Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Best alternative Neck Strap?

Hi All,

So, one of the major conclusions I drew from my shake-down shoot in London on Sunday is I need a better neck strap.

Does anyone have any particular preferences for a brand I should look at? So far I've looked at the Op-Tech stuff, but they don't seem to do a combined Sling/Strap without lots of additional parts, and the Crumpler Singapore Sling, which does both, but is twice the price.

If anyone else had any innovative ideas... that'd be good!

07-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pheo, I changed to a sling style strap due to arthritus and have never looked back - it is amazing and has changed my photographic life. I can carry my K-7 with the Sigma 170-500 all day etc.
Cost about $11 from HK.
Cant remember brand name but found it on ebay.
07-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I use the Optech Envy memory foam neck strap. It is plenty long enough for me to use as a sling/shoulder type strap if I choose to do so. It's quite comfortable, as the foam seems to distribute weight well. It will get sweaty in hot weather, though. The material is supposed to wick away moisture, and I guess it does, but I still notice it. It might be that the foam makes me sweat more? However, I really do like it - it's miles better than the strap that comes with the camera.
07-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Let me throw a curve ball. I have a wrist strap on my K-5/7. It works better than I ever imagined, and havent dropped it either. I seem to be more ready for those fleeting moments. It is cheap enough that to me it was worth a try.

07-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Does anyone have any particular preferences for a brand I should look at? So far I've looked at the Op-Tech stuff, but they don't seem to do a combined Sling/Strap without lots of additional parts, and the Crumpler Singapore Sling, which does both, but is twice the price.

If anyone else had any innovative ideas... that'd be good!
I recently aquired a BlackRapid RS-Sport "slide" strap and have found it to be fantastic for longer-days and/or heavier lenses. The ability to have the camera at ones hip, and to simply draw and shoot is really nice. It is very comfortable, if not a bit more conspicuous with the shoulder support.
07-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I like the longer, wider Tamrac straps because they're only $20, I can use them as cross body straps, and I like the quick release system. It works and I've never feared dropping my K-x with one. They do seem to be fairly reliable that way. That being said I always end up making padded covers for all my straps because they tend to rub me wrong just like seat belts. I just like designing strap covers too. It's fun and I've sold a few at the photo meets from people seeing mine. I make them out of soft fleece material and with velcro so I can just pop them off and wash them with my clothes when I do the laundry. Almost any strap can be made better with a cover like that.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-18-2012 at 10:12 AM.
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Let me throw a curve ball. I have a wrist strap on my K-5/7. It works better than I ever imagined, and havent dropped it either. I seem to be more ready for those fleeting moments. It is cheap enough that to me it was worth a try.
Same here. I use a Pentax wrist strap on my K200D with the grip installed. Haven't used a neck strap since!

07-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Same here. I use a Pentax wrist strap on my K200D with the grip installed. Haven't used a neck strap since!
Going around a whole day shooting, do you then just hold the Cam/hang it from the wrist, or do you use some kind of quick access bag?
07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Santoku Quote
I recently aquired a BlackRapid RS-Sport "slide" strap and have found it to be fantastic for longer-days and/or heavier lenses. The ability to have the camera at ones hip, and to simply draw and shoot is really nice. It is very comfortable, if not a bit more conspicuous with the shoulder support.
I also went to a Black Rapid, the RS-7. It takes the load off your neck, has a curved padded strap, is adjustable, and works great. They are more expense than some of the others. I love it and will never go back to a neck strap. I cannot compare it to the other straps here, but it's a good one.
07-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Inactive Account

+1 for Black Rapid, I have an RS-5. Its amazing how much a camera gets in the way on your chest.
07-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just ordered a Crumpler Singapore Slim - Wanted a strap which doubles as a chest/hip strap - seems to fit the bill - will let you know how I get on.
07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NKK Quote
Going around a whole day shooting, do you then just hold the Cam/hang it from the wrist, or do you use some kind of quick access bag?
2 weeks ago when I was at the Madison Regatta it was in my hand pretty much the hole day. I also was carrying my LowePro AW200 sling bag if I needed a break. The Pentax hand/wrist strap I find is very comfortable. It doesn't require a death grip on the camera when your not shooting.

Here is the one I use.

PentaxWebstore.com:DSLR Leather Hand Strap DSLR Leather Hand Strap
07-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
NKK
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
2 weeks ago when I was at the Madison Regatta it was in my hand pretty much the hole day. I also was carrying my LowePro AW200 sling bag if I needed a break. The Pentax hand/wrist strap I find is very comfortable. It doesn't require a death grip on the camera when your not shooting.

Here is the one I use.

PentaxWebstore.com:DSLR Leather Hand Strap DSLR Leather Hand Strap
Thank you for your answer - and that looks good. I'm thinking about a hand/wrist strap too, as i usually wrap the normal neckstrap around my wrist anyway, im just thinking that i would maybe be "forced" to carry a bag too, as i would get tired of having the camera in my hand for longer time
And thank you for the link.
07-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Anyone know where you can get one of those in the UK?
07-19-2012, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

I really like the Black Widow Spider Holster... I just put it on a regular belt and presto. If my kit weighed more, I'd get the dedicated belt.

The advantage to me is that the weight is transferred through my hips (have worn the camera for hours at a time, and you almost forget it's there), and the camera can't flap around away from my body like it can on a shoulder on neck strap.

Black Widow Holster : The Black Widow : Spider Holster