Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-23-2013, 03:16 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
I have no idea how the inner workings are but the indicator on both camera was more off than usual.

Typically it might be something like this: 10-20% Green, 60-80% Orange and 20% Red.

The 20% red portion should be much smaller IMO.

My K-x was much more predictable after a firmware fix but this was with ordinary AA's, not rechargeable AA batteries.
Maybe because ordinary AA batteries (either alkaline or lithium) are 1.5 V instead of 1.25 V typical of NiMH rechargeables.

06-23-2013, 04:48 PM   #107
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Zafar Iqbal Quote
... but yesterday I got red battery indicator on both cameras after about 80-100 exposures. This is first time it has been this much off and I'm not sure why. It's most likely a firmware issue.

But obviously, the cameras kept going. I would have panicked if it wasn't for my past experience with the batteries
Looking at your usage count in the previous post for body 1 versus body 2, you might want to check how you have your camera menu set for indicating the type of AA battery. I recommend changing 'Auto' to 'NiMH' for eneloops.
06-24-2013, 12:18 AM   #108
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
Looking at your usage count in the previous post for body 1 versus body 2, you might want to check how you have your camera menu set for indicating the type of AA battery. I recommend changing 'Auto' to 'NiMH' for eneloops.

Sure, my settings are synced to minimize any confusion. I double checked and both cams are set to NiMH.
06-24-2013, 04:45 AM   #109
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Summer:Lake Superior - Michigan Winter:Texas Hill Country
I can understand leaving the camera on during an active part of event photography. I tend to turn my camera off whenever practical. One big advantage is it allows my batteries (over simplified chemical explanation) to catch up. When I turn my camera back on, many times what was a yellow indicator is now again green and will remain so for a significant number of shots. It is a bit like folks who turn off the car's motor and coast down hills to save fuel.

06-24-2013, 07:10 AM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So far my 1st K30's original battery lasted about 600++ photos and the 3rd party one I bought also gave the same amount of use.

I just bought another brand of 3rd party battery and this brand was used on my k5 which lasted a month and a half before depleting.
09-15-2013, 06:48 AM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
At this point I thought 'enough's enough'. 1000 shots is enough for anything surely, so I then put the K-30 into playback showing an image and turned power saving off. Every 20 mins approx I tried out Live View for one shot to see if its high current would shut the camera down. It did, but not for another 2 hours!

so, finally:-
1006 shots + further 2 hours of playback --> SHUTDOWN ........... 4.64v
As another data point, I put my K-30 into interval mode and let it take a picture every 5 seconds for a while. After a total of 1400 shots, the battery was still showing green. This was with Eneloops, no flash, and the rear monitor lit for about 2/3rds of them. I guess these results are too good to be representative of real use; there was probably less autofocus going on than normal, for example. Hence I don't think there's much point in further testing with interval shooting.
09-16-2013, 12:34 PM   #112
Forum Member

using original 1100mAh Li-Ion battery in my K-30 I usually get 500-550 shots till battery indicator glow red (no flash, monitor is ON)
additional non OEM D-LI109 costs 6.5 USD each.
It is compact, lightweight and I ordered additional 2 packs+ charger.
fast charging with original or almost zero cost non-original charger. even with car-lighter adapter.
also at my battery grip I can use D-Li90 2000mAh, if I'll grab 3 of them for 23 USd, I will never be power-less.

but - at flashguns I still using MiMh (LSD) cans. and good charger for it costs about 40 USD...

if I will able to find Lithium battery for my flashguns - I will stop using any AA at all...