Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 02:39 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
K-30 video test

Same performance recorded at different angles by 3 different cameras .

1 : Pentax K-30



2 : Canon T3i


3 : Canon HG21


I also recorded the audio separately with the mikes shown in the video, but have not yet synchronized the audio with any of the videos, as I wanted to also show the audio quality difference.

07-17-2012, 04:35 AM   #2
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,238
Canon has better sound. Camcorder is much better than DSLR
07-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Aug 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 414
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Canon has better sound. Camcorder is much better than DSLR
We should consider, cameras were not installed at the same place, which may impact the recorded sound and its quality.

As for me, not a big difference except for the WB... it seemed that Pentax has less sound noise.
07-17-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Site Supporter




Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Durham, North Carolina
Posts: 118
Thanks for doing this test and nice playing.
To me the Canon T3i had slightly better sound but it's video seemed less fluid than either the Pentax or the camcorder (which was clearly the best of all).
As someone who does not shoot video enough to matter I would rather have the Pentax with it's less dynamic audio and superior photo quality over the T3i higher video quality and lower photo quality (due to lower DR and read noise vertical banding).

07-17-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member
anthony mazzeri's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2012
Photos: Albums
Posts: 312
QuoteOriginally posted by robwill Quote
To me the Canon T3i had slightly better sound but it's video seemed less fluid than either the Pentax or the camcorder (which was clearly the best of all).
I'm wondering if that's just because the camcorder video is recorded interlaced instead of progressive. It definitely has the best auto white balance though.

If you view in 1080 and full screen, you can clearly see the pixelating compression artifacts on the side of the piano are very animated in the T3i version so by far the worst in video quality. We can't see this with the camcorder due to the different angle, but it's still evident a bit in the black chairs at the rear. The K-30 is a different angle again so it's only really discernable in the piano lid, but not as much as the other two. The side of the K-30 piano is near pristine compared to the very blotchy T3i one, but solid dark materials will always show it more though.

Thanks for posting these comparisons. I'll be very interested to hear the match-up between all those mics positioned in the same spot.

Edit - I'm working on the assumption the artifacts aren't being caused by Youtube instead..

Last edited by anthony mazzeri; 07-17-2012 at 06:49 PM.
07-17-2012, 06:37 PM   #6
Site Supporter




Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Prince George, BC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,342
Nicely played. I second the request that these three cameras should have been shot from the same position. The camcorder has the favored position nearest the piano soundboard and will naturally have the best sound of the three as a result.

Jack
07-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
Canon has better sound. Camcorder is much better than DSLR
Which of the 2 Canon do you think has the better sound ?

As for camcorder being better than DSLR, did you mean audio or video ?
07-18-2012, 12:43 AM   #8
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
We should consider, cameras were not installed at the same place, which may impact the recorded sound and its quality.

As for me, not a big difference except for the WB... it seemed that Pentax has less sound noise.
Strange you would say that. IMO, the Pentax has the worst audio of the 3, by a long shot.

07-18-2012, 12:47 AM   #9
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Vasyl Quote
We should consider, cameras were not installed at the same place, which may impact the recorded sound and its quality.
The position of cameras affects the sound, but mostly the volume. In the original files, before youtube upload, the audio from the camcorder is much too loud vs the audio from the two DSLRs. I think Youtube does some normalizing of the audio.
07-18-2012, 12:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by robwill Quote
Thanks for doing this test and nice playing.
To me the Canon T3i had slightly better sound but it's video seemed less fluid than either the Pentax or the camcorder (which was clearly the best of all).
I agree the video on the T3i is not as good as the Pentax or the camcorder.

I don't agree that the camcorder is clearly the best, I actually prefer the Pentax picture.

The white balance was clearly wrong on the camcorder. Both DSLRs got the white balance right.

QuoteQuote:
As someone who does not shoot video enough to matter I would rather have the Pentax with it's less dynamic audio and superior photo quality over the T3i higher video quality and lower photo quality (due to lower DR and read noise vertical banding).
IMO, the audio on the Pentax is so bad as to make it useless, unless you want to make silent movies.
07-18-2012, 12:53 AM   #11
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
I'm wondering if that's just because the camcorder video is recorded interlaced instead of progressive. It definitely has the best auto white balance though.

If you view in 1080 and full screen, you can clearly see the pixelating compression artifacts on the side of the piano are very animated in the T3i version so by far the worst in video quality. We can't see this with the camcorder due to the different angle, but it's still evident a bit in the black chairs at the rear. The K-30 is a different angle again so it's only really discernable in the piano lid, but not as much as the other two. The side of the K-30 piano is near pristine compared to the very blotchy T3i one, but solid dark materials will always show it more though.

Thanks for posting these comparisons. I'll be very interested to hear the match-up between all those mics positioned in the same spot.

Edit - I'm working on the assumption the artifacts aren't being caused by Youtube instead..
Yes, there are some moire patterns on the piano strings in the T3i version. It is very pronounced. This is not a youtube artifact, it is there in the original footage.
If the other cameras were in the same spot this might happen too.

I probably won't bother mixing the other mics in as this wasn't a good performance IMO, just for testing.

A far as the audio goes, both Canon record in stereo and have a large edge over the Pentax mono audio which is also 32 Khz and very low quality.

The Canon HG21 camcorder was using an add-on microphone, the DM-100, which is using the "mini shoe" connector of the camcorder.
07-18-2012, 01:24 AM   #12
Pentaxian
twitch's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 4,571
Just wondered what kind of price bracket the Canon camcorder would slot in today? We talking a $200 cam or a $1k cam?
07-18-2012, 01:53 AM   #13
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twitch Quote
Just wondered what kind of price bracket the Canon camcorder would slot in today? We talking a $200 cam or a $1k cam?
The HG21 was a $1K camcorder four years ago, top of the consumer line. The only one to feature an optical viewfinder.
The DM-100 mic is $150.

Here is a pic of it shot with the K-30.

Last edited by madbrain; 08-30-2013 at 06:10 PM.
07-18-2012, 07:27 AM   #14
ogl
Pentaxian
ogl's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Siberia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,238
QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Which of the 2 Canon do you think has the better sound ?

As for camcorder being better than DSLR, did you mean audio or video ?
The both. I mean audio and video for camcoder.
K-30 has a bit better video than Canon DSLR, but worse sound.
07-18-2012, 04:43 PM   #15
Veteran Member
madbrain's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: San Jose, CA
Posts: 806
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
The both. I mean audio and video for camcoder.
Agree that the audio is better on the camcorder, it has a dedicated mic though. The built-in audio without the mic attached is not as good.

Don't really agree that the camcorder has the best video of the 3, certainly not correct AWB.

I forgot to mention that all 3 cameras were in auto exposure modes in this test.

QuoteQuote:
K-30 has a bit better video than Canon DSLR, but worse sound.
Yes, I agree with that.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
canon, dslr, k-30, k-50, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, t3i, test, video, youtube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My K-01 Test video baholbrook Pentax K-01 24 04-16-2012 04:39 PM
K-01 Video Test SweetPixels Pentax K-01 15 03-11-2012 06:16 AM
first quick video test @ 1000mm jogiba Pentax K-01 11 03-09-2012 02:02 AM
First Pentax Q 1080p video test ! jogiba Video and Pentax HDSLRs 5 09-22-2011 10:52 AM
new K-5 owners: jello video test? kenyee Video and Pentax HDSLRs 3 11-03-2010 06:04 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top