Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2012, 06:05 AM   #1
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K-30 In-Depth Review by PentaxForums.com

The Pentax K-30 review is now here! Enjoy!

Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

See also our members' K-30 reviews as well as the official announcement:

Pentax K-30 - Digital SLRs - Member Reviews and Specifications

Pentax K-30 Officially Announced - Pentax Camera News & Rumors - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2012, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations. I've read most of the sections and it's much more complete than anything else on the net that has been shared here on the K-30.
07-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Thanks a lot for attempting to incorporate a low-light AF test.

Unfortunately, the results are inconclusive because
  1. EV 3 does probably not create the "low light" situation with an f/1.8 lens,the K-5 would have failed with (depending on how the EV value was obtained).
  2. the K-5 was not available for a comparison.
N.B., there is no doubt that the K-5 has an issue. I have heard that Pentax indirectly admitted to this fact. The fact that the tester's K-5 never showed this issue is most likely down to the test conditions used for it.

As for the other AF tests, they appear to be very inconclusive as well, allowing a lot of error with correct focus targets, etc.

I realise the above may come across as "moaning" but I honestly feel that we need more rigorous tests before we actually know whether (and if so, how so) the K-30's AF is an improvement of the the K-5's.

BTW, in the "AF section" two links for "K-30 and K-5 a run for their money. Indeed, our goal was to make the AF fail." and "We shot" lead to "https://www.pentaxforums.com/forward/121/" which lands on a B&H page. This cannot be intended, right?

Finally, I do not understand how the K-30 can be said to trump the K-5 as the "BEST Pentax DSLR to Date" if the testing has not found the AF to be decisively better (whether it really not is, may be a different matter). The real world AF experience was apparently great, but we do not know what the K-5 would have done with the same scenes.

I like the K-30 a lot but the K-5 nevertheless has a multitude of points in its favour. The "Missing or Removed Features" section is not even complete (the body construction, tactile feedback of the wheels, the lower battery life, louder shutter, 12 vs 14 bit, and the RAW buffer depth spring to mind as further disadvantages) but I'm sure the list could be extended). I cannot help but think that the "BEST Pentax DSLR to Date"-badge is not doing justice to the truth (at least not for a set of shooters that value the many K-5 advantages more than what the K-30 has to offer as pluses).

P.S.: If pentaxforums wants to build a reputation for useful reviews, AFAIC, this is not the way. I appreciate the hard work that went into creating the figures but do not believe they are as solid as they should be for a test of such public exposure.

P.P.S: I have yet to read the other sections.

Last edited by Class A; 07-18-2012 at 05:57 AM.
07-17-2012, 06:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That poor k-5..

07-17-2012, 07:03 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Fantastic job on all counts! Thank you for this in-depth review! I certainly now want a K-30 more than ever.

Regarding the AF tests, I understand you were trying to make the AF fail. What I care primarily about is field shooting and whether or not the tungsten FF issue was present. It certainly seems that those worries are over! That's great news! Also, fantastic that you got such good results when in the field.

As I have never had the privilege of using or handling a K-5, it means so much to see that you guys who have appreciate the K-30 for what it is. The high rating (even higher than the K-5 rating!) is really encouraging. For someone like me looking to upgrade from a K-r, this is really exciting.

One thing I do wish you had done was test the weather sealing a bit. I know we've all seen these cameras under a faucet, but considering it is a prominent feature of this model, it would be nice to see it included and mentioned a bit more in the review. (Maybe in my excitement I missed something about that, though. LOL)

I have one question: Did you guys have any problems with the camera locking up during your usage? There always seems to be some little problems when these first come out that need to be addressed and I am wondering if they are present with the K-30 as well.

Thank you again for the great review! It was a fun read.
07-17-2012, 07:45 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Very complete... thank you! BTW: I was not aware that the K-30's AF-A focusing feature is a K-5 feature, as well. See camera comparison chart (3 - Specifications: AF System and Modes) . Please correct me, if I'm wrong. Cheers... M
You're right- I've updated the table accordingly. Looks like the only issue with the review so far was the K-5 spec table- not sure how that happened as we've got all the correct specs posted in the camera db

Adam

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-17-2012, 07:51 AM   #7

Many many thanks for review, it helped SO much!
07-17-2012, 07:52 AM   #8
Site Supporter

Thank you for this great review.
I especially liked the attention given to 'real world' shooting, which I find lacking on some reviews styles I have seen.
I have to agree that, to me, the K30 is the best Pentax I have owned (those being K10, K20, K7 and K-r) and the second best camera I have ever owned (my love for my Canon 1D Mark II however exceeds any rational bounds so it may not count).
Since I purchased the K30 the only things I regret are the lack of a battery grip and that I could not get a blue body coupled with the 18-135mm WR lens.

07-17-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Original Poster
I'm going to throw one thing in here- a lot of people are thinking that the review is saying that side-by-side, the K-30 is the better camera. Well, that can be debated. What's they're trying to say is that at its considering its price and feature set, the K-30 is more impressive than the K-5 was when it was launched

Adam

07-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Thanks a lot for attempting to incorporate a low-light AF test.

Unfortunately, the results are inconclusive because
  1. EV 3 does probably not create the "low light" situation with an f/1.8 lens,the K-5 would have failed with (depending on how the EV value was obtained).
  2. the K-5 was not available for a comparison.
N.B., there is no doubt that the K-5 has an issue. I have heard that Pentax indirectly admitted to this fact. The fact that the tester's K-5 never showed this issue is most likely down to the test conditions used for it.
Hey Class A. Thanks for reading!

In this case, the EV 3 was determined using this calculator and the readings from the camera's metering system. Since I don't own a spotmeter, this was the best I could do.

As for the other AF tests, they appear to be very inconclusive as well, allowing a lot of error with correct focus targets, etc.

I realise the above may come across as "moaning" but I honestly feel that we need more rigorous tests before we actually know whether (and if so, how so) the K-30's AF is an improvement of the the K-5's.
Yes, I agree that we need more rigorous testing. And don't worry about moaning. I understand that some readers are absolutely dedicated to the fine details. I was unbelievably stressed out about doing the testing and writing for this section, because I know you guys can be quite demanding. But in the period we had to complete this review there simply wasn't time to do anything more rigorous. I was working pretty much nonstop, day and night, to get this thing done (thank god for temporary unemployment). I hope some PF readers, who are better trained and better equipped in the technical details of this stuff can provide us with some more detailed and definitive results down the road. That said, I stand by the results I got during this test. The conditions were controlled to the best of my ability, and I did what I could to make the camera(s) misbehave in a systematic way. In my opinion, the K-30 is pretty much equal to the K-5 in low-light (aside from the fact that I saw no evidence of tungsten AF problems, ever). In everyday shooting conditions, I have a lot more confidence using it.

Finally, I do not understand how the K-30 can be said to trump the K-5 as the "BEST Pentax DSLR to Date" if the testing has not found the AF to be decisively better (whether it really not is, may be a different matter). The real world AF experience was apparently great, but we do not know what the K-5 would have done with the same scenes.

I like the K-30 a lot but the K-5 nevertheless has a multitude of points in its favour. The "Missing or Removed Features" section is not even complete (the body construction, tactile feedback of the wheels, the lower battery life, and the RAW buffer depth spring to mind as further disadvantages) but I'm sure the list could be extended). I cannot help but think that the "BEST Pentax DSLR to Date"-badge is not doing justice to the truth (at least not for a set of shooters that value the many K-5 advantages more than what the K-30 has to offer as pluses).

P.P.S: I have yet to read the other sections.
I think reading the remainder of the review might help your understanding here. You're right about the missing or removed features section, though. We'll fill that out with the things you mentioned.

I do think that this "Best Pentax dSLR to Date" tag will only last as long as the K-3 remains unreleased, btw. If they don't screw anything up in a big way, the proper K-5 successor will eat the K-30s lunch.

Last edited by deadwolfbones; 07-17-2012 at 08:04 AM.
07-17-2012, 08:01 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
What's they're trying to say is that at its considering its price and feature set, the K-30 is more impressive than the K-5 was when it was launched
So why isn't the badge saying "Best value for money" or something similar?

You must admit that the "BEST Pentax DSLR to Date" badge and "we feel that the K-30 is simply the best dSLR that Pentax has ever made." is not tyring very hard to say what you have elaborated above.
07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Hey Class A. Thanks for reading!
Thanks for your response!

Kudos to you for not taking my words the wrong way!
It takes greatness to deal with criticism without being offended and you have earned my respect for your response.

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
If they don't screw anything up in a big way, the proper K-5 successor will eat the K-30s lunch.
I am certainly hoping for that.

P.S.: Regarding obtaining correct EV values, see section 2.2. of Falk's K-5 low light report. I haven't checked whether you should have seen a problem or not. I trust one day someone will have a K-5 showing the FF issue in a particular situation and a K-30 to check in the same circumstances.

Last edited by Class A; 07-17-2012 at 08:17 AM.
07-17-2012, 08:16 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Great job , I have the K-5 and reaylly enjoy it but the K-30 is a great adition to the Pentax line. This will win a lot of prize in the following month
07-17-2012, 08:26 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Good job done.

A few things:
- Strange in moviemode with K-01 you can change aperture during filming.
- I did think about the drawback in speed for continious shooting for the K-01. Maybe biggest drawbacks are lacking bufferspace and reserved processor capacity for running live view.
07-17-2012, 08:33 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Thanks for your response!

Kudos to you for not taking my words the wrong way!
It takes greatness to deal with criticism without being offended and you have earned my respect for your response.
I've been doing this long enough that I know someone is always going to be upset with something I write, and often for good reason. I just try to learn from it and go on.

Thanks for the link to Falk's test results. It will certainly be helpful if I ever do another review like this one. (I'll have to buy some more equipment, though!)