Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-24-2012, 05:22 PM   #16

Thanks, robwill. If it seems more people are experiencing the same problem, that actually makes me less anxious to send it in. If it's a common problem, we can hope for a firmware fix. But if I'm only one of a tiny minority experiencing it, well, I just want mine to work like everyone else's.

07-24-2012, 07:22 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I will check for this as soon as I can get my camera back, I've left it with guys who are fixing front focus on my tamron 17-50.
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mspoon Quote
So can I kindly ask once more for what dwsiii asked for before: can any K-30 owners out there definitely say that they are NOT experiencing this problem? I just want to know that good units really are out there before I send mine in because, with my luck, I'll get the same thing back with no fix. :-(
I have recorded a couple hours of video with the K-30, including one hour at a piano recital last sunday. The only time when the shutter fired during video recording was when the maximum movie duration was reached.
I actually like that, since the noise gave me a cue to use my remote to restart the video.

Of course, not as good as having Magic lantern on the T3i where it simply restarts another video recording without any shutter noise.

I recorded that recital with 3 cameras actually and have a lot of footage to edit. 41 GB to be precise !
07-25-2012, 05:54 PM   #19

My new K-30 does the same thing as yours when shotting video. Doesn't seem to affect anything else.

07-26-2012, 06:09 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by madbrain Quote
The only time when the shutter fired during video recording was when the maximum movie duration was reached.
This is probably a stupid question, but just wanted to confirm -- you recorded at different apertures and not just at f/4, right? If so, it does seem you have a K-30 that doesn't have the problem. But based on the (unscientific) poll so far, those who do have the problem outweigh those who don't. Not sure what to think now...
07-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

This is probably a stupid question, but just wanted to confirm -- you recorded at different apertures and not just at f/4, right? If so, it does seem you have a K-30 that doesn't have the problem. But based on the (unscientific) poll so far, those who do have the problem outweigh those who don't. Not sure what to think now...
The exposure mode was in full auto. I am not sure how to tell what it was from the file.
08-02-2012, 03:13 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to muddy the water, my K-30 has returned (Alas still minus Tamron 17-50, needs more advanced fixing overseas /sigh).

F3.5 - no shutter
F4.0/4.5/5.6 etc - shutter fires

Tried these apertures twice, with the kit 18-55mm without power off.

A power cycle brought it into line with what seems to be most common, F3.5 fires shutter F4.0 no shutter repeatable F4.5 fires shutter etc. Oh well whatever causes this I'm not going to lose sleep over it, potentially firmware bug.
08-02-2012, 06:10 AM   #23

Thanks, FruitLooPs. Looking back at the responses, it seems that the problem is actually quite prevalent. madbrain is actually the only one so far to have responded to say he's not seen the problem. I'll try to contact Pentax support again with these findings since Randall S said that it was not a known issue when I chatted with him last week. If we let them know this is a common problem, hopefully they'll address it sooner rather than later. But you're right; it's not something to lose sleep over. :-)

08-02-2012, 06:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thanks, FruitLooPs. Looking back at the responses, it seems that the problem is actually quite prevalent. madbrain is actually the only one so far to have responded to say he's not seen the problem. I'll try to contact Pentax support again with these findings since Randall S said that it was not a known issue when I chatted with him last week. If we let them know this is a common problem, hopefully they'll address it sooner rather than later. But you're right; it's not something to lose sleep over. :-)
Actually I take it back, I I do have the problem.
For the piano recital, I was recording with 3 cameras.
The K-30 shutter at the end of the video can be heard in the audio of the other 2 cameras.

On the other hand, without that shutter sound, I might never know the K-30 it stopped recording unless I look at my watch.
It is a real problem when one of the pieces exceeds the maximum duration of the recording, as it did in the case of Beethoven's pathetique which ran 22 minutes.

I have not tested the different apertures to see how they are affected.

It sure sounds like a firmware bug, hopefully one that can be fixed.
08-09-2012, 07:32 AM   #25

Just as an update, I wrote to Pentax support about this, as well as my issues with the K-30 becoming unresponsive. I indicated a hope that the information be passed on as a set of bug fix candidates. I received a reply this morning, again from Randall S. He states, "We have not received a notification from PENTAX Japan that this is a known issue in the K-30." His wording leads me to believe that the discovery and documentation of bugs only occurs in Japan, and that information is then relayed out to the rest of Pentax worldwide.

I mentioned my willingness to wait for a firmware fix, and Randall discouraged that. He urged me to return the camera to them instead, so I believe I will go ahead and do that. Perhaps that's how to get both of these problems on their radar.