Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 07:22 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I am slightly confused - why would people want to adjust aperture while a video is recording? Would the change in depth of field not be distracting?
Sometimes, you may want to change the DoF intentionally if you change your subject.
If you zoom in/out during video recording, you already change the aperture - but you can't manually control by how much on the K-30.

07-20-2012, 07:49 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This reminds me of a couple years ago when my money was on the line, and the K-x put a smack down on the t2i. I had initially bought the hot-new-kid-on-the-block t2i to replace my Olympus e-510, but I returned it when I realized the K-x was a better camera for much less money. History has repeated itself, and I have a K-30 on the way.
07-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
This reminds me of a couple years ago when my money was on the line, and the K-x put a smack down on the t2i. I had initially bought the hot-new-kid-on-the-block t2i to replace my Olympus e-510, but I returned it when I realized the K-x was a better camera for much less money. History has repeated itself, and I have a K-30 on the way.
That may have been true for K-x vs T2i but it certainly isn't all that clear for K-30 vs T3i/T4i. For video the Canons clearly still win.
07-20-2012, 08:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
That may have been true for K-x vs T2i but it certainly isn't all that clear for K-30 vs T3i/T4i. For video the Canons clearly still win.
I think that the vast majority of people who buy a DSLR are primarily buying it for photography. But yes, the point has already been well made that both cameras have their strengths and weaknesses. It would kind of be like saying that one sports car is better than the other because it has more luggage space. While more space for hauling things is always good, it's not really the primary purpose of that type of vehicle. A DSLR is still primarily a photographic tool.

07-20-2012, 08:31 PM   #35
Forum Member

I am slightly confused - why would people want to adjust aperture while a video is recording? Would the change in depth of field not be distracting?
They generally don't. That's why I don't find the lack of mid-video aperture adjustment to be an issue at all.
07-20-2012, 08:38 PM   #36
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote

What do you mean by that.
A fader is a common name for two colour neutral polarizing filters stacked on top of each other in a single filter. It generally allows 2-8 stops of light adjustment, and the exposure adjustments move smoothly instead of in the large 1/3 stop increments our cameras are designed to expose. They have some drawbacks (reflective light can shift oddly, colour shifts occur on cheaper faders, and flare can be more pronounced), but they are very handy for video. For DSLR shooting, I use a Genus Fader. They are very colour neutral and much less expensive than the Schneider, Tiffen and Singh Ray filters.
07-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote
They generally don't. That's why I don't find the lack of mid-video aperture adjustment to be an issue at all.
Ah ok - thanks for info. I know that ISO also changes exposure value, and can be used when shooting video, but what about shutter speed?
07-20-2012, 09:41 PM - 1 Like   #38
Forum Member

Ah ok - thanks for info. I know that ISO also changes exposure value, and can be used when shooting video, but what about shutter speed?
Shutter speed determines the sense of motion in a video. For the most natural looking movement, your shutter speed should be half your framerate. For a camera shooting 1080/30P, your shutter speed should be 1/60th. For 24P your shutter speed should be a 48th, or on a DSLR 1/50th. Faster shutter speeds lead to a jerky, hyper realistic look, like the introduction of Saving Private Ryan or the Bourne movies. Generally, its best to keep your shutter speed constant.

07-20-2012, 09:49 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by TCSJordan Quote

Shutter speed determines the sense of motion in a video. For the most natural looking movement, your shutter speed should be half your framerate. For a camera shooting 1080/30P, your shutter speed should be 1/60th. For 24P your shutter speed should be a 48th, or on a DSLR 1/50th. Faster shutter speeds lead to a jerky, hyper realistic look, like the introduction of Saving Private Ryan or the Bourne movies. Generally, its best to keep your shutter speed constant.
Thanks again - I won't derail this any further. You've given me a ton of info for videography!