Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K-30 focus microadjustment for individual lenses?

Does the K30 have support for microfocus adjustments for multiple lenses? Or is it like the K-x, one global microfocus setting that has to be accessed by a hidden debug menu? Thanks!

Charles.

07-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, it does, for up to 10 I believe. Just like the k-7, k-5, and k-r.
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Excellent, another way that it is different from the entry-level cameras that Pentax has offered in the past.
07-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The K-r has global adjustment, not for separate lenses. But yeah, this is a great feature for the K-30!

07-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

According to the manual (p. 110), the K-30 offers microadjustment for "up to 20 lens types".
07-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
The K-r has global adjustment, not for separate lenses. But yeah, this is a great feature for the K-30!
Yeah, unfortunately it is global adjustment on the K-r, which is really annoying because I have to set it at -10 for my Helios while my other primes I use it at -3 or -1...
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Update: it supports 20 lenses.

Update 2: didn't see post #5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Does it work with non-Pentax lenses? And if it does can it remember settings for say 2 Sigma lenses, or 1 Sigma and 1 Tamron.
07-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Does it work with non-Pentax lenses? And if it does can it remember settings for say 2 Sigma lenses, or 1 Sigma and 1 Tamron.
The manual just says that the "Apply One" option: "will appear on the display only when the lens ID is obtained."

I think this means that any lens capable of transferring its info to the camera electronically will work, but unfortunately I don't have any third-party AF lenses to test it with. Hopefully someone else can clarify.
07-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
If it behaves like the K-7 (and I can see no reason why it would not), and AF lens is supported. The gotcha with third-party lenses is that sometimes different lenses have the same lens ID, so the camera can't tell them apart (ex. Sigma 70-200/2.8 and 50-150/2.8 II have the same ID). That is, of course, only a problem if you happen to own 2 lenses with the same ID yourself.
07-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Cool. I have a K-x now, and it's really a hassle to use my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 because I have to go into debug mode every time to adjust the microfocus. So oft as not, I leave the Tamron at home and take something else in that range. Which stinks, because when the Tamron is focused, it's nice and sharp. When it's focused.

Between the lens adjustment, GPS compatibility (I want the star tracking), weather sealing, pentaprism, and most especially the new focus engine, the K30 really has me interested in upgrading. Now only if it would come down a couple hundred dollars

Charles.
07-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Cool. I have a K-x now, and it's really a hassle to use my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 because I have to go into debug mode every time to adjust the microfocus. So oft as not, I leave the Tamron at home and take something else in that range. Which stinks, because when the Tamron is focused, it's nice and sharp. When it's focused.

Between the lens adjustment, GPS compatibility (I want the star tracking), weather sealing, pentaprism, and most especially the new focus engine, the K30 really has me interested in upgrading. Now only if it would come down a couple hundred dollars

Charles.
Patience. It only took the K-5 a little while to drop a bit in price. We've had at least one member here order from Singapore and save around $75 from what I can tell. Alternatively, you could come to Atlanta for the K-30 Road Show on August 7th and get a $100 off coupon.
07-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Alternatively, you could come to Atlanta for the K-30 Road Show on August 7th and get a $100 off coupon.
Agree'd my friend who would never had have went into Pentax would have never bought a K-30 until he went to the show, the K-30 is very impressive from what the show taught us. Most importantly is the $100 bucks off coupon they gave us to buy at our local Pentax retailers. I still have mine and plan on not using it, so I am probably going to post it up for free on the Minnesota Pentaxian's group pretty soon as it expires a week from after the K-30 show. I'm sure someone would be happy to buy a 749 dollar K-30 body.
07-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Agree'd my friend who would never had have went into Pentax would have never bought a K-30 until he went to the show, the K-30 is very impressive from what the show taught us. Most importantly is the $100 bucks off coupon they gave us to buy at our local Pentax retailers. I still have mine and plan on not using it, so I am probably going to post it up for free on the Minnesota Pentaxian's group pretty soon as it expires a week from after the K-30 show. I'm sure someone would be happy to buy a 749 dollar K-30 body.
Very nice of you. I'm not sure what local retailer they are going to point to here in Atlanta but perhaps I will learn that there actually is one
07-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I wish they'd have a DC show so I could pick up one of those coupons. I can't believe they aren't coming to DC!