Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
09-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #76

very good review!
a little suggestion: can you do same autofocus tests on accuracy and speed with some Canon/Nikon`s competitve models?

09-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #77

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Тhere is a mistake in the dynamic range section. The file for K30 RAW on basic EV is not the one for RAW performance but the JPEG, maybe wrong link.
Overall after half an hour looking at the images at 100% I could say that the K30 has less dynamic range but just a little and more noise reduction in shadows. The K5 has more contrasty and colourful shadow information, the colour noise reduction in RAW of the K30 makes the colour detail blurred in shadows. It is easy to be seen in the shadows in the test where the leaves of the plant looks flat and the flowers of the plant look green(in the K5 sample they are yellow).

So now I'm in great dilema - K5(better photos) against K30(better movie). Must decide these days!
PS I think that even the JPEG of the K5 is better, yes it has more noise but also much more colour and chroma detail!
01-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #78
Forum Member

Just wanted to poke my head into this thread to say that y'all's in-depth review of the K-30 was the final piece of the puzzle in cementing my choice of WHICH Pentax DSLR to buy.

Thank you for this excellent site, and for doing such excellent work. This is truly a valuable resource that I will be combing through on a daily basis from here on out, and yes, now that I nosed around and found all the info about donating, I'll be hitting my PayPal account to send some your way today. Many, many thanks again.

After just two days, doing nothing put essentially "pointing and shooting on auto like a big dweeb", it already feels like the K-30 has been surgically welded to my hand. I've cracked the first volume of the Kelby books, and have been slowly going through the K-30 manual, trying to figure out the menus and settings. With the help of the info stored and collective wisdom displayed on this forum, I ***WILL*** learn to use this thing properly!
01-20-2013, 01:39 PM   #79
Veteran Member

Glad to hear we could help, beebs!

05-21-2013, 11:00 AM   #80
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Do you think that that is because of the 12-bit vs. 14-bit and the weaker AA filter which adds sharpness, but I assume, might make noise more prominent?

And, is your conclusion based on JPEG or RAW files?

QuoteOriginally posted by simbon4o Quote
Тhere is a mistake in the dynamic range section. The file for K30 RAW on basic EV is not the one for RAW performance but the JPEG, maybe wrong link.
Overall after half an hour looking at the images at 100% I could say that the K30 has less dynamic range but just a little and more noise reduction in shadows. The K5 has more contrasty and colourful shadow information, the colour noise reduction in RAW of the K30 makes the colour detail blurred in shadows. It is easy to be seen in the shadows in the test where the leaves of the plant looks flat and the flowers of the plant look green(in the K5 sample they are yellow).

So now I'm in great dilema - K5(better photos) against K30(better movie). Must decide these days!
PS I think that even the JPEG of the K5 is better, yes it has more noise but also much more colour and chroma detail!
06-30-2021, 08:48 PM   #81

I just traded some old lenses for a used K-30. Hopefully I'll be able to use it as my backup camera.