Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 11:03 AM   #31

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
This camera is the upgrade for k-x/k-r users that we've all been waiting for. This camera is what a k-5 is, minus some options that us k-x/k-r users never got to use anyways, with the added bonus of not having to worry about the AF issues that may or may not plague the k-5.

But if I were a k-5 owner who is mostly satisfied with my k-5 right now, I would not get a k-30. I would continue waiting for the k-3 and be buoyed by the fact that the k-30 represents a huge step-up from the k-x/k-r. I would be pleased that there appears to be AF improvements, that Pentax has not stepped completely away from the traditional DSLR after the release of the Q and K-01, and that Pentax is starting to show more and more branding in the U.S.
----------------------------
Absolutely spot on!

07-20-2012, 11:33 AM   #32
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sam-joseph Quote
I'd just like a stripped down K5. Stripped of video and live view, that is, and body only for about $600.
Dreamin'.

Regards
I've heard others say this. How much do you think live view and video cost? These are possible with the K5/K30 sensor, regardless of whether or not they are enabled. Since the software encoding already exists, it wouldn't save anything on cost, it just would decrease by a factor of ten the number of units sold, since nearly every other digital SLR out there also offers video and live view.
07-20-2012, 07:45 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
Always a nice list. I think the processor doesn't support usb 3.0 so we have to wait for the next generation on that. I would like that, so we don't have to fiddle with cards, but just plug it on our computer.
I don't think any other consumer level cameras, whether DSLRs or P&S, support USB 3.0 either at this point.

The Nikon D800 does, but that is a $3000 camera and not really in the same league as K-30 or whatever replaces the K-5 .
07-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #34
Pentaxian

I'd just like a stripped down K5. Stripped of video and live view, that is, and body only for about $600.
Dreamin'.

Regards
Nobody is forcing you to use the video or Live View even if it's there.
The K-30 body will probably sell for $600 in about 6 months to a year.

07-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by luftfluss Quote
articulating LCD
stereo mic w/port
battery grip option
I second the above, those are the 3 biggest issues with the K-30 IMO.
If not for these, I could sell my Canon T3i.
07-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
Nobody is forcing you to use the video or Live View even if it's there.
You're right. However, if I applied the same logic to the new car I recently bought, then I would have bought the top-line model, with all the extra electronic crap on it that I'll never use.
Instead, I got the entry level Mazda3, with an impressive set of features, and thankfully, NO Live View or Video mode.

Regards
07-24-2012, 01:41 AM   #37
Pentaxian

You're right. However, if I applied the same logic to the new car I recently bought, then I would have bought the top-line model, with all the extra electronic crap on it that I'll never use.
Instead, I got the entry level Mazda3, with an impressive set of features, and thankfully, NO Live View or Video mode.
Regards
I am really not fond of car analogies, I think there is just no point.

In these days where practically every device down to your cell phone can shoot HD video, it would be rather suicidal for a company to design a new camera that doesn't have Live view or video capabilities. Sort of the same reason why there are no new models of film cameras being released.
07-24-2012, 03:07 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Seems we got a bit off topic. I found the K30 review very informative and unbiased, just the facts ma'am just the facts. Although I had already decided on the K30, well I talked my lovely wife into needing one to replace her K20D, I found the review very reassuring.

07-24-2012, 03:09 AM   #39

Regards
Im not sure I follow. Wouldn't the comparison be that you don't want to drive faster than 50 and don't need fifth gear. So why not just use fourth and drive slow. Adding a fridge ejector seats etc cost extra money and would be like comparing two different camera models with different hardware not software. The camera cpu is like the engine and that is what is encoding the video. I assume you still want the same engine in both car models.

On top of that by reusing the same engine across the models and charging extra for the ejector seats (top lcd)and lazers(articulating lcd) you can keep base cost down across models. Add some performance parts (second processor)to the engine and better exhaust (more af points)for expensive sports model which a fourth gear enthusiast doesn't need.

I like video being a feature. Really handy from a business prospective. Especially for online stores. Can take product shots with camera. Share videos of product reviews etc which dont require fast auto focus. All your blogging style informative youtube videos, reviews unboxings etc dont require constant af and being able to use your slr for them is handy. Get the benefits of low light performance for sharing product info at trade shows with your customers. And the biggest bonus being its a business expense

I will be buying my first Pentax soon.Just have to decide which one...
07-24-2012, 06:09 AM   #40

Photos: Albums
As one of the newbs who have joined you recently, I was very pleased with the review as it was fairly easy to understand for the most part. There is nothing I would disagree with in that review. The only thing I haven`t used at all with my new K-30 is the video. I only bought this camera for its picture taking qualities and would seriously doubt I`ll ever take video with it, just not necessary for me. If I find out anyone is wanting a new camera, I`ll definitely be pointing them to the review on this website, and urge them to buy the camera.
07-24-2012, 04:07 PM   #41
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AroundTokyo Quote
I only bought this camera for its picture taking qualities and would seriously doubt I`ll ever take video with it, just not necessary for me.
Although it may not be necessary, I would urge to give it a chance. Shooting video can be immensely rewarding. There are obviously some things that can be captured with a moving image that cannot be captured with a still image.
07-24-2012, 04:21 PM   #42

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fuent104 Quote
Although it may not be necessary, I would urge to give it a chance. Shooting video can be immensely rewarding. There are obviously some things that can be captured with a moving image that cannot be captured with a still image.
Hi Fuent,
I know what you're saying But at this point in time I just don't have an interest in the video abilities of the camera. I might change my mind one day, but still photography is all I'm interested in at the moment. But I must agree, for those who like that dual-capability it must be good too have.
07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Indeed.
08-01-2012, 12:06 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
It's true that seven days is not a lot of time. I've purchased one for myself, though, and will continue to use it on a regular basis. If my opinion changes I'll be sure to let you know.
I'd be curious to know. At this moment I am in the process of devising the best strategy to rid myself of good part of my gear (see signature) because with acquisition of Ricoh GXR I see no need to have extensive DSLR system.