Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2012, 06:27 AM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 887
K-30 focus microadjustment for individual lenses?

Does the K30 have support for microfocus adjustments for multiple lenses? Or is it like the K-x, one global microfocus setting that has to be accessed by a hidden debug menu? Thanks!

Charles.

07-19-2012, 06:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,958
Yup, it does, for up to 10 I believe. Just like the k-7, k-5, and k-r.
07-19-2012, 06:39 AM   #3
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, it does, for up to 10 I believe. Just like the k-7, k-5, and k-r.
Excellent, another way that it is different from the entry-level cameras that Pentax has offered in the past.
07-19-2012, 06:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
loco's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,836
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yup, it does, for up to 10 I believe. Just like the k-7, k-5, and k-r.
The K-r has global adjustment, not for separate lenses. But yeah, this is a great feature for the K-30!

07-19-2012, 09:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
According to the manual (p. 110), the K-30 offers microadjustment for "up to 20 lens types".
07-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #6
Senior Member
Ben E's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Israel
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 177
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
The K-r has global adjustment, not for separate lenses. But yeah, this is a great feature for the K-30!
Yeah, unfortunately it is global adjustment on the K-r, which is really annoying because I have to set it at -10 for my Helios while my other primes I use it at -3 or -1...
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,958
Update: it supports 20 lenses.

Update 2: didn't see post #5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-19-2012, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: U.K.
Posts: 685
Does it work with non-Pentax lenses? And if it does can it remember settings for say 2 Sigma lenses, or 1 Sigma and 1 Tamron.

07-19-2012, 09:39 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 7,411
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Does it work with non-Pentax lenses? And if it does can it remember settings for say 2 Sigma lenses, or 1 Sigma and 1 Tamron.
The manual just says that the "Apply One" option: "will appear on the display only when the lens ID is obtained."

I think this means that any lens capable of transferring its info to the camera electronically will work, but unfortunately I don't have any third-party AF lenses to test it with. Hopefully someone else can clarify.
07-19-2012, 09:52 AM   #10
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Does it work with non-Pentax lenses? And if it does can it remember settings for say 2 Sigma lenses, or 1 Sigma and 1 Tamron.
If it behaves like the K-7 (and I can see no reason why it would not), and AF lens is supported. The gotcha with third-party lenses is that sometimes different lenses have the same lens ID, so the camera can't tell them apart (ex. Sigma 70-200/2.8 and 50-150/2.8 II have the same ID). That is, of course, only a problem if you happen to own 2 lenses with the same ID yourself.
07-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Durham, nc
Photos: Albums
Posts: 887
Original Poster
Cool. I have a K-x now, and it's really a hassle to use my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 because I have to go into debug mode every time to adjust the microfocus. So oft as not, I leave the Tamron at home and take something else in that range. Which stinks, because when the Tamron is focused, it's nice and sharp. When it's focused.

Between the lens adjustment, GPS compatibility (I want the star tracking), weather sealing, pentaprism, and most especially the new focus engine, the K30 really has me interested in upgrading. Now only if it would come down a couple hundred dollars

Charles.
07-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by ChopperCharles Quote
Cool. I have a K-x now, and it's really a hassle to use my Tamron 28-75 f2.8 because I have to go into debug mode every time to adjust the microfocus. So oft as not, I leave the Tamron at home and take something else in that range. Which stinks, because when the Tamron is focused, it's nice and sharp. When it's focused.

Between the lens adjustment, GPS compatibility (I want the star tracking), weather sealing, pentaprism, and most especially the new focus engine, the K30 really has me interested in upgrading. Now only if it would come down a couple hundred dollars

Charles.
Patience. It only took the K-5 a little while to drop a bit in price. We've had at least one member here order from Singapore and save around $75 from what I can tell. Alternatively, you could come to Atlanta for the K-30 Road Show on August 7th and get a $100 off coupon.
07-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #13
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,895
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Alternatively, you could come to Atlanta for the K-30 Road Show on August 7th and get a $100 off coupon.
Agree'd my friend who would never had have went into Pentax would have never bought a K-30 until he went to the show, the K-30 is very impressive from what the show taught us. Most importantly is the $100 bucks off coupon they gave us to buy at our local Pentax retailers. I still have mine and plan on not using it, so I am probably going to post it up for free on the Minnesota Pentaxian's group pretty soon as it expires a week from after the K-30 show. I'm sure someone would be happy to buy a 749 dollar K-30 body.
07-19-2012, 03:16 PM   #14
Veteran Member
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 11,275
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Agree'd my friend who would never had have went into Pentax would have never bought a K-30 until he went to the show, the K-30 is very impressive from what the show taught us. Most importantly is the $100 bucks off coupon they gave us to buy at our local Pentax retailers. I still have mine and plan on not using it, so I am probably going to post it up for free on the Minnesota Pentaxian's group pretty soon as it expires a week from after the K-30 show. I'm sure someone would be happy to buy a 749 dollar K-30 body.
Very nice of you. I'm not sure what local retailer they are going to point to here in Atlanta but perhaps I will learn that there actually is one
07-19-2012, 03:55 PM   #15
Site Supporter
loco's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Virginia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,836
I wish they'd have a DC show so I could pick up one of those coupons. I can't believe they aren't coming to DC!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, microfocus, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
10 Reasons why manual focus primes are better than those new auto focus zoom lenses JoepLX3 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 188 07-25-2012 03:28 PM
For Sale - Sold: Pentax 645N plus lenses (as a kit or individual) (US/UK/CAN/AUS) Photo Central Sold Items 0 07-11-2011 10:00 AM
Confirm my understand of metering w/ manual lenses focus hyperfocal focus DeadJohn Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 4 03-25-2011 12:31 PM
Individual mandate struck down mikemike General Talk 33 02-04-2011 07:25 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:59 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top