Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 04:51 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use the Upstrap. It's a strong nylon or kevlar web with a wide rubber pad attached. I can carry my K7 and Sigma 70-200 all day, with no problem.
Camera Strap Professional Non Slip Camera Straps - UPstrap

Regards

07-19-2012, 05:10 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/192529-ca...ggestions.html
07-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #18
Veteran Member

I guess I have to give a wrist strap a try as well. I usually just use the neck strap wrapped a couple of time around my wrist and hold the camera by hand. But obviously using a sliding strap like that, it can't hold the camera's weight. I just spent a few days using a camera like that and because I had to in effect hold my K-5 most of the time, I developed a slight case of lateral epicondylitis, the tennis elbow.
07-22-2012, 07:20 AM   #19
Pentaxian

I should have mentioned that the Pentax wrist strap I use will also allow you to connect a neck strap. I tried that when I fist got my wrist strap but found the extra strap cumbersome. YMMV.

07-22-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
2 weeks ago when I was at the Madison Regatta it was in my hand pretty much the hole day. I also was carrying my LowePro AW200 sling bag if I needed a break. The Pentax hand/wrist strap I find is very comfortable. It doesn't require a death grip on the camera when your not shooting.

Here is the one I use.

PentaxWebstore.com:DSLR Leather Hand Strap DSLR Leather Hand Strap
The problem with that strap is it will not work if you use the battery grip accessory.
07-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #21
Pentaxian

It does on mine. The battery grip never leaves my camera.

07-22-2012, 11:33 AM   #22
Veteran Member

It does on mine. The battery grip never leaves my camera.
Hmmmm, then Pentax lied on their website:

"This finely crafted leather hand strap comfortably secures the camera to the shooter's hand, decreasing muscle fatigue for those long hours behind the lens. It's perfect for the walkabout photographer, keeping the camera always at the ready A quick-release tab loosens the strap with a tug, allowing the photographer to easily slip his/her hand into or out of the strap. Compatible with all DSLR camera bodies. Doesn't fit the D-BG4 battery grip."

Oh, wait - you're not using that battery grip. Anyone with a K7 or K5 is sol.

07-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Hmmmm, then Pentax lied on their website:

"This finely crafted leather hand strap comfortably secures the camera to the shooter's hand, decreasing muscle fatigue for those long hours behind the lens. It's perfect for the walkabout photographer, keeping the camera always at the ready A quick-release tab loosens the strap with a tug, allowing the photographer to easily slip his/her hand into or out of the strap. Compatible with all DSLR camera bodies. Doesn't fit the D-BG4 battery grip."

Oh, wait - you're not using that battery grip. Anyone with a K7 or K5 is sol.

He has a D-BG3 on a K200D.
07-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Maybe that's the difference. Wonder what they did with the D-BG4 that won't let it work? Maybe the placement of the threaded adapter hole?
07-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Maybe that's the difference. Wonder what they did with the D-BG4 that won't let it work? Maybe the placement of the threaded adapter hole?
Tripod attachment is offset in the BG4, I'm not sure but that may be it.
07-22-2012, 01:54 PM   #26
Pentaxian

On the BG-3 it's offset to the right as viewed from the rear. If it's offset to the left it wouldn't work because the strap would be too short. Something else to consider if and when I upgrade.
07-22-2012, 01:56 PM   #27
Moo

One problem I see with most of these "alternative" straps is that by having something screwed to the bottom of the camera, it prevents it being stood normally on its base. The photo kkoether posted suggests that strap may have the same problem too, but not as bad as some...
07-22-2012, 07:57 PM   #28
Site Supporter

Domke Gripper worn on the Shoulder. It stays put with all cameras I have.

I would never wear anything around my neck.

But that's just the "Street kid" in me.
07-22-2012, 08:33 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Moo Quote
One problem I see with most of these "alternative" straps is that by having something screwed to the bottom of the camera, it prevents it being stood normally on its base. The photo kkoether posted suggests that strap may have the same problem too, but not as bad as some...
That is one reason why I went with a Camdapter system. Last time I am going to say it - I promise.

Camdapter
07-23-2012, 08:20 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Crumpler Singapore Slim turned up over the weekend. Very happy with it so far, much more comfortable than the stock strap. Also allows you to turn it into a sling/shoulder strap very quickly with quick release buckles. I'll try to post a full review after I've used it a bit more.