Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 02:36 PM   #16

Nice video.

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
The focus peaking ..., peaking during the video function description
So, K-30 DOES have focus peaking during video. I thought peaking option was available only during live view.

07-20-2012, 02:39 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorski Quote
Nice video.

So, K-30 DOES have focus peaking during video. I thought peaking option was available only during live view.
No, it doesn't. There's peaking when you're initially framing the video, but as soon as you start recording it goes away.
07-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gorski Quote
Nice video.

He never showed peaking working in video though did he.
07-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #19
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
The peaking conks out as soon as you start recording. We didn't show this out of deliberate negligence.

07-20-2012, 02:45 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Well, I guess I misinterpret the statement about focus peaking. I am still surprised that it does NOT allow focus peaking during video.
07-20-2012, 03:03 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Great video! Informative and cheesily watchable! Have put a link on the UK forum.
07-20-2012, 05:23 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
mentioned this to one of the salespeople i talked to today when hunting for a da 50, his comment was doesn't everything beat a canon

07-20-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Wish there was a transcript, I am not going to watch an 11:42 video review.

I have a K-30 . I don't have the T4i but do have a T3i which is very similar.
I don't agree that the K-30 blows away the T3i in every way.

There are some important aspects in which the T3i, and by extension the T4i, are superior to the K-30, especially in video mode.

1) The T3i has an articulated which is sorely missed on the K-30.

2) You have full manual controls on the T3i in video mode. Almost, but not quite on the K-30 - you cannot adjust the aperture, unless you use a lens with an aperture ring.

3) The built-in audio on the K-30 is mono, 32 khz, and there is an awful background noise every time. The T3i built-in mic is also mono, but it records at 48 khz, and the quality is decent. Furthermore, the T3i has a mic input jack, and the T3i can record in stereo from that jack.

4) T3i supports Magic Lantern, which has some very useful additional functions, including the ability to automatically resume video recording after you hit the maximum file size (there is a pause of a few seconds). This is not possible on the K-30, you have to manually start recording again.

5) The T3i/T4i have an optional battery grip, the K-30 does not. The grip is always on my T3i so I can use 6 AAs. On the other hand, the K-30 can use 4 AAs without grip, but it requires an adapter.

The K-30 of course has many advantages over the T3i. It does have better picture quality, SR works with all lenses, less noise at high ISO, much higher fps (though fps are higher on the T4i).

I am keeping both cameras until one exists that is truly better in every way.
07-20-2012, 06:10 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The focus peaking and 100% viewfinder were both mentioned in the video, peaking during the video function description and the viewfinder during the wrap-up. We tried to focus on what was new with this camera, instead of reiterating great features that Pentax cameras have had for years, like the green button, and unique exposure modes. Also, we will never be as detailed as a written review, as I try to keep to our videos short and entertaining. My main goal with this video was to emphasize how much camera you get for the price, not specifically to push the benefits of Pentax DSLRs.
I enjoyed the video. It's always nice to see Pentax get some well-deserved praise. Maybe less fishing next time.
07-20-2012, 06:27 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The K-30 of course has many advantages over the T3i. It does have better picture quality, SR works with all lenses, less noise at high ISO, much higher fps (though fps are higher on the T4i).
I have no interest in video, so the K-30 makes the right choices for me. Dual wheels is a HUGE advantage, no competitor offers this in a mid-level body. You've missed other significant K-30 advantages too; focus peaking, WR, 100% pentaprism. IMO, at this price, Pentax has knocked it out of the park.
07-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I have no interest in video, so the K-30 makes the right choices for me. Dual wheels is a HUGE advantage, no competitor offers this in a mid-level body. You've missed other significant K-30 advantages too; focus peaking, WR, 100% pentaprism. IMO, at this price, Pentax has knocked it out of the park.
Yes, you are right, I didn't list all those K-30 advantages.
I am not saying the K-30 is a bad camera, I did buy it after all, and I am keeping it.

But to say it topples the T3i/T4i in every way is simply incorrect.

Video may not matter for you but it obviously matters to a lot of people who are buying the K-30, including myself. Pentax has been playing catchup in that area on their cameras for many years.
They are definitely improving the video features with the K-30, but still playing catchup with Canon somewhat IMO.
07-20-2012, 06:39 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Video may not matter for you but it obviously matters to a lot of people who are buying the K-30, including myself. Pentax has been playing catchup in that area on their cameras for many years.
They are definitely improving the video features with the K-30, but still playing catchup with Canon somewhat IMO.
I completely agree. But these cameras are designed to meet a price point. Canon puts more resources into the video section. Pentax has chosen remarkable still photography features. Given that no one can offer everything at this price level, I prefer the choices Pentax made.
07-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #28
Forum Member

Wish there was a transcript, I am not going to watch an 11:42 video review.

I have a K-30 . I don't have the T4i but do have a T3i which is very similar.
I don't agree that the K-30 blows away the T3i in every way.

There are some important aspects in which the T3i, and by extension the T4i, are superior to the K-30, especially in video mode.

1) The T3i has an articulated which is sorely missed on the K-30.

2) You have full manual controls on the T3i in video mode. Almost, but not quite on the K-30 - you cannot adjust the aperture, unless you use a lens with an aperture ring.

3) The built-in audio on the K-30 is mono, 32 khz, and there is an awful background noise every time. The T3i built-in mic is also mono, but it records at 48 khz, and the quality is decent. Furthermore, the T3i has a mic input jack, and the T3i can record in stereo from that jack.

4) T3i supports Magic Lantern, which has some very useful additional functions, including the ability to automatically resume video recording after you hit the maximum file size (there is a pause of a few seconds). This is not possible on the K-30, you have to manually start recording again.

5) The T3i/T4i have an optional battery grip, the K-30 does not. The grip is always on my T3i so I can use 6 AAs. On the other hand, the K-30 can use 4 AAs without grip, but it requires an adapter.

I am keeping both cameras until one exists that is truly better in every way.
A couple thoughts on this post:
On (2) you state that aperture cannot be controlled in video mode. The aperture is fully adjustable in video mode UNTIL you start recording. I never adjust aperture during a shot as DSLR lenses tend to only adjust in 1/3 stop increments. I use a fader if exposure needs to be adjusted during a shot.

Also, the Rebel Rebel T4i shoots at up to five fps, but only for three shots as we show here:
The K30 shoots six fps for 6 shots as shown in the video.
07-20-2012, 07:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I am slightly confused - why would people want to adjust aperture while a video is recording? Would the change in depth of field not be distracting?
07-20-2012, 07:20 PM   #30
Veteran Member

A couple thoughts on this post:
On (2) you state that aperture cannot be controlled in video mode. The aperture is fully adjustable in video mode UNTIL you start recording.
Right, I meant during the reccording, not before. I don't really see why the Canon can do it, and the K-30 cannot.

QuoteQuote:
I use a fader if exposure needs to be adjusted during a shot.
What do you mean by that.

QuoteQuote:
Also, the Rebel Rebel T4i shoots at up to five fps, but only for three shots as we show here:
Canon Rebel T4i (650D) Hands-On Field Test - YouTube
The K30 shoots six fps for 6 shots as shown in the video.
Yes, the T3i is even slower in fps (strange, as the T2i is faster).
Of course, these T2/3/4i series have 18 MP and the K-30 has 16. But the fps are definitely not their forte.