Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

k-30 or k-5

i want to buy a pentax but im confused if i go for the k-30 or k5? any suggestions?

07-22-2012, 03:54 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you seen our K-30 review? It compares the two cameras in many aspects.

Pentax K-30 Camera Review - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-22-2012, 05:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

As Adam suggests read the review.

If you are new to photography I would highly recommend the K-30 with either of the kit lenses that are being offered.

Regards

Neil
07-23-2012, 10:58 PM   #4

I was asking the same question 3 months ago and ended up choosing the K30.
But I don't consider the K-30 a better camera than the K-5, they each have their own strength and weakness.
I have picked the K-30 just because the availability of the 18-135wr lens as a package and the attractive pricing. I am happy with my decision so far.

07-24-2012, 06:57 AM   #5

This is my question, too

I've been asking myself this very question since I read the first reviews of the K-30. I think I'm coming down on the side of the K-30.

For several years I've been shooting with a K2000. My biggest complaint (given the market segment the camera is in) is the AF system. It seems like the K-30 distinguishes itself from the K-5 in exactly this area, with improvements to the PD and CD algorithms, and also with focus peaking (I'm really looking forward to using that).

On the other hand, the biggest things that would draw me to the K-5 are the top LCD the 14-bit RAW format.

Also, for plain old usability, I'm not excited about the K-30's battery life. I haven't had the opportunity to hold one yet, but I'm actually concerned that it might be too light. Having some mass affords a bit of shake resistance.
07-24-2012, 12:12 PM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by CWuestefeld Quote
I've been asking myself this very question since I read the first reviews of the K-30. I think I'm coming down on the side of the K-30.

For several years I've been shooting with a K2000. My biggest complaint (given the market segment the camera is in) is the AF system. It seems like the K-30 distinguishes itself from the K-5 in exactly this area, with improvements to the PD and CD algorithms, and also with focus peaking (I'm really looking forward to using that).

On the other hand, the biggest things that would draw me to the K-5 are the top LCD the 14-bit RAW format.

Also, for plain old usability, I'm not excited about the K-30's battery life. I haven't had the opportunity to hold one yet, but I'm actually concerned that it might be too light. Having some mass affords a bit of shake resistance.

About the battery life, so far I've manage to get over 1200 shots with the battery not even half empty. I am happy with the battery life. Plus there is always the option of AA just in case.
07-24-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Bro I've had the hardest time choosing between the K-30 and K-5... The thing that eventually got me choosing the K-5 was that the K-30 wasn't out yet and there were rumors of it being delayed all the time. I was impatient and got the K-5 which I am happy with the choice. You can't go wrong with either the K-5 or K-30, their specifications are too close to take forever to choose from. The K-30 does have better AF in extreme lighting conditions and from multiple reports of users here who do own the K-30 say that the AF tracking is much better on K-30 also. However the K-5 does have a top LCD which is useful for not wasting battery life by looking at the bright back LCD all the time. Sure the K-5 has magnesium alloy build, but the K-30 like all Pentax polycarbonate builds, have a very high quality feel to them that makes them feel like magnesium alloy when compared to similar Canon bodies. My friend just recently got a K-30 and it feels solid at the same level of my K-5, so can't go wrong there. If you do get the K-30, I would suggest getting Sanyo Eneloops or similar batteries. Being able to use AA is a huge plus, way more battery life than the lithium ion pack that comes stock with the camera.
07-24-2012, 12:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Bro I've had the hardest time choosing between the K-30 and K-5... The thing that eventually got me choosing the K-5 was that the K-30 wasn't out yet and there were rumors of it being delayed all the time. I was impatient and got the K-5 which I am happy with the choice. You can't go wrong with either the K-5 or K-30, their specifications are too close to take forever to choose from. The K-30 does have better AF in extreme lighting conditions and from multiple reports of users here who do own the K-30 say that the AF tracking is much better on K-30 also. However the K-5 does have a top LCD which is useful for not wasting battery life by looking at the bright back LCD all the time. Sure the K-5 has magnesium alloy build, but the K-30 like all Pentax polycarbonate builds, have a very high quality feel to them that makes them feel like magnesium alloy when compared to similar Canon bodies. My friend just recently got a K-30 and it feels solid at the same level of my K-5, so can't go wrong there. If you do get the K-30, I would suggest getting Sanyo Eneloops or similar batteries. Being able to use AA is a huge plus, way more battery life than the lithium ion pack that comes stock with the camera.
Oh yeah!!

07-24-2012, 05:53 PM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
However the K-5 does have a top LCD which is useful for not wasting battery life by looking at the bright back LCD all the time.
I am coming from film days where the only digital display was inside the viewfinder so I have a limited view here. The view finder does have a display inside where you can see the shutter, aperture and ISO info correct? I understand how people can get used to having an LCD and miss it when it's gone but, it really doesn't see like that big a deal to me. You don't have to wear down the battery by looking at the display on back all the time. You can just keep you fingers on the dials (handy having two on the K-30) and adjust in the viewfinder. I'm just not getting why it's so coveted by people other than being a minor convenience but again, I haven't had the time to get used to a top LCD either so....
07-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Unless you need the slightly improved AF, shoot lots of video, or can't handle a mag/alloy body's weight.. I'd go with the K-5.. better IQ/dynamic range, better battery life, optional grip..
07-24-2012, 07:05 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Personally, I'd go with the K-5 as it seems like its better body.
07-25-2012, 02:28 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks foir the input guys. that was helpful. will keep u posted on what i'll get..
07-25-2012, 07:38 AM   #13

I went through the same decision process between the K5 and K30 and in the end opted for the K30. I couldn't be happier with the choice. I like shooting manual focus and short DOF. The focus peaking was the deciding factor and It's even better than I had hoped for. I wouldn't want to be without it now. As far as the top LCD, I moved from the K10D to the K30 so was used to having the LCD. I haven't missed it at all. I'm learning the K30 on a trip to Lake Superior right now and doing a lot of experimenting and using live view a lot. The battery has only gone down 25% shooting 200 + shots with lots of dinking with settings between shots and changing lenses, reviewing shots on the screen. I do recharge at night. Battery life does not seem to be a concern. The AF is so much better than my K10, I can't believe how fast it focuses even in low light. Oh, last but not least, the IQ is great too. I am not disappointed in this camera in anyway and am happy with my choice of the K30. Whichever camera you choose, you'll be happy as they are both Pentax after all.
07-25-2012, 10:18 AM   #14

K-30 versus K-5 Mirror Noise

Is it true that the shutter/mirror noise on the K-5 is considerably quieter than on the K30?
07-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Veteran Member

check this

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/191819-definitive-ruling-k-30-shutter-sound.html