Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
Best alternative Neck Strap?

Hi All,

So, one of the major conclusions I drew from my shake-down shoot in London on Sunday is I need a better neck strap.

Does anyone have any particular preferences for a brand I should look at? So far I've looked at the Op-Tech stuff, but they don't seem to do a combined Sling/Strap without lots of additional parts, and the Crumpler Singapore Sling, which does both, but is twice the price.

If anyone else had any innovative ideas... that'd be good!

07-18-2012, 08:29 AM   #2
Senior Member
georgecape's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Kenridge, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 210
Pheo, I changed to a sling style strap due to arthritus and have never looked back - it is amazing and has changed my photographic life. I can carry my K-7 with the Sigma 170-500 all day etc.
Cost about $11 from HK.
Cant remember brand name but found it on ebay.
07-18-2012, 08:38 AM   #3
Site Supporter
loco's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,836
I use the Optech Envy memory foam neck strap. It is plenty long enough for me to use as a sling/shoulder type strap if I choose to do so. It's quite comfortable, as the foam seems to distribute weight well. It will get sweaty in hot weather, though. The material is supposed to wick away moisture, and I guess it does, but I still notice it. It might be that the foam makes me sweat more? However, I really do like it - it's miles better than the strap that comes with the camera.
07-18-2012, 08:41 AM   #4
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: 5th floor
Posts: 1,322
Let me throw a curve ball. I have a wrist strap on my K-5/7. It works better than I ever imagined, and havent dropped it either. I seem to be more ready for those fleeting moments. It is cheap enough that to me it was worth a try.

07-18-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Santoku's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 131
QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Does anyone have any particular preferences for a brand I should look at? So far I've looked at the Op-Tech stuff, but they don't seem to do a combined Sling/Strap without lots of additional parts, and the Crumpler Singapore Sling, which does both, but is twice the price.

If anyone else had any innovative ideas... that'd be good!
I recently aquired a BlackRapid RS-Sport "slide" strap and have found it to be fantastic for longer-days and/or heavier lenses. The ability to have the camera at ones hip, and to simply draw and shoot is really nice. It is very comfortable, if not a bit more conspicuous with the shoulder support.
07-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #6
Veteran Member
magkelly's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,905
I like the longer, wider Tamrac straps because they're only $20, I can use them as cross body straps, and I like the quick release system. It works and I've never feared dropping my K-x with one. They do seem to be fairly reliable that way. That being said I always end up making padded covers for all my straps because they tend to rub me wrong just like seat belts. I just like designing strap covers too. It's fun and I've sold a few at the photo meets from people seeing mine. I make them out of soft fleece material and with velcro so I can just pop them off and wash them with my clothes when I do the laundry. Almost any strap can be made better with a cover like that.

Last edited by magkelly; 07-18-2012 at 10:12 AM.
07-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Veteran Member
kkoether's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Huber Heights, OH, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 572
QuoteOriginally posted by Fontan Quote
Let me throw a curve ball. I have a wrist strap on my K-5/7. It works better than I ever imagined, and havent dropped it either. I seem to be more ready for those fleeting moments. It is cheap enough that to me it was worth a try.
Same here. I use a Pentax wrist strap on my K200D with the grip installed. Haven't used a neck strap since!
07-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
NKK
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 583
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
Same here. I use a Pentax wrist strap on my K200D with the grip installed. Haven't used a neck strap since!
Going around a whole day shooting, do you then just hold the Cam/hang it from the wrist, or do you use some kind of quick access bag?

07-18-2012, 02:41 PM   #9
Site Supporter
ramseybuckeye's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Elida, Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 8,116
QuoteOriginally posted by Santoku Quote
I recently aquired a BlackRapid RS-Sport "slide" strap and have found it to be fantastic for longer-days and/or heavier lenses. The ability to have the camera at ones hip, and to simply draw and shoot is really nice. It is very comfortable, if not a bit more conspicuous with the shoulder support.
I also went to a Black Rapid, the RS-7. It takes the load off your neck, has a curved padded strap, is adjustable, and works great. They are more expense than some of the others. I love it and will never go back to a neck strap. I cannot compare it to the other straps here, but it's a good one.
07-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Wellington
Posts: 969
+1 for Black Rapid, I have an RS-5. Its amazing how much a camera gets in the way on your chest.
07-18-2012, 04:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
Original Poster
Just ordered a Crumpler Singapore Slim - Wanted a strap which doubles as a chest/hip strap - seems to fit the bill - will let you know how I get on.
07-18-2012, 05:09 PM   #12
Veteran Member
kkoether's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Huber Heights, OH, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 572
QuoteOriginally posted by NKK Quote
Going around a whole day shooting, do you then just hold the Cam/hang it from the wrist, or do you use some kind of quick access bag?
2 weeks ago when I was at the Madison Regatta it was in my hand pretty much the hole day. I also was carrying my LowePro AW200 sling bag if I needed a break. The Pentax hand/wrist strap I find is very comfortable. It doesn't require a death grip on the camera when your not shooting.

Here is the one I use.

PentaxWebstore.com:DSLR Leather Hand Strap DSLR Leather Hand Strap
07-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #13
NKK
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 583
QuoteOriginally posted by kkoether Quote
2 weeks ago when I was at the Madison Regatta it was in my hand pretty much the hole day. I also was carrying my LowePro AW200 sling bag if I needed a break. The Pentax hand/wrist strap I find is very comfortable. It doesn't require a death grip on the camera when your not shooting.

Here is the one I use.

PentaxWebstore.com:DSLR Leather Hand Strap DSLR Leather Hand Strap
Thank you for your answer - and that looks good. I'm thinking about a hand/wrist strap too, as i usually wrap the normal neckstrap around my wrist anyway, im just thinking that i would maybe be "forced" to carry a bag too, as i would get tired of having the camera in my hand for longer time
And thank you for the link.
07-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #14
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Brighton, United Kingdom
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 311
Original Poster
Anyone know where you can get one of those in the UK?
07-19-2012, 03:56 AM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,352
I really like the Black Widow Spider Holster... I just put it on a regular belt and presto. If my kit weighed more, I'd get the dedicated belt.

The advantage to me is that the weight is transferred through my hips (have worn the camera for hours at a time, and you almost forget it's there), and the camera can't flap around away from my body like it can on a shoulder on neck strap.

Black Widow Holster : The Black Widow : Spider Holster
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, neck, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Neck strap urssu Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 24 05-07-2012 10:31 AM
K-5 Neck Strap Holders Glen Pentax K-5 4 07-19-2011 09:10 AM
Need thin neck strap TOUGEFC Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 22 05-16-2011 12:42 PM
Neck Strap Issue Has Struck My K-7 Nowhere Matt Pentax DSLR Discussion 12 11-02-2010 02:00 AM
Goodbye to neck strap; Hello Wye Strap!!! philbaum Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 42 08-12-2010 01:39 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:13 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top