Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #1
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 123
DPReview K-30 Sample Images posted

Just posted: Quick Pentax K-30 samples gallery: Digital Photography Review

Some very nice images....

07-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Kitakyushu
Posts: 186
Wonderful images. Nice exposures and lovely colour.
07-23-2012, 04:32 AM   #3
Moo
Senior Member




Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 174
The lens is taking some flak from the commenters...
07-23-2012, 05:20 AM   #4
Banned




Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY/Germany
Posts: 1,183
Everything takes flack from the commenters there. It's little more than a forum for fanboys and not photography. Look at the output of many there for proof. It's basically an assemblage of people into teams under a brand banner. I was actually surprised with the lens. Thought it would be worse.

07-23-2012, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member
sb in ak's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Homer, AK
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 571
Bout time. Is it just me or was there no mention on DPReview when the K-30 was announced?
07-23-2012, 09:39 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Bout time. Is it just me or was there no mention on DPReview when the K-30 was announced?
It's just you.

Pentax K-30 16MP weather-sealed mid-level DSLR previewed: Digital Photography Review
07-23-2012, 01:48 PM   #7
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 87
I think the images are just OK, I am not a fanboy of Pentax or any other DSLR manufacturer as I do not even own one yet, but it is standard kit fare IMO. I am sold on the K30, but the images presented do not encourage me to take the 18 - 135 over the 18 - 55 to be honest. The primes will shine on the K30, but the kits look disappointing in general. OK for your average hobby or coming from P&S photographer, but for enthusiasts, borderline IMO, pros, forget it.
07-24-2012, 11:11 AM   #8
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29
After using the 16-50 2.8 from sony with a a77 i cant help but agree that pentax kit zooms are lacking. I mean that sony lens is on par with Carl Zeiss for half the price, Good stuff really, Other then that the k30 sencor looks to do its job surely ok.

07-24-2012, 11:18 AM   #9
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnLegrand Quote
After using the 16-50 2.8 from sony with a a77 i cant help but agree that pentax kit zooms are lacking. I mean that sony lens is on par with Carl Zeiss for half the price, Good stuff really, Other then that the k30 sencor looks to do its job surely ok.
The Sony 16-50 F2.8 might be sony's standard zoom, but in no way is that a kit zoom.

Pentax's 18-55 has been considered the best kit zoom out of the Canon and Nikon versions. The 18-135 is generally equal to the 18-55, with the added length and silent focusing motor.
07-24-2012, 11:34 AM   #10
Inactive Account




Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 29
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
The Sony 16-50 F2.8 might be sony's standard zoom, but in no way is that a kit zoom.

Pentax's 18-55 has been considered the best kit zoom out of the Canon and Nikon versions. The 18-135 is generally equal to the 18-55, with the added length and silent focusing motor.
I got it as a kit with the a77. For me thats a kit lens, Perhaps a high end 'kit lens' but with only a 100 dollar orso differnce in price with the 18 135 from Pentax, its ALOT better, competing with Pro level lenses out there. Not comparing with the really cheap 18-55.
07-24-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,234
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnLegrand Quote
I got it as a kit with the a77. For me thats a kit lens, Perhaps a high end 'kit lens' but with only a 100 dollar orso differnce in price with the 18 135 from Pentax, its ALOT better, competing with Pro level lenses out there. Not comparing with the really cheap 18-55.
Sorry but he's right it is not a Kit lens, it's not the entry level bundling lens. you are also comparing apples to oranges, what was the difference from the 18-55 kit? a lot more than $100
07-24-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Pentaxian
JinDesu's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: New York City
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,624
QuoteOriginally posted by eddie1960 Quote
Sorry but he's right it is not a Kit lens, it's not the entry level bundling lens. you are also comparing apples to oranges, what was the difference from the 18-55 kit? a lot more than $100
Well he's comparing to the 18-135.. but even then, I think the 18-135 is priced at $300 when bundled with the K-30.
07-24-2012, 12:51 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
eddie1960's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,234
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Well he's comparing to the 18-135.. but even then, I think the 18-135 is priced at $300 when bundled with the K-30.
but the lens he is comparing in FL is the 16-50 Sony, not the same animal,
Unfortunately Pentax doesn't kit with the 16-50 2.8 and if they did it would be stupidly expensive based on the new pricing. I bet you could get a kit from a dealer with the tamron 17-50 2.8 for about the same (if you had an actual B&M to go in and negotiate with),
the a77 kit is not even a comparative model. a77 in canada is 1499,
the A57 kit with the 18-135 is more the comparison model. priced at 999 for what is the lesser model in pretty much all aspects
A65 with the 18-135 is 1199 A65 with the 16-50 is 1599,
a77 with the 18-135 is 1799 and 2149 with the 16-50
A65 level doesn't exist in the Pentax world (yet) a77 level will be the K5 replacement,
Right now a K5 18-135 kit is 1499 so less than the a77 with similar kit, lesser sensor, but better across the board with better sensor performance according to DXO. Megapickles ain't everything
07-24-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Forum Member




Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Essex
Posts: 98
I can't see much point in these sample pictures they do. They all look pretty much the same to me, especially those in good light which could have been taken equally as well with a compact. There are just too many variables to make an accurate assesment in my opinion.
07-24-2012, 02:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian
Edgar_in_Indy's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Indiana, USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,596
QuoteOriginally posted by dc1500 Quote
I can't see much point in these sample pictures they do. They all look pretty much the same to me, especially those in good light which could have been taken equally as well with a compact. There are just too many variables to make an accurate assesment in my opinion.
Agreed, I was also disappointed with the set. Not because they're bad pictures, but as you said most of them aren't very challenging. It is also very obvious that the lens was a limiting factor. Hopefully they'll expand the set for the full review, and include pictures from higher-end glass.

That being said, I think that generally DPR does a good job with their sample shots. I just wish they would include more portraits/people pictures. Most of their photos are street/landscape. Don't these people have any kids or family members they can point their cameras at? There's a bald-headed kind of goofy looking guy that shows up in some of their pictures, but he's not the type you'd want to pixel-peep.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
More sample images at the Phoblographer ramseybuckeye Pentax K-30 & K-50 6 06-23-2012 08:17 AM
PENTAX K-r Sample Images jangole Pentax K-r 16 08-08-2011 06:47 AM
X100 sample images Pentaxor Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 24 02-09-2011 10:09 PM
Error Images are Posted Larger and More Blurry Colorado CJ Site Suggestions and Help 3 12-04-2010 11:26 PM
Suggestion move posted images to photo gallery Lowell Goudge Site Suggestions and Help 2 11-05-2010 11:06 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:10 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top