Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 02:34 AM   #16
ogl
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding from the review of K-30 was that it offers virtually no improvement in AF unless the mirror is up and CDAF is used.
No BF/FF, very fast CDAF (almost 2x faster than K-5), no influence of lightning condition, focus-peaking - very good improvement
PDAF's speed is the almost the same as in K-5. The speed of K-5 is on the very high level between another DSLR of another brands.

What do you mean - no improvement?

07-19-2012, 03:22 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Like i said - no improvement in PDAF. I don't care about CDAF. Both my K-5s have no BF/FF problems either. Again, K-30 does offer a number of advantages over K-5, but none of them are of my interest. And I hope I was sufficiently clear to indicate that.
07-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #18
ogl
Banned

Like i said - no improvement in PDAF. I don't care about CDAF. Both my K-5s have no BF/FF problems either. Again, K-30 does offer a number of advantages over K-5, but none of them are of my interest. And I hope I was sufficiently clear to indicate that.
My K-5 has ALL problems which I've indicated above. + very weak accurancy in low-light condition.
07-19-2012, 09:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

The K-3 has to get focus peaking in video mode or it will sink. Same with AF points - it needs more than 11.

07-19-2012, 10:17 AM - 1 Like   #20

It's all about opinions and I found the review very informative. I will now read others and make my own mind up based on what I shoot, what I can afford and what features are most important to me. It's not that difficult. Reviews are for information, they are not there to tell you what to do!
07-19-2012, 10:31 AM   #21
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Chaos_Realm Quote
There are plenty of points to improve that would convince me to splash even upto an extra $1000. Not to say the k-30 isn't brilliant, I really want to get one. But this is kind of a (wishful thinking for some points) wish list.
  • More AF points/Smaller AF points (30-40 would be interesting)
  • magnesium alloy body
  • Higher frame rate i think 8-9fps would be a good target
  • Dual Prime M Processors
  • 16-Bit colour depth
  • Battery grip compatible
  • larger buffer
  • higher GN on board flash
  • larger sensor (Mp count not physical size)
  • Dual card slot
  • better viewfinder
  • 1080p up to 60fps recording (this one would really excite me for filming sports so you have some room for slowing it down a bit)
  • Higher flash sync 1/500 would be awesome but even 1/250 to 1/300 would do
  • External Mic input
  • HDMI out
  • Tethering capable
  • UBS 3.0 Connectivity (why the k-30 only got USB 2.0 is beyond me)
  • Front and rear Infrared receivers
  • Better Battery performance
  • File numbering system that allows over 9999 shots
  • Faster Max shutter
Always a nice list. I think the processor doesn't support usb 3.0 so we have to wait for the next generation on that. I would like that, so we don't have to fiddle with cards, but just plug it on our computer.

When the D-Li90 stays the battery, you get less performance, so better buy a spare.

I would like to have a headphone output to get an idea off the sound quality recorded.
07-19-2012, 09:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogl Quote
My K-5 has ALL problems which I've indicated above. + very weak accurancy in low-light condition.
That's unfortunate. Then it is possible that if you upgrade from K-5 to K-30 it will be better. I am not saying you should upgrade immediately though - just suggesting that you might want to consider such a move.

07-19-2012, 10:25 PM   #23
ogl
Banned

That's unfortunate. Then it is possible that if you upgrade from K-5 to K-30 it will be better. I am not saying you should upgrade immediately though - just suggesting that you might want to consider such a move.
No need.

BF/FF - K-5 has AF adjustment.
Focus-peaking - I have no manual lenses.
Light condition dependence - I don't use K-5 in artificial light
Low-light accurancy - it's only one problem of K-5.
07-20-2012, 03:48 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Like anything, I think the argument for upgrading from the previous topline product to a new one is always more tenuous than those who are a couple of generations behind, or are comparing against other systems.

For instance, I have come from a K10D. The K30 is worlds away performance wise in so many ways, its blown me away with the capabilities (some items, like the PDAF focus tracking, I'd never really even cottoned on to as being possible, much to my embarrassment!)

Conversely, I have an iPad 2. I found the iPad3 not compelling enough to upgrade to, despite its merits vs an iPad1/the competition, simply as the value proposition for me as a user was not high enough.

In other words, it all depends.
07-20-2012, 04:17 AM   #25
Veteran Member

I'd just like a stripped down K5. Stripped of video and live view, that is, and body only for about $600.
Dreamin'.

Regards
07-20-2012, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

Correct me if I am wrong, but my understanding from the review of K-30 was that it offers virtually no improvement in AF unless the mirror is up and CDAF is used.
Well he liked the K-30's AF better than the K-5's AF in the field. Up to you whether you trust that subjective evaluation.

I am sure the K-30's AF is better in absolute terms (in particular regarding low-light accuracy); the fact that the person who handled the camera for PF was not able to demonstrate it, does not mean the advances do not exist.
07-20-2012, 06:41 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

This camera is the upgrade for k-x/k-r users that we've all been waiting for. This camera is what a k-5 is, minus some options that us k-x/k-r users never got to use anyways, with the added bonus of not having to worry about the AF issues that may or may not plague the k-5.

But if I were a k-5 owner who is mostly satisfied with my k-5 right now, I would not get a k-30. I would continue waiting for the k-3 and be buoyed by the fact that the k-30 represents a huge step-up from the k-x/k-r. I would be pleased that there appears to be AF improvements, that Pentax has not stepped completely away from the traditional DSLR after the release of the Q and K-01, and that Pentax is starting to show more and more branding in the U.S.
07-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Well he liked the K-30's AF better than the K-5's AF in the field. Up to you whether you trust that subjective evaluation.

I am sure the K-30's AF is better in absolute terms (in particular regarding low-light accuracy); the fact that the person who handled the camera for PF was not able to demonstrate it, does not mean the advances do not exist.
This is absolutely logical and valid opinion. It is just that personally I doubt that the person who produced the review handled K-30 long enough to fully familiarize themselves with it.

K-30 certainly improves over its predecessors including K-5 in AF department, however I think that there will be rather many who have K-5 and won't see reason to upgrade.
07-20-2012, 10:54 AM   #29

Why does every one keep talking like the K30 is the K5 upgrade? Wait until the K3 come out, then you can decide if you want to upgrade to it.

The k30 is not designed to be a K5 upgrade, it is designed to lure in non-pentaxians and offer an upgrade over all the other Ks out there. If you already have a K5, keep it and wait until its replacement comes out.
07-20-2012, 11:02 AM   #30
Veteran Member

This is absolutely logical and valid opinion. It is just that personally I doubt that the person who produced the review handled K-30 long enough to fully familiarize themselves with it.

K-30 certainly improves over its predecessors including K-5 in AF department, however I think that there will be rather many who have K-5 and won't see reason to upgrade.
It's true that seven days is not a lot of time. I've purchased one for myself, though, and will continue to use it on a regular basis. If my opinion changes I'll be sure to let you know.