Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 05:13 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
After research about this before purchasing the K30, I can to a similar conclusion that the best solution / industry solution would be a separate recorder anyway, for better quality.

Given that I'm likely to be shooting in noisy, complex enviroments, having an offboard recorder suddenly becomes much more valuable, and seem to be the recommended approach.

I'll have a look at this recorder - do give us a full review once you've got used to it!

07-19-2012, 06:02 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
After research about this before purchasing the K30, I can to a similar conclusion that the best solution / industry solution would be a separate recorder anyway, for better quality.

Given that I'm likely to be shooting in noisy, complex environments, having an offboard recorder suddenly becomes much more valuable, and seem to be the recommended approach.

I'll have a look at this recorder - do give us a full review once you've got used to it!
It really is. I came to the conclusion a while back. While I have a mic on the K5, with a dead cat on it, it's much easier to record another audio track that I can mix and use later. It also makes it easier when I mix photos in with the video.

The H2N is always with me. I like to turn it on, and forget it. I'd say it's a "must have" video accessory.
07-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Colbyt Quote
Geez! Is that the real purpose of those things? And here I always thought they weren't smart enough to realize the last last take was a 'print'.
Yep, and with proper movie making there is no audio on the film camera so the slate/clapboard-armature visual is used to sync.

Also, because there's no exif or metadate on video like there is with still images, with an iPad or iPhone slate/clapboard app you can customize the fields to write all that stuff such as which lens you use at what aperture etc instead of just the usual 'scene 1, take 1'. You could also just say it on the audio track but that's nowhere near as cool.

07-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #19

Sound is an interesting thing and quite often thrown on the backburner for a lot of people. I picked up a sony pcm m10 for $140 brand new with slightly damaged packaging.

Pretty happy with that. Got 5 free 5" x 3.5" samples of long haired fur from a online store which work wonders as a deadcat. Even got to choose various thicknesses color and length of fur. Ive been to lazy to sew on elastics and just use a rubber band. Also have a giant squid lav for my youtube tutorials. A cheap shoe to 1/4" adapter means the recorder can be mounted on top of the camera if need be. Although without the dampening of something like a rode mic. Psp go cases are the right size so a cheap one of those and I was set.

Due to on board sound of my current setup I mostly just match the audio files visually. Quick and easy. And its only going to improve as I learn and get better with the gear I have. In the scheme of things for low end decent audio its a fairly small cost and makes a huge difference.

07-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm having much fun regailing anyone who will listen with this new information of what a clapboard is actually for
07-24-2012, 07:51 AM - 1 Like   #21
Forum Member

As far as sound sync is concerned, you can really simplify things things by using a program called Pluralize (Singular Software - PluralEyes), which analyses your in-camera audio and your separate audio, and matches them up. It works brilliantly, unless there is a ton of ambient noise by the camera, or the recorder is very far from the camera.

Also, any Mac users can download Final Cut Pro X, which handles sound sync right within the program. Just link your video folder and audio together and it does the rest.

For what its worth, whenever we shoot with a DSLR on TCSTV shoots, I use a Zoom H4n, and plug in either a Sennheiser G3 Lav Mic, or a Rode NTG-2 shotgun.