Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 03:31 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I bought AA adapter for a borrowed K-r and if I decide to buy K-30, I'll most likely use AA batteries 99.9% of the time. The versatility of AA's is just too great to ignore IMO.

07-17-2012, 08:23 PM   #17
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Can someone confirm why buying a $15 adapter and a set of eneloops is better than simply buying four sets of OEM batteries, which would cost around the same and be less fiddly to use? Sheesh I was glad to leave my AA days behind me when I sold my k200d.
As others have said... to each his or her own. But I get more than 2000 shots with a single set of AA batteries in my K200D. I'd be lucky to get a quarter of that with the proprietary battery in my K-5. Not having to swap batteries over the course of a long shooting day or weekend is worth a lot to me. But if it's not for you, that's why you have a choice with the K-30.
07-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
I spent Sunday in a cemetery for four hours and took about 150 shots, plus another 50 or so random shots this week and the bar still looks full to me.
07-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I shot around 800-900 photos this weekend (K-r) before I had to change to a new set of AA batteries. OEM is rated to around 450 so I'd say there are definitely benefits.

07-18-2012, 12:05 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Can someone confirm why buying a $15 adapter and a set of eneloops is better than simply buying four sets of OEM batteries, which would cost around the same and be less fiddly to use? Sheesh I was glad to leave my AA days behind me when I sold my k200d.
OEM batteries cost more, don't they? Plus with an adapter you can use any AA batteries. If you run out of rechargeable ones you can just grab some lithium batteries or even alkaline ones and you're set to go. If I run out of my OEM batteries and I don't have an adapter, that's it till I can recharge them all. You could buy 4 OEM ones but I still prefer the AA's myself.
07-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was thinking about the AA issue and OEM batteries, the only advantage to OEMs I can think of is that they weigh less than a set of AAs.
07-30-2012, 01:24 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Just drained my first set of AA batteries. I ended up with 724 shots.
07-30-2012, 02:55 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Just drained my first set of AA batteries. I ended up with 724 shots.
What type of AAs were they?

07-30-2012, 03:03 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Sanyo XX 2400mAh.

My K-30 was dialed for maximum display brightness. It was on all the time. AF used for every single shot. No build in flash usage.
07-30-2012, 03:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
Sanyo XX 2400mAh.

My K-30 was dialed for maximum display brightness. It was on all the time. AF used for every single shot. No build in flash usage.
That sounds like a very high # of shots under those conditions.
07-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Indeed. The earlier 800-900 shots obtained with the K-r was with the display turned off a lot of the time while I also used manual focusing for a number of shots. Those numbers reflect my style of shooting a tad more than recent K-30 numbers since I still need to get used to K-30 - the menu on/off toggle in particular. Not sure exactly how much it means though.
11-11-2012, 12:02 AM   #27

Any updates on number of shots (OEM only-not interested in AA) now that everyone has had a bit of time to get a feel for the camera?
11-11-2012, 02:16 AM   #28
Veteran Member

I measured the current drain of my K100D years ago. Things have changed a lot since then but I doubt the general trend has.

Camera on and ready to shoot, no LCD = 80mA
LCD on = 200mA
During AF =>1A perhaps >2A, depends on lens 'drag' and obviously how quickly it gets the job done as to how long it lasts for.
During flash charging =>1A, time period depending how much charge was used up last time but the current decays quickly. Nothing much used after the flash is ready (that's the same for external flashguns by the way, about 10mA on my Sigma).
Taking a shot without flash = about 200mA for a second or two after taking it (LCD off but quick review on, so this is probably just the LCD taking the 200mA).

My conclusion at the time was that it's not so much the number of shots but more the length of time the camera is on (especally if the LCD was on) and the amount of AF needed that are the main factors. I won't be trying this with my K-30 before anyone asks! It's really tricky to do. I have half discharged the OEM and a spare 3rd party (Alpha Accesories eekbay <7, seems OK on 1st use) just getting used to the controls in the couple of days I've had a K-30.
11-11-2012, 03:24 AM   #29
Veteran Member

With normal shooting using the OVF the battery doesn't ever seem to finish. I always fully charge the battery before going out to shoot so I don't yet know how many photos it would shoot before ultimately running down. However I have at times shot way more than the 300 shots or so it is supposed to last and not run out of juice.

That all changes though if I use live view and/or long exposures. That kills the battery dead in no time. I think with such use the number of shots is irrelevant as what consumes the battery is not the actual shot but maintaining the live view, so you could easily run down the battery in less than an hour without having shot a single photo.

Just a few minutes of live view seems to consume more than hundreds of photos shot with OVF. Although it is to be expected that the CMOS sensor would drain a lot of power to run continuously I suspect that what is actually consuming most power is the mechanism that holds the mirror open (and perhaps the auto diaphragm actuator)

I say this because I found almost the same drain when locking up the mirror to clean the sensor. Once I got a phone call while cleaning the sensor and when I got off the phone the camera had turned itself off. When I turned it on the battery was completely drained even though I had fully charged it before starting. I had been on the phone for perhaps 20 to 30 minutes. I should think that the sensor itself wouldn't (shouldn't) be consuming any power in this situation.

The battery life can also be considerably reduced with some large lenses - I do sometimes run down when shooting with the Sigma 150-500 with the in lens stabiliser. I would spend most of the time with the trigger half pressed so in tracking CAF so the lens would be consuming power non stop for the stabiliser and focus motor. There is a lot of glass to shift around in that lens so I am not at all surprised it would be power hungry.

My experience with AA batteries is that only Eneloops or non-rechargeable photolithium batteries seem to be any good. Any other battery I consider only as an emergency stopgap if I run out of batteries.

Many other batteries will give up even after just a few seconds of live view. If you avoid live-view, flash, high speed shootingand time exposures then you can shoot a good number of photos with any brand of alkaline batteries but the camera will occasionally get stuck and need the batteries to be removed and reinserted.

The eneloops generally perform almost as well as the factory lithium battery. When occasionally they don;t I usually find it is due to dirty contacts in the AA adapter. I have a cheap Chinese one - maybe the overpriced Pentax item doesn't suffer from this problem.
11-11-2012, 06:46 AM   #30

Original Poster
I am guessing about 600+ or so.
I have actually never the batteries down shooting OVF.

Last couple of trips I took I just charged the battery befor eI left and that was it.

I did run down the battery one time shooting a lot of film on a slide copier with LV.
I think the battery was at about half to start. Shooting film I am on live view a lot.