few days ago and wondered a lot about never seeing any red battery indicator. Figured it probably was nothing. Today it depleted another set but this time I removed the AA adapter and then re-inserted it again and the camera would now turn on again (batteries fully depleted some 30-50 shots later - red battery indicator showed).
Do these cams that take AAs have any kind of battery-type choice in the menus? Lithium, alkaline, and rechargeables are all completely different in their power profiles -- no device can possibly detect when each is getting low without knowing what type it is, so if you can't set that then I wouldn't expect the battery indicator to work properly with the AAs except maybe with lithium AAs which probably are similar to the OEM battery. Basically I would expect it to be indicating low practically immediately with a rechargable.
08-03-2012, 07:33 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Do these cams that take AAs have any kind of battery-type choice in the menus? Lithium, alkaline, and rechargeables are all completely different in their power profiles -- no device can possibly detect when each is getting low without knowing what type it is, so if you can't set that then I wouldn't expect the battery indicator to work properly with the AAs except maybe with lithium AAs which probably are similar to the OEM battery. Basically I would expect it to be indicating low practically immediately with a rechargable.
My k-x has this option - Lithium, NiMH, and Alkaline.
08-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #27
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
My k-x has this option - Lithium, NiMH, and Alkaline.
Great. Then I suppose the K-30 does also. So first thing to double-check if you get battery indicator weirdness is to make sure you are using those choices and choosing the correct option. NiMH I think will always be a little off even though that's what most people will be using -- eneloop-style probably read differently from the older NiMHs.
08-03-2012, 07:45 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Great. Then I suppose the K-30 does also. So first thing to double-check if you get battery indicator weirdness is to make sure you are using those choices and choosing the correct option. NiMH I think will always be a little off even though that's what most people will be using -- eneloop-style probably read differently from the older NiMHs.
NiMH will be more accurate than Lithium/Alkaline if we are using rechargeables. I believe Lithium is rated for something like 2000 shots, while Alkaline is something like 400. My Eneloops in my k-x is pretty accurate, if a bit long on the red indicator side (as in, I can shoot for quite a while even when the indicator is red).
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
NiMH will be more accurate than Lithium/Alkaline if we are using rechargeables. I believe Lithium is rated for something like 2000 shots, while Alkaline is something like 400. My Eneloops in my k-x is pretty accurate, if a bit long on the red indicator side (as in, I can shoot for quite a while even when the indicator is red).
I wasn't suggesting that it be set to something else, just that there is a lot of variance between rechargeables with the new slow-discharge vs the older style and all with different peak values, etc. So it just may never be that accurate (with some types -- it is probably optimized for some particular type of NiMH).
08-03-2012, 07:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian

I wasn't suggesting that it be set to something else, just that there is a lot of variance between rechargeables with the new slow-discharge vs the older style and all with different peak values, etc. So it just may never be that accurate (with some types -- it is probably optimized for some particular type of NiMH).
Ah gotcha - yeah, there is variances because my Eneloops do last longer than my old energizer rechargeables. But it's not such a big variance that would cause what Zafar brought up - so most likely he has the battery type on the wrong setting.