Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-20-2012, 11:07 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K30 Field Review - Topples Canon T4i

Very responsive Live view being much faster than T4i. Big bang for buck, generally very positive review.

"...overall we really really like this camera." He's not big on it's looks but "... it handles well, we beat the crap out of it, takes that with no problem, which is great classic Pentax slr. We were very happy with the image quality overall... the autofocusing is vastly improved, that live view is a big surprise too... the camera continuously focuses nice, you get the dynamic autofocus... a nice feature in this price range... battery option is great, double A option is a cool feature... Pentax has really given you a lot for your money... it's great to see Pentax returning to their classic good value for the money, big bang for the bucks, so I do like that. It handles like a classic camera, easy to use...
"Overall, when you look at this price point with the lens, under $1000... we played with the T4i, this thing dominates a camera like that... much better SLR, much nicer features, and basically the same price point. Overall folks we recommend this highly as long as you get past that running shoe look, this is a great one to have."

https://www.thecamerastore.com/blog/2012/07/19/pentax-k-30-hands-field-test

I don't know about you but now I'm really expecting great improvements for the top tier k5 replacement coming up soon!

07-20-2012, 11:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

When was the last time a Canon was a better camera than the equivalent Pentax (save AF and flash)?
07-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
When was the last time a Canon was a better camera than the equivalent Pentax (save AF and flash)?
Yep but how often does the reviewer say that. We all know that Pentax cameras generally beat the competing canon models (particularly in the mid entry level) but the reviews rarely say they stomp the Canon offering.
07-20-2012, 11:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Camera Store is very good with Pentax. And they are on this forum too!

07-20-2012, 11:44 AM   #5
Inactive Account

I really really want canon to go down a peg or two. I really can't stand the feel of their entry level cameras, and I dont feel they deserve to stay where they are- Atleast in comparison to Pentax.

I think Ricoh could realistically give canon a run for its money, give them ten years. I feel Nikon is slightly out of reach.
That's just my opinion about what I think about the brands though. Not based on any facts and I'm most probably talking utter rubbish.
07-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by parsons Quote
I really really want canon to go down a peg or two. I really can't stand the feel of their entry level cameras, and I dont feel they deserve to stay where they are- Atleast in comparison to Pentax.

I think Ricoh could realistically give canon a run for its money, give them ten years. I feel Nikon is slightly out of reach.
That's just my opinion about what I think about the brands though. Not based on any facts and I'm most probably talking utter rubbish.
Agreed on Canon based on the lack of flair they are displaying in comparison to Nikon currently.

D800 vs 5d Mk3
D3200 vs T4i
07-20-2012, 11:53 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by solar1 Quote
we recommend this highly as long as you get past that running shoe look
What? What the hell does he mean by that?

07-20-2012, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Nikon has canon in their sites this year. Canon will likely still win the overall photo market share due to the P&S line but in the SLR market Nikon could well nock them off this year (with hopefully some help from Pentax)
Entry level canon has mostly been less than impressive, but they are really good at getting it in fron of the mass market and selling on price in warehouse stores and big boxes. For them the old retail maxim of Pile it high and watch it fly really seems to work, and is the biggest challenge for anyone trying to take them down. It's a self perpetuating thing, they sell tons so are # 1 then the buyers for the big chains use the share #s to drive what they buy and promote
It will take some time to break that cycle, but i bet this christmas the D3200 is heavily promoted
07-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
LOL I thought the same thing, I actually like the look. I can i guess see the running shoe thing based on the flash lip
07-20-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pete-tarmigan Quote
haha, in the video he says the k-30 looks like his sandal..the texture...he does not like it
07-20-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I was disappointed that some great features were not even mentioned; green button, program shift, focus peaking, 100% OVF, User modes, S-mode, TAv. I didn't get a sense the reviewer knew much about Pentax.
07-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
haha, in the video he says the k-30 looks like his sandal..the texture...he does not like it
Some people will think of sandals (!!), others will think of Ferrari steering wheels. I prefer to think of it as attractive and functional.

In high-humidity Hong Kong, the K-30 grip works well.

Forgetting all the above, T4i vs K-30?!?

So many reviewers do an injustice to their profession. How many mentions do we get of pentaprism vs pentamirror? Almost none. The T4i is a 95% pentamirror.

That's point one... I could go on... but other fun is away from this computer!
07-20-2012, 01:55 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I was disappointed that some great features were not even mentioned; green button, program shift, focus peaking, 100% OVF, User modes, S-mode, TAv. I didn't get a sense the reviewer knew much about Pentax.
Focus peaking is mentioned. Barely, but it is, so the reviewer knows about it. The exposure modes are nice too, but I wouldn't really consider them that important when compared to SR, WR, noise performance and just getting a general feel for the camera. But I agree the 100% OVF could have been mentioned, since it's not common in this price range. Nice to know he finds the AF (albeit with the fast DC 18-135 lens) to be so responsive.
07-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #14
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
The focus peaking and 100% viewfinder were both mentioned in the video, peaking during the video function description and the viewfinder during the wrap-up. We tried to focus on what was new with this camera, instead of reiterating great features that Pentax cameras have had for years, like the green button, and unique exposure modes. Also, we will never be as detailed as a written review, as I try to keep to our videos short and entertaining. My main goal with this video was to emphasize how much camera you get for the price, not specifically to push the benefits of Pentax DSLRs.
07-20-2012, 02:26 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
I might agree.. But remember when you are buying a camera you are not getting a camera only , you are entering a complete system, And there is when canikon wins hands down...

I shoot with a Canon 60D, but I'm very insterested on switch to pentax.. But the limited amount of used lenses (AF) in the market is very short. And sometimes those lenses go way higher in price because they don't show often so when they are, you must get it right away or you could spend a lot of time again searching for one..

I know that Pentax is offering way superior cameras than canon, if pentax had all the 3rd party accesories, used market, and lenses... Damn Pentax would be kicking Canon for sure.. and might be just a hair bellow Nikon..

Last edited by CyberManiaK; 07-20-2012 at 02:33 PM.