Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2013, 03:01 PM   #76

Photos: Albums
I am planning on a second battery and an AA adaptor. Unfortunately my eneloops (great batteries) were in my K-x and flash so I will have to get more of those too (and a flash!)

01-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #77
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
BTW, do we know how much this horizontal level thingy eats batteries? I do not have horizontal correction enabled but am using the level indicators. I might be wrong, but I think I did not use this feature when I first got the camera.
01-13-2013, 01:22 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
BTW, do we know how much this horizontal level thingy eats batteries? I do not have horizontal correction enabled but am using the level indicators. I might be wrong, but I think I did not use this feature when I first got the camera.
My level indicator has never been off, even during my 1000 shot AA test period. I've never used the level correction though.
01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #79
Pentaxian

I don't want to sound like a broken record but something just seems off to me.

I had a shoot last Thursday. All batteries were charged on the prior evening to it.

I had another shoot today. I only charged the batteries I used on the previous shoot. 2-3 days shouldn't matter too much, right? Or so I thought. Instead I went through 4 sets of batteries today :/

Set 1: Camera wouldn't turn on after 20-30 exposures.
Set 2: In the flash (metz 58 AF-II). Flash refused to turn on at all. I tried reinserting them but it didn't help.
Set 3: Used with the camera. Got me some 250ish exposures before they camera "died".
Set 4: Used for the remainder of the shots - 286 in total during today's shoot.

I used two other flashes as well (2 x Yongnuo 560) - I didn't have any issues with those. All flashes were used at medium to high/full power output.

I deliberately used Set 1 with the metz (after it wouldn't turn on). This flash then worked for the remainder of the day.

I used my Cactus v5's couple of days ago. The receiver end died after about 2 hours. That seems super low to me. I have regular AAA Eneloops for these. One set fully recharged in less than an hours (probably the set used on the transmitting end) while the other took several - makes sense, you say? Well, read on.

I used Cactus again today as well, for pretty much 2 hours also (just checked photo times).

I checked the status of the batteries with my battery tester - naturally I have no idea which Cactus I used as receiver and which one as transmitter but the battery tester shows:

Set 1: 100%
Set 2: 100+% whatever that means. One extra led beyond 100% gets lit, though there green 100% car covers several leds. Might just mean 100%).

I also checked the "used" batteries - I didn't take notes of where they came from while I was out shooting, so can't say anything about that.

Set 1: 0%
Set 2: 75%
Set 3: 100%

The metz turns on with all of these now. Don't ask why. And in case anyone might be thinking I may have had inserted the batteries in wrong fashion: no, I can't even close the battery compartment unless the batteries are inserted correctly.

Batteries from all flashes show 0% juice left. This might be valid (meaning, according to how I used them). I rarely use flashes a lot and have previously only once had to change batteries during a long shoot. My frame of reference regarding flashes is very limited.

I also checked checked the unused batteries:

3 sets of AA's: 100%
2 sets of AAA Eneloops: 100+% (one extra led is lit - might not mean anything).

All of my AA batteries are Sanyo XX 2500mHa.

I started off with poor performance after batteries resting for a month or two. Seems rechargeable, especially sanyo XX drops voltage quick according to some of the replies and some reading I've done. Ok, fair enough but I've then had shoots where batteries gave me more exposures than what I'm now experiencing - now, even a flash was affected - though it might be too early to say.

Could it be a faulty recharger? I don't want to send it in because of a vague suspicion. and all of the unused batteries are at 100% which indicates it shouldn't be. I'm still very confused over all this.

01-26-2013, 05:15 PM   #80
Pentaxian

I think something is wrong with my charger.

I inserted the 3 used sets after writing the previous post. Now I just went by the charger and 8 of the leds are off (2 complete sets of batteries). They are only supposed to be off if there's no battery inserted or there is no power to the charger.

I tried moving some of the batteries to the slots where the led is on and I get same results. Batteries from the working slots inserted to the bad ones = no led.

Seems like a clear case now, yes?
01-27-2013, 04:50 AM   #81
Veteran Member

The charger does seem suspect. The cheap one I've got doesn't seem to be on sale unfortunately, a shame as it does the job nicely. It looks a bit like the 9.95 Lloytron one on Amazon UK.
01-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #82
Pentaxian

Thanks. My charger is only 6 months old. I'll first looking into having it fixed or replaced.

I'm currently using a much older Ansmann Accufresh 4 Plus. Haven't used it for years till now. It's rated at 16h of recharging time for 1800mah batteries :P
01-27-2013, 03:07 PM   #83
Veteran Member

Leave it on for about 24hrs for 2500mAh batteries. As it's a trickle charger it won't hurt to leave it on a bit longer than really necessary.

01-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #84
Pentaxian

Yes, I'll do that. I wrote to the dealer and they'll be sending a new charger even before I've sent the faulty one back to them. Super service!
01-29-2013, 05:23 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Am I better off getting a second possibly third Lithium Pentax battery as backups, or would I get better battery life from getting a whole bunch of enloops and the battery holder.
I have no idea how the two compare as I hadn't ever heard of enloops until this thread - do they tend to give longer life?
01-29-2013, 05:50 AM   #86
Pentaxian

I've been having charger related issue at the performance i therefor not super clear to me. I'd say yes anyways - I've been up at 1200-1300 on one set of Sanyo XX 2500maH batteries and I wasn't thinking about conserving power back then. The classic Eneloops should give you around 900 exposures. I've at most had 450 exposures with the Lithium battery.
02-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #87
Pentaxian

Just came home from my first event shoot since I got the new charger.

Camera 1: 1085 before I decided to pack up. No battery changes, no re-insert to force the camera to continue. No nothing

Camera 2: about 150

Not sure why the set in cam 2 was like that :/
02-28-2013, 12:37 AM   #88

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Eneloops are getting me around 1000 shots, took almost 900 before battery went in yellow, so think I could get at least another 100 or so. Factory-supplied Lithium-Ion D-LI109 got me around 400-500.

B
02-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #89
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Factory-supplied Lithium-Ion D-LI109 got me around 400-500.
That's about what I get as well, my Horusbennu 3rd party batteries also seem to give me exactly the same as the pentax provided one (and at only a price of $13)
This is more or less sufficient for me, whether I go to shoot a hockey game for 2-3 hours or go to studio for 2 hours, I don't really eat through a single battery, but keep 2 more in my bag.
04-20-2013, 04:52 AM   #90

I have a new Pentax K30 and the battery has run out twice anf the total number of pictures is about 70. I am not happy. I am wondering whether to switch to rechargeable AAs or buy another lithium battery.