Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #1
Inactive Account

One thing reviews miss (to me)

is the feel.

I just upgraded from a istDL to a K30.
and one of my coworkers just got a K-5

I thought that these reviews should also compare the feel of the units. being used to a Canon 50D and a 600D
I would easly set both the k-5 and the ENTRY-level k-30 above the 50D and miles ahead of the 600 when it comes to feel:
Rocksolid, stable, you got something in your hands.

the 600 is in comparision a wimpy piece of Plastic and even the 50D feels a bit hollow.

the only camera that has been reported to some extend to be in the Bring-that-wall-down category is the Olympus e-5.

do you agree?

07-23-2012, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would agree with that assessment. Build quality a lot of the time is the least reported by reviewers for whatever reason, which is unfortunate because this is something Pentax builds into almost all of their cameras.
07-23-2012, 08:05 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I agree, there's something to be said for build quality - and sturdiness. They can be tricky to quantify, but solidity and sturdiness both give a feeling of confidence. I'm more likely to bring the camera along if I'm confident it won't be easily destroyed...
07-23-2012, 08:06 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I agree - there are few reviewers that mention build quality and ergonomics. After having used my k-x and held a D3100/T2i in my hands, I adore my k-x so much more. It's put into perspective the importance of button placements, material, and grip shape for me.

07-23-2012, 02:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

It is something that should be talked about, because it will sway certain buyers.

That was the first thing I noticed when going to a Canon t2i from my Olympus e-510. Where the Olympus felt sure and solid, the Canon just felt cheap. I had ordered the t2i online without handling it, and the feel was a huge disappointment for a $900 camera. I ended up returning the t2i and going with the Pentax K-x, which had the same solid feeling of my old Olympus.

The irony was that the Pentax and my Olympus had both been half the price of the Canon. Just goes to show you what good marketing/distribution can do. The only reason the K-x had gotten on my radar is because it got a brief mention on dailytech.com when it was introduced, and I thought it looked cool with the different colors. But except for that chance encounter, I probably would not have even known the K-x was out there.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-23-2012 at 07:18 PM.
07-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I agree, but we argue about objective things like specs, can you imagine the fan boys of every brand arguing over feel which would be highly subjective.

It's important no doubt and for me, absolutely essential to hold in my hands prior to plunking down the cash.
07-23-2012, 06:06 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Agree with you there.

Something else that annoys me: video capabilities given equal weight to still photography. The absurdity of this is made clear if you switched it round: grading a video camera on its ability to take stills. If I wanted a video camera, I'd have bought a video camera.
07-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Indeed, and Sony DSLR/SLT feel the same way too.
They just feel puffed up, hollow, plastic.
The dials are 'airy' and light to the touch/adjusting.

Pentax always felt good, and so does Nikon to me.

07-23-2012, 06:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Pentax always felt good, and so does Nikon to me.
I haven't handled any Nikon FX cameras but the couple of DX ones that I've used have been pretty good, the D7000 rising to the top for it's weight and solidness. While I really appreciate that Nikon has the same front and rear dials as Pentax does, some of the other button placements didn't work as well for me. I haven't much liked any Canon that I've handled.
07-23-2012, 09:43 PM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TomTextura Quote
I haven't much liked any Canon that I've handled.
Grab the 5d3 to handle if you get a chance. Seems very well built to me. Head and shoulders above the mark 2.
07-24-2012, 03:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RyanW Quote
Grab the 5d3 to handle if you get a chance. Seems very well built to me. Head and shoulders above the mark 2.
Got one to lend me? Actually, my brother's 30D was pretty solid feeling but it was bulky and I've never been able to warm up to the Canon rear wheel. The low end Canikon offerings, like the Rebels and D3100, have felt the worse. I'm sure there are big differences between those bottom of the rung cameras and the top tier ones. So far in my experience, the K-5's build and ergonomics are the best. I agree with the OP that the feel of a camera in hand is a very important aspect.
07-24-2012, 03:55 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The reason the feel is not described is because it is subjective. We, in the English speaking world, and from observation especially US, emphasise measured quantities and objective 'facts'. Therefore the emphasis on telling the facts that could be reported in spec sheets rather than the subjective description of the 'feel'. This also keeps the review which is published on objective facts, which protects the reviewer (or their publisher) from action, and keeps the stream of new review items coming from the suppliers, gratis.

When I was young we had a magazine called choice which reviewed all kinds of stuff, but they bought the product anonymously, not as for a review, and reported on everything, including the sales service, attitude to warranty support, and reported both use and destructive tests, such as trying to pull power cords off etc. These kinds of reviews told me much more about the product than the normal reviews.

When friends looks bewildered at my STak lenses on my digital camera I call them antiques, and then say "feel that" asking them to turn the focus ring. That impresses them. Feel! The intangible, unquantifiable wins them over.
07-24-2012, 09:41 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Hey, I devoted a whole paragraph to this!

QuoteQuote:
While it's no K-5, the Pentax K-30 is a very well-built camera. The polycarbonate body is made of very tough stuff indeed; when you tap on it or hold it by the grip, it's evident that there's a real density to it. Other mid-range cameras can sometimes feel like little more than hollow plastic shells, but aside from the telltale thunk of the shake reduction mechanism sloshing around inside, the K-30 feels like it's cut from a single piece. While our rational minds wish it had the same underlying magnesium body as the K-5, the truth is that we never noticed its absence in actual use.
07-24-2012, 10:57 AM   #14

agreed

Pentax has the best ergonomics, fit in the hand and user interface of the big three (I exclude Sony and Olympus). I use a Nikon d5100 as well and prefer handling the Pentax. I really wish they had a bigger marketing budget - they deserve to be number 2 (not #1, that place rightfully belongs to Nikon for various technical reasons that add up to better images (but at a pro level - for amateur usage, I really think Pentax offers better value - hopefully the built in quality issues of the past few models has now been ironed out in the K30 - time will tell).