Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 05:25 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TJWest Quote
Hi, it does look like this is what I will be doing as well. Thanks for all the tips everyone!
There have been weak and/or defective copies of the 18-135 (and every other lens). I suspect there's more that can go wrong with a superzoom, because of the complex construction. My 18-135 needed +10 AF adjustment, and I used it that way for several months. When I sent it back, I specified repair, no exchange, because I was happy with the performance in every other way. Test your copy carefully when you receive it, send it back if it's not up to scratch. If it is a good copy, I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with your choice.

07-22-2012, 05:58 AM   #17
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
There have been weak and/or defective copies of the 18-135 (and every other lens). I suspect there's more that can go wrong with a superzoom, because of the complex construction. My 18-135 needed +10 AF adjustment, and I used it that way for several months. When I sent it back, I specified repair, no exchange, because I was happy with the performance in every other way. Test your copy carefully when you receive it, send it back if it's not up to scratch. If it is a good copy, I'm pretty sure you'll be pleased with your choice.
Hi that is good advice, thank you very much! I will be buying it from a local camera store which is known for its good customer service.
07-22-2012, 06:12 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Check the new K-30 18-135mm sample gallery at DPR: pentax-k30-preview-gallery: dpreview review samples: Galleries: Digital Photography Review
07-22-2012, 07:15 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
and mine was OK to focus but had bad color fringing above about 70mm. The latest cameras can correct that or you can do it in post processing.. or you can get a lens that doesn't do that, which was my decision. As audiobomber notes: test and evaluate, as the other features make the 18-135 worth having. But if you go the other way I understand, I find the 18-55 to be a great part of my kit along with a 50 macro and 55-300.

Last edited by jimr-pdx; 07-22-2012 at 07:54 AM.
07-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
and mine was OK to focus but had bad color fringing above about 70mm.
I remember seeing your samples, it was truly was awful. Coupled with the horrible review on Photozone, I'm not at all surprised that you went for a refund rather than try another 18-135.
07-23-2012, 06:24 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davallree Quote
Hey everyone,

just wondering, I really want the white body AND the 18-55 WR as the kit lens.

Where can I find this kit??? Am I missing it somewhere? The only WR kit I have seen is the BLACK body with 18-135 WR.

Thank you

David Allin
I saw it on the UK Amazon site awhile back, but not in the US and that could have been a mistake. I think some of the European countries definitely have it. I wanted the Blue with the 18-135 but no dice on that one either. Good Luck, hope you can find one.