Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-11-2012, 04:52 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NVSteve Quote
Any updates on number of shots (OEM only-not interested in AA) now that everyone has had a bit of time to get a feel for the camera?
449 today, no flash usage, review of most shots Battery ndicator now shows 3/4 full

12-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm really starting to get frustrated to a degree where I'd like to punch someone.

I reached 700 exposures shortly after I bought the K-30 on a set of Sanyo XX 2500mHa batteries. I expected more but the batteries were new but surely enough, after few more recharges, I reached about 1200-1300 exposures.

But it was a one time only thing and I have since then been having trouble even reaching 700 exposures.

I just changed batteries yesterday and they are already depleted after 264 exposures! I've on previous 3-4 occasions noticed the batteries depleting after somewhere between 300-400 exposures.

A have many Sanyo XX batteries, so it's not just a single set. I'm using Ansmann Energy 16 charger and also have a Ansmann Battery Tester. I haven't noticed anything weird with those.

How do I figure out whats going on without having to spend months to recognize a pattern and/or wasting tons of exposures?

Ps. All of my Sanyo XX are from this year - I bought the first ones at about early spring and then later again over the summer.
12-06-2012, 03:18 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I'm really starting to get frustrated to a degree where I'd like to punch someone.

I reached 700 exposures shortly after I bought the K-30 on a set of Sanyo XX 2500mHa batteries. I expected more but the batteries were new but surely enough, after few more recharges, I reached about 1200-1300 exposures.

But it was a one time only thing and I have since then been having trouble even reaching 700 exposures.

I just changed batteries yesterday and they are already depleted after 264 exposures! I've on previous 3-4 occasions noticed the batteries depleting after somewhere between 300-400 exposures.

A have many Sanyo XX batteries, so it's not just a single set. I'm using Ansmann Energy 16 charger and also have a Ansmann Battery Tester. I haven't noticed anything weird with those.

How do I figure out whats going on without having to spend months to recognize a pattern and/or wasting tons of exposures?

Ps. All of my Sanyo XX are from this year - I bought the first ones at about early spring and then later again over the summer.
Battery life in cameras is a funny old thing because cameras shut down at a certain precise voltage and yet NiMh batteries aren't always empty by the same percentage at the same voltage each time. With good condition batteries it does tend to mainly depend on how recently they were charged (yes, even Sanyos). For instance, right after a charge a cell might be 1.45v, leave it unused for a week and it might read 1.36v but it will still have the same capacity in mAh more or less - especially a low self-discharge type. The camera might shut off at 1.16v for instance, so it takes longer to get from 1.45v to 1.16v than it does 1.36v to 1.16v which can make for a big difference in no. of shots attained.

So, in your comparison, were the long lasting AAs freshly charged or had they 'rested' before using?

Other than that, lenses used could make a difference. They use a lot of juice during AF and presumably vary in how much. I know a Canon 5D owning friend was shocked how short a time his fresh batteries lasted at an air show when he used a borrowed a 300mm f2.8 and used the servo mode (like Pentax AF-C).
12-06-2012, 04:00 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The camera might shut off at 1.16v for instance, so it takes longer to get from 1.45v to 1.16v than it does 1.36v to 1.16v which can make for a big difference in no. of shots attained.

So, in your comparison, were the long lasting AAs freshly charged or had they 'rested' before using?
Interesting. I wasn't aware of this. What's the point of low discharge then?

I never paid attention to how freshly recharged they were especially because of the low discharge thing. If you are correct (not that I'm doubting you) then I'm a bit disappointed since I thought I could charge and use weeks later without worrying. I'd say week(s) passing from charge to usage would by a typical scenario.

12-06-2012, 04:45 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I'm actually rather confused now regarding how to use the batteries in best possible manner. Any suggestions?

I bring my camera with me pretty much all the time, however I may not be taking pictures all the time. Sometimes I do planned photo shoots and sometimes something spontaneous comes up where I might need cam + couple of flashes. Then there's stuff like wedding and event photography where I put most or all of the batteries in good use.

My understanding is, the batteries should be discharged before charging them again - but in order to do just that, a bunch of the batteries would have to sit and wait for weeks before they get to be used. Which again means, couple of hundred exposures, and I'm not too happy about that.
12-06-2012, 06:50 PM   #36
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Battery life in cameras is a funny old thing because cameras shut down at a certain precise voltage and yet NiMh batteries aren't always empty by the same percentage at the same voltage each time. With good condition batteries it does tend to mainly depend on how recently they were charged (yes, even Sanyos). For instance, right after a charge a cell might be 1.45v, leave it unused for a week and it might read 1.36v but it will still have the same capacity in mAh more or less - especially a low self-discharge type. The camera might shut off at 1.16v for instance, so it takes longer to get from 1.45v to 1.16v than it does 1.36v to 1.16v which can make for a big difference in no. of shots attained.

Other than that, lenses used could make a difference. They use a lot of juice during AF and presumably vary in how much. I know a Canon 5D owning friend was shocked how short a time his fresh batteries lasted at an air show when he used a borrowed a 300mm f2.8 and used the servo mode (like Pentax AF-C).
The AA batteries are in series so the voltage for four is 4X or around 5V.
12-07-2012, 11:52 AM   #37
Veteran Member

I'm actually rather confused now regarding how to use the batteries in best possible manner. Any suggestions?

I bring my camera with me pretty much all the time, however I may not be taking pictures all the time. Sometimes I do planned photo shoots and sometimes something spontaneous comes up where I might need cam + couple of flashes. Then there's stuff like wedding and event photography where I put most or all of the batteries in good use.

My understanding is, the batteries should be discharged before charging them again - but in order to do just that, a bunch of the batteries would have to sit and wait for weeks before they get to be used. Which again means, couple of hundred exposures, and I'm not too happy about that.
I've never had a problem topping up 3/4 charged AAs and my Hybrios are 6yrs old now, Eneloops 2yrs old. I've always had smart chargers that don't cook cells though.

There won't be much more settling of the cell voltage after about a week with low self-discharge NiMh like Eneloops etc, so whatever no. shots you get after a week will likely be much the same as after a month, but not as good as freshly charged. Ordinary NiMh carry on dropping in voltage for a bit longer but they're also losing capacity unlike Eneloops so will always be worse after a month. I've never had to do it, but charged cells keep better if stored in the fridge (not freezer!) but they need to be back up to ambient before you use them. Another thing that may be worth a try is the K-30 menu option for AAs might be better if set manually to NiMh rather than Auto but I'm only guessing, you would have to try it.

By the way, I bet your 200 shot depleted AAs will still work for ages in a flashgun as they don't have a low voltage cutoff.
12-09-2012, 03:24 PM   #38

Got my K-30 last Tuesday. Charge both batteries. However the Pentax battery went completely dead after taking may be 50 shots and playing with the menus. I charged it a couple of days ago and it appears to be holding it's own, but I am just playing with it at this time.I have never had this happen to me with my K-20, that is unexpected. Thanks for the posting I will watch this close.
By the way I love the K-30 so far. I made a good purchase.

Thanks

Theo

12-11-2012, 08:00 AM   #39

Have had my K-30 6 days and the Pentax battery will not hold a charge. The most I can get is about 50 shots and some menu time. I have had no luck contacting Pentax coustomer service by email so have now contact B & H and see if they can help me out. I am very happy with the K-30., However: I still have the original batteries I purchased with my K-20 4 years ago or so and they are still working great. I have another battery for my K-30 and that one seems to be working fine, so I assume it is not the camera.

Theo
12-13-2012, 05:11 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Has anyone had one long enough to completely drain the OEM battery?
Drain mine once a day. At first I thought it was because my camera was a demo and the battery might have gone dry at some point. So I now have a new one, charged battery full up, and shot 100 shots+ today and some video, and it is in the red again.
12-13-2012, 08:05 PM   #41

It appears it may be a camera problem. I get more than 700 shots from my K-20 and/or it lasts for weeks. I just sent my pentax battery back to B & H for a replacement.
Great, spend $1000,00 +. Oh well.

Theo
12-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I was at a bithday party today and thereby finally had a proper chance to test batteries. All batteries were recharged. Many didn't need much and were ready after 30 minutes tops.

950 shots with one of the cameras and never changed batteries Battery checker tells me I have 25% juice left. It's not exact but I don't think it's off by something like 20% either. I mostly used a manual lens though but shouldn't be the thing giving me that many extra exposures.
12-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #43
Veteran Member

I was at a bithday party today and thereby finally had a proper chance to test batteries. All batteries were recharged. Many didn't need much and were ready after 30 minutes tops.

950 shots with one of the cameras and never changed batteries Battery checker tells me I have 25% juice left. It's not exact but I don't think it's off by something like 20% either. I mostly used a manual lens though but shouldn't be the thing giving me that many extra exposures.
As you took so many shots in one session, I bet you didn't waste much time and battery power reviewing shots. That and no AF could make a massive difference.
12-24-2012, 04:38 PM   #44
Pentaxian

Pretty much true. I chimped a lot though since I used manual focusing and can help have a look. The screen was also on all of the time. I've so far topped close to 1300 exposures some time ago (with AF most of the time) - that too was during one session.

It's still good enough for me since I do weddings and other events and it would be rather annoying to have to change batteries frequently. It is a larger bummer though that the unused batteries will have to be charged again after one or two weeks of idling. This kind of charging doesn't take too long but I'm wondering if such recharging affects the life expectancy of 500 recharges.
12-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #45
Veteran Member

It is a larger bummer though that the unused batteries will have to be charged again after one or two weeks of idling. This kind of charging doesn't take too long but I'm wondering if such recharging affects the life expectancy of 500 recharges.
The worst life expectancy I've heard of with unsympathetic charging as long as the cells aren't getting cooked is about 200 cycles. That's still 4yrs life, charging weekly. My 6yr old Hybrios are still good.

The best you can do is use a smart charger that pulse charges and can refresh cells. Pulse charging is where the charging is turned off briefly every second or so in order that the charger can accurately monitor the achieved charge level. Without this, NiMh end of charge detection tends to get a bit blurry and can result in overcharging. Refreshing is where the cells are taken through a complete discharge before charging, perhaps worth doing every 3-6 months - it doesn't have huge benefits but every little bit helps. A lot of 4 separate channel smart AA chargers have these capabilities nowadays. I use a cheap one, cost about 12 and pulse charges at 1A which I think is about ideal. They usually have LCD screens.

If you don't mind waiting though, a trickle charger that charges at 1/10th of the capacity or less (so 200mA for Eneloops etc.) can't harm batteries whatever you do, but will take 10hrs+ to charge and there will be guesswork involved with part charged batteries but it won't hurt to leave them in too long. Most will have a safety timer anyway. This type can actually achieve 100% charge, unlike smart chargers which tend to leave a few % unused for safety although they usually revert to a trickle charge after the main charge so will eventually get to 100% after several hours more.