Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #1

Blue K30?

I am curious what people think about the blue version of the K30. I was originally interested in that version, but then I saw some close up pictures of it and it seemed to have a more shiny veneer than I anticipated. I have read some positive impressions but also some pretty negative opinions from people who have handled the blue version. One person said it looked like a toy, which is off-putting. So what do you think?

One further question for those who like this version: given that the blue K30 does not come with the 18-135 lens (you have to go with the black version for that), would you be willing to pay an additional $180 to get both the lens and the blue version?

Thanks!

07-18-2012, 02:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Its a personal choice in my eyes

I was going to get one but just opted for the black with the 18-135...the store where I purchased only had one unit left and I was eager to get my hands on this model.

Neil
07-18-2012, 05:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I first saw the blue K-30, I fell in love with the color. However, when I found out that the finish available in the US would be shiny and that the blue camera would not be available with the 18-135 lens, I quickly fell out of love.

I did handle the blue K-30 at Crutchfield on Monday. I do think the color is really cool! I do not like the shiny finish because my personal feeling is it makes the camera feel a bit cheaper built than it really is. That is just personal preference, though. I think it looks very nice, actually, I just don't really like the feel of it in my hands. It feels a bit slippery, although the rubbery grip makes up for that a bit.

Anyway, just my thoughts.
07-18-2012, 11:51 AM   #4

I've handled both. I originally went to the dealer with the idea that I was leaving with the blue. When I held it the gloss finish turned me off. I could only imagine being somewhere humid and my hands just slipping and sliding all over the body (I know that sounded dirty). Which leads me to my 2nd point. Finger prints.. all over the dang thing.. grime, grit, etc.

The dealer made a great point to me as well. He said Pentax prides the K-30 on the rugged, go anywhere, do anything camera. The blue sorta takes away from the image. Another thing worth noting is it will stand out. That can be a positive or a negative. With your friends/family the "coolness" factor will be rewarding. If you're out of the country or in a not so savory place with your shiny blue camera and there's someone next to you with the ol' plain Jane black? Guess whose camera they'll be interested in more? I could care less about the latter just something to think about... The gloss and finish are what turned me off.. The black is sexy, and screams "LETS DO THIS!"..

07-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LoPing Quote
Finger prints.. all over the dang thing.. grime, grit, etc.

The dealer made a great point to me as well. He said Pentax prides the K-30 on the rugged, go anywhere, do anything camera. The blue sorta takes away from the image.
Your words translated visually appears to give the exact opposite impression :

07-18-2012, 01:06 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by anthony mazzeri Quote
Your words translated visually appears to give the exact opposite impression :
Agreed... As I stated.. It wasn't what the dealer told me that strayed me from the blue.. (although I sort of agreed) For me it was the glossy finish and the tactile feel. You could throw a pink one in the mud to visually translate the same message.
07-20-2012, 10:52 PM   #7

Original Poster
For those that want a closer look at the blue K30, here is a video intro:

07-21-2012, 09:59 AM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think I need a White one for Nature winter use, A blue one for use on my boat and a black one for street photography.

Now if there only was a flat green model for Nature summer use.........
07-21-2012, 11:12 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I think the blue K-30 is the best looking DSLR ever and I don't see the smooth finish being a problem, more of an asset in keeping it clean. I'm hoping there's 18-55 WR kit lenses bundled with it soon then that will be my buying choice. I just want one WR lens and that will do.

Edit:- I found a close up video of the blue K-30 with a shiny Limited on it - looks so nice......

Last edited by SteveB; 07-22-2012 at 12:17 AM.
07-21-2012, 10:17 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Corto-PA Quote
I think I need a White one for Nature winter use, A blue one for use on my boat and a black one for street photography.

Now if there only was a flat green model for Nature summer use.........
The white one would be perfect with this outfit:

07-22-2012, 07:05 AM   #11

Not really important, but thought I`d bring it up anyway in case someone wanted to know. In Japan, each colour has two different schemes, either "silky" which is the matte finish, or "crystal" which is the glossy finish. And the Pentax K-30 comes in far more colour variations as well, I got mine in silky orange, which looks very nice. But it really was a toss with red, which looks great too. I ended up letting the wife decide, she said crystal, so I went with silky.
07-22-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AroundTokyo Quote
I got mine in silky orange, which looks very nice. But it really was a toss with red, which looks great too. I ended up letting the wife decide, she said crystal, so I went with silky.
Haha, do the opposite of what she said.

Can you post a pic of it? I've only seen that one pic posted here of them all in a row in the store. I'm not sure how well the uber-bright colours like the orange would do in other countries, but some of the darker versions like the burgundy may do well I think.

I'm especially wondering how/when it may be possible to get the olive-green version outside of Japan.
07-22-2012, 03:51 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm especially wondering how/when it may be possible to get the olive-green version outside of Japan.
Can buy it from here: Pentax Web Store
07-22-2012, 04:06 PM   #14

Haha, do the opposite of what she said.

Can you post a pic of it? I've only seen that one pic posted here of them all in a row in the store. I'm not sure how well the uber-bright colours like the orange would do in other countries, but some of the darker versions like the burgundy may do well I think.

Yep, usually if I take her advice, I'll be unhappy with it. Guess I don't like other people making decisions for me, but maybe she knew that so said the silky? hahaha.

Attached Images

Last edited by AroundTokyo; 07-22-2012 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Failed to insert image correctly
07-22-2012, 09:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

That looks lighter than the official product image, probably just the flash lighting though.