Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM   #31
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rumpole Quote
Has it been confirmed that the container is actually .mov format and not the newer MP4? I don't have a K30 but the manual says MP4.
It's .mov files that use the H.264 codec, not mjpeg.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-17-2012, 12:07 PM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great review! I think the fact that, as a K5 owner, you felt the AF was noticeably more responsive in normal shooting, speaks volumes and perhaps more relevant than lab tests. Looks a great camera, probably my next upgrade. It's a pity about the battery compartment in that a full size K5 Liion can't be used. Non OEM batteries are so cheap I just can't understand the appeal of AAs anymore.
07-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #33
Pentaxian

Really fantastic review, especially the AF testing portion. I really appreciate the effort put into that, and it was written up nicely as well.

One tiny (and I mean microscopic) nitpick: On the "New Features" page it seems to say that the multi-thumbnail image playback modes are shared with the K-5, but that the "Calendar Filmstrip" is new.

I have the Calendar Filmstrip mode enabled on my K-5 right now -- I'm not sure if it's useful or not (that's another question entirely!), but I sort of stumbled into it the day before yesterday and I'm giving it a test-drive.
07-17-2012, 12:41 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's .mov files that use the H.264 codec, not mjpeg.
That's an interesting choice. When the formats are so similar, I wonder why they went for the older proprietary Apple version (.mov) and not the newer ISO standard (.mp4). Maybe licensing fees.

Anyway, if you don't want to pay for Quicktime Pro there is an excellent free remux tool called Subler: link
It will convert .mov to .mp4 very quickly and with no loss of quality, since it merely demuxes the H.264 video from the .mov and remuxes it into a an .mp4 file without reencoding.

07-17-2012, 01:07 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
I just can't understand the appeal of AAs anymore
When you travel with camera, flash and kids, a handful of charged up eneloops is all you need. Very convenient when your batteries can do double or even triple duty. That's on top of the option to grab some AAs (no matter how expensive) and any gift shop when you're caught without a charged proprietary battery at a major tourist attraction and wanting to document being there with your family. I realize that if that's alkaline you're not talking many pics but it's still more convenient than returning the next day with charged up proprietary batteries ;-) ...and sure, you could grab a disposable or even beg a fellow tourist to let you stuff your SD card in their cam to snap a few pics... but still, why? I LOVE the option to use AA and since the Eneloops outlast it, I really don't have much use for the proprietary battery. Even if it was twice as big and twice as good, it still wouldn't fit in my flash when the batteries in there die.... or the kid's leapster on a airplane... you get the idea. Very convenient option for the Entry/Mid level DSLR owner.
07-17-2012, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
Great review! I think the fact that, as a K5 owner, you felt the AF was noticeably more responsive in normal shooting, speaks volumes and perhaps more relevant than lab tests. Looks a great camera, probably my next upgrade. It's a pity about the battery compartment in that a full size K5 Liion can't be used. Non OEM batteries are so cheap I just can't understand the appeal of AAs anymore.
I like AA for several reasons -

1) If anything happens to my OEM batteries, I have to wait for new OEMs to ship in. AA means I can go to my corner store.
2) I don't need to carry multiple OEM batteries when traveling abroad. In fact, I don't even need to carry a charger. I can easily buy Lithium AA's at most airports, take the thousand or so rated pictures, toss the batteries for the trip home.
3) I can share batteries with the flash unit.

As far as I am concerned, having AA compatibility is a plus in my book.
07-17-2012, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

1) If anything happens to my OEM batteries, I have to wait for new OEMs to ship in. AA means I can go to my corner store.
2) I don't need to carry multiple OEM batteries when traveling abroad. In fact, I don't even need to carry a charger. I can easily buy Lithium AA's at most airports, take the thousand or so rated pictures, toss the batteries for the trip home.

I fully agree! I am surprise Adam didn't view this as a unique feature of Pentax DSLR!! Some review of K-30 highlight and praising this, saying something like "Pentax is the only company that have DSLR powered by AAs".
In fact, I want it in my K5!

This, is the only flaw in the review, IMHO.

07-17-2012, 02:03 PM - 1 Like   #38

I will just add, as an avid RC airplane hobbyist in addition to photography, I have a shed load of rechargeable AA batteries and it is a huge bonus for me to be able to put those to use for almost endless picture taking. A huge plus in my book for sure. I also have kids and the AA solution is a big boon!
07-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Lee, I wrote this review, not Adam.

I agree that the AA compatibility has advantages (especially for those who travel often or live in a locale where it's difficult to source the OEM battery packs), and as I suggested in the review (twice) not everyone will agree with my perspective on the matter. I simply prefer the OEM battery pack for my uses and wish the K-30 could use the whole battery compartment accordingly.

And it's kind of a separate matter, but I think that if Pentax is going to offer AA compatibility, they really ought to include the AA adapter with the camera.
07-17-2012, 02:20 PM   #40

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
I think that if Pentax is going to offer AA compatibility, they really ought to include the AA adapter with the camera.
Amen!
07-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Lee, I wrote this review, not Adam.

I agree that the AA compatibility has advantages (especially for those who travel often or live in a locale where it's difficult to source the OEM battery packs), and as I suggested in the review (twice) not everyone will agree with my perspective on the matter. I simply prefer the OEM battery pack for my uses and wish the K-30 could use the whole battery compartment accordingly.

And it's kind of a separate matter, but I think that if Pentax is going to offer AA compatibility, they really ought to include the AA adapter with the camera.
You could have mention something like "Many forum members prefer the AA compatibility and actually see it as an advantage". Since you are using Pentaxforum as the reviewer - not your own review.
But I agree they should include that $0.20 piece of plastic into the box.
07-17-2012, 02:46 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I think that if Pentax is going to offer AA compatibility, they really ought to include the AA adapter with the camera.
Definitely!
07-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #43
Banned

This I share with you!

I hope Pentax brings out a new flash that takes the D-Li90 battery pack that also goes into the K-5/K-01/645D so we can share it with the camera and only need some spare D-Li90's. But that also needs to take a discision to use that batterypack for at least the next 5-8 years.
07-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #44

A brilliant and well written review. Lots of useful and detailed information. Maybe would have liked a few more "compared to the K-r" type comments rather than to the K-01 as I think this will be the most common (and K-x) upgrade path. So presumably I will notice a big difference with AF abilities from K-r. What do you think will be the three most obvious benefits to those upgrading from K-x, K-r?
07-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #45
Veteran Member

Wonderful review.... very helpful.

Just got my K-30 and though I am an experienced Pentax user I found the section on settings very user friendly.... I wish all reviews were as great and as helpful as this one.

Also was it just my eyes or are the Jpeg pics in the drop down ISO comparison test sharper than the raw?

Neil