Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2012, 03:41 PM   #46

Just got my package today. The optioWg-1 arrived earlier yesterday. It is the DA-L regular lens. Overall though an excellent deal and package from Costco. Getting on the phone with them now over the misprint. Also the memory card was put inside the Pentax bag, and the bag is the 85120 model and very nice!

08-03-2012, 05:34 PM   #47

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Just got my package today. The optioWg-1 arrived earlier yesterday. It is the DA-L regular lens. Overall though an excellent deal and package from Costco. Getting on the phone with them now over the misprint. Also the memory card was put inside the Pentax bag, and the bag is the 85120 model and very nice!
Please keep us posted on what Costco's response towards the misprint in their listing. TIA.
08-03-2012, 07:15 PM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Please keep us posted on what Costco's response towards the misprint in their listing. TIA.
Sure I will. I got to their customer service and the wanted to escalate it to their higher up department. They were closed when I called so they are going to give me a call on Monday or Tuesday.
08-04-2012, 08:00 AM   #49
Forum Member

I just got my Costco Package K30 yesterday and the only issue I have so far is that my camera won't acknowledge the Kingston 8GB class 10SD card that was included in the Costco package. No matter what I try, I get a "Memory Card Error" message. Seems OK in the computer though. Odd. Oh well, I'll just have them send me a replacement card. Bet they won't even ask for the "bad" card back.
Nice looking and feeling camera.

08-05-2012, 05:10 AM   #50
Forum Member

I have the package

Here is my post from another thread on a different board.

The K-30 came this morning and so far, I like what I see.

The Costco package.

K-30 w/DA L 18-55mm. This is not the WR lens.

Camera bag- Pentax 15x8x5 inches sling bag w/3 fixed compartments each w/its own outside zipper access. Two of these compartments have movable partitions.

Kingston 8GB SD card.

Pentax Optio WG-1 pocket camera.

90 day no questions asked return policy. I can take the camera on my next cruise for a real workout before making a final decision.

Problems

Terminal cover. I opened this thing, and it took me 15 minutes to get it closed. I had to mash on it with a blunt metal object to get it to close properly.

Kingston SD card. I tried the card in the K-30 first and got a "memory card error" in the LCD screen. I tried to format the card and got the same error. I put it in my K-20 and then in the Optio. It formatted and worked normally in both of these cameras. I will call Costco on this.

So whats

The memory card slot is tight but no problem if you do not chew your nails to the quick.

The camera surface does feel a little different, but cheap no.

Big pluses.

The big view finder. WOW!

It comes easy to my hands.

Controls. Instinctive and easy to navigate.

Noise-what noise. On a good day with the right background, I could boost the ISO on my K20 to 400 and get good pictures. Just goofing off with the K30 I got excellant results at 3200.
08-05-2012, 09:54 AM   #51
Forum Member

Hey Singinman
I see that I am NOT the only one with a bad Kingston SD card. Mine was the same. DOA.
But I also had another more serious issue with the USB connection to the PC.
Check my other post about the issue I was having NOT being able to read the SD card's files thru the USB cable connection..
08-05-2012, 11:40 AM   #52
Forum Member

Lens and card

Bern, I just talked to Costco. First to the Concierge person who then conferenced in a rep from Costco.com. Both agreed that they needed to do something about the card issue. It could be a glitch in the camera firmware or the Kingston card. My guess would be the card. Back when I was in the computer business we had occasional problems with particular brands of memory, and I think Kingston was one of the brands.

On the lens issue, I gave them the background on the two lenses and just asked that my name be put in the pot if any compensation is offered to those who ordered early in the game.

I am supposed to hear back from Costco within 48hrs.
08-05-2012, 11:51 AM   #53
Forum Member

I'm positive that I can't get the WR lens that was originally shown with this package, but who knows.
What date did you originally order/buy the K30 package?
As far as the SD card issues, you would think that after all this time, the SD card makers and electronics makers would have come to some sort of common specification so that incompatibilities would no longer be an issue.

Regards
Bernd

08-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #54
Forum Member

Ordered

I ordered my package at 3:30AM on the 30th of July.
08-06-2012, 06:01 PM   #55

QuoteOriginally posted by Singinman Quote
Bern, I just talked to Costco. First to the Concierge person who then conferenced in a rep from Costco.com. Both agreed that they needed to do something about the card issue. It could be a glitch in the camera firmware or the Kingston card. My guess would be the card. Back when I was in the computer business we had occasional problems with particular brands of memory, and I think Kingston was one of the brands.

On the lens issue, I gave them the background on the two lenses and just asked that my name be put in the pot if any compensation is offered to those who ordered early in the game.

I am supposed to hear back from Costco within 48hrs.
Don't expect much. I got an email from Costco support today and they offered me $25. I replied back in the email with a very stern and pressing reply stating that that was quite unacceptable for the amount of trouble I've gone through to order the camera from them and return my previous camera. I'm still waiting to see what finally happens, hopefully by tomorrow.
08-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #56
Forum Member

I just got my replacement combo package from Costco, and wouldn't you know it....this Kingston card is also bad. WOW. Unbelievable. But at least the K30 is talking to the PC via the USB.
08-08-2012, 02:22 PM   #57
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BerndM Quote
I just got my replacement combo package from Costco, and wouldn't you know it....this Kingston card is also bad. WOW. Unbelievable. But at least the K30 is talking to the PC via the USB.
Glad the camera is working.
08-09-2012, 09:04 AM   #58

Ok finally got things settled. Not happy with their offer since it was a big difference not having the WR lens, and I even offered to send back the bundled camera and memory card if that would work, but they still only offered me $25 or to return the bundle for a full refund. Still the best K-30 deal but ridiculous offer for a misprint on a $900+ camera.
08-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #59

I think it is quite unwise on their part (either from Pentax or Costco) to offer the kit with a non-wr lens as the ONLY choice to buy this camera.
Many other places at least offer the WR lens kit as a choice, if not with the colored bodies.
This is going to be resulting in another bad rep to Pentax for new customer not familiar to the brand.
08-09-2012, 11:49 AM   #60
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1. It really doesn't make any sense to combine the camera with a non-WR lens when WR version of the lens is available. K-30 + 18-135mm WR is a perfect combo, but it's over four digits right now...