Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-20-2013, 05:43 AM   #91
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by SideLong Quote
I have a new Pentax K30 and the battery has run out twice anf the total number of pictures is about 70. I am not happy. I am wondering whether to switch to rechargeable AAs or buy another lithium battery.
I got these 2 x D LI109 DLI109 Li ion Battery for Pentax K R DSLR New | eBay . I have not checked for number of shots, but each seems last long as twice as the Pentax D-LI 109.

04-20-2013, 10:17 AM   #92

I think my issue may be that I am used to leaving Pentax cameras on - my K100D didn't mind being left on (batteries lasted as long). So I am going to be strict about turning off. And I have ordered the AA battery 'slip-in case'. We'll see what happens.
04-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #93
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My Pentax battery and the 3rd party battery lasted 3 hours each at the recent motor show in Singapore.
05-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #94
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
My Pentax battery and the 3rd party battery lasted 3 hours each at the recent motor show in Singapore.
For video, I suppose?

I recently downgraded firmware to v1.01 for unrelated reasons and last two sets of AAA) batteries gave me 200-300 exposures.

I upgraded to v1.04 again today and am once again back at 800 - I have a red level indicator, but batteries haven't depleted yet.

Edit: oh, I had totally forgotten that I'm not even on AAA baterries. The cam is running with the OEM battery

Last edited by Zafar Iqbal; 05-11-2013 at 06:39 AM.
05-11-2013, 07:53 AM   #95
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
For video, I suppose?

I recently downgraded firmware to v1.01 for unrelated reasons and last two sets of AAA) batteries gave me 200-300 exposures.

I upgraded to v1.04 again today and am once again back at 800 - I have a red level indicator, but batteries haven't depleted yet.

Edit: oh, I had totally forgotten that I'm not even on AAA baterries. The cam is running with the OEM battery

Nope, my son used it to shoot the Tokyo Auto Salon in Singapore while he was there with his friends. On video, it could last very long. I have not really watched the time though.
05-14-2013, 03:07 PM   #96
Veteran Member

Another incident with 800+ exposures on the OEM battety. This time using Liveview most of the time. The OEM is starting to make my Sanyo XX batteries look bad!
05-18-2013, 02:11 PM   #97
Veteran Member

Shot for some hours today using Sanyo XX batteries and ended up with 830 exposures. The OEM is making these look very bad indeed.

06-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #98
Veteran Member

From a wedding yesterday:

Set 1, body 1: 1550-ish (new record).
Set 2, body 2: 800-ish (depleted within minutes from set 1.. "funny" coincidence).
Set 3, body 1: 1350-ish

All batteries were charged the evening before the wedding. I've lately noticed that charging just a couple of days too early, will limit battery performance a lot.

I'm still disappointed by this but this is apparently how life is with rechargeable AAA's.
06-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #99

Photos: Albums
From a wedding yesterday:

Set 1, body 1: 1550-ish (new record).
Set 2, body 2: 800-ish (depleted within minutes from set 1.. "funny" coincidence).
Set 3, body 1: 1350-ish

All batteries were charged the evening before the wedding. I've lately noticed that charging just a couple of days too early, will limit battery performance a lot.

I'm still disappointed by this but this is apparently how life is with rechargeable AAA's.
Are they all Sanyo XX and of the same age/# uses?
06-23-2013, 08:59 AM   #100
Veteran Member

All Sanyo XX and the oldest are few months older than the most recent ones I bought. I have them all numbered so it's always the same sets used together.

I can't identify the age of each set - I didn't add that information on the labels.
06-23-2013, 09:34 AM   #101

All Sanyo XX and the oldest are few months older than the most recent ones I bought. I have them all numbered so it's always the same sets used together.

I can't identify the age of each set - I didn't add that information on the labels.
Thanks. I have just got my first set of Sanyo and only used twice but I have heard they do get better after a few uses. Regardless they are substantially better then the other low current drain batteries I have. The non Sanyo last for a long time in my Metz flash but not long (maybe 100 shots or less) in my K 30.
06-23-2013, 10:13 AM   #102
Veteran Member

100 shots or less is very little but perhaps normal when they are brand new.

The Sanyo XX totally rocks when using with flashes. I don't have a solid estimate since I don't uses flash a lot, but a good impression is, that they'll last for 300-400 exposures at full power using Metz 58 AF-II and Yongnuo YN-560.

Sanyo XX are the only rechargeables I have experience with (beside OEM), and I'm a bit more worried when using them with the camera. First and foremost because I apparantly wasn't fully aware how to get the most out of them and therefore have been experiencing mixed performances, but also because the battery indicator on the camera is so-so. It tends to be OK, but yesterday I got red battery indicator on both cameras after about 80-100 exposures. This is first time it has been this much off and I'm not sure why. It's most likely a firmware issue.

But obviously, the cameras kept going. I would have panicked if it wasn't for my past experience with the batteries
06-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #103

100 shots or less is very little but perhaps normal when they are brand new.

The Sanyo XX totally rocks when using with flashes. I don't have a solid estimate since I don't uses flash a lot, but a good impression is, that they'll last for 300-400 exposures at full power using Metz 58 AF-II and Yongnuo YN-560.

Sanyo XX are the only rechargeables I have experience with (beside OEM), and I'm a bit more worried when using them with the camera. First and foremost because I apparantly wasn't fully aware how to get the most out of them and therefore have been experiencing mixed performances, but also because the battery indicator on the camera is so-so. It tends to be OK, but yesterday I got red battery indicator on both cameras after about 80-100 exposures. This is first time it has been this much off and I'm not sure why. It's most likely a firmware issue.

But obviously, the cameras kept going. I would have panicked if it wasn't for my past experience with the batteries
The 100 shots was with a non Sanyo brand of supposed low current drain battery. I ended up buying a charger that individually monitors and charges each of four cells and that should maximize battery use.

No question that the battery charge indicator is challenged by the AA's. I did switch from letting the camera auto determine type of cell to Li ion and that helped some but the camera still fires on for quite some time after getting the red outlined battery indicator. It also drops to showing 1/2 to 2/3 charged pretty quickly. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it is a firmware fix that is needed so hopefully that will come along sometime soon.
06-23-2013, 12:08 PM   #104
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bcorson Quote
The 100 shots was with a non Sanyo brand of supposed low current drain battery. I ended up buying a charger that individually monitors and charges each of four cells and that should maximize battery use.

No question that the battery charge indicator is challenged by the AA's. I did switch from letting the camera auto determine type of cell to Li ion and that helped some but the camera still fires on for quite some time after getting the red outlined battery indicator. It also drops to showing 1/2 to 2/3 charged pretty quickly. I am pretty sure I read somewhere that it is a firmware fix that is needed so hopefully that will come along sometime soon.
Might it be because the camera is monitoring battery voltage opposite what it considers to be a minimum threshold voltage? If the threshold is approached despite a lot of charge remaining in the AAs, then it's going to throw off the camera's charge indicator. IIRC, NiMH batteries are relatively low in voltage and this could aggravate the whole process. Maybe someone who really knows about this can chime in. I most likely don't.
06-23-2013, 12:24 PM   #105
Veteran Member

I have no idea how the inner workings are but the indicator on both camera was more off than usual.

Typically it might be something like this: 10-20% Green, 60-80% Orange and 20% Red.

The 20% red portion should be much smaller IMO.

My K-x was much more predictable after a firmware fix but this was with ordinary AA's, not rechargeable AA batteries.