Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-30-2012, 09:22 AM   #16
Veteran Member

I can't believe this cam is being touted as being weatherproof yet sells with the L version lenses. Boneheads!

07-30-2012, 10:12 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by mspoon Quote
I also hope the advertised lens is not a mistake, but looking at the picture that's on Costco's site, the lens shown is the non-WR version. It could just be a stock photo, but my gut tells me the description is the one that's wrong. :-(

As for warranty, this is what it says under the Shipping and Terms tab:

Manufacturer's warranty service is available on all electronics products. See manufacturer's warranty for specific coverage terms.

Again, sounds like some generic verbiage, but I'm fairly sure Costco works with each manufacturer when bringing out bundles like this. My understanding is that sometimes, manufacturers make "special editions" of their merchandise to be sold specifically at Costco. So if that's true here, Pentax and Costco should be in step with each other in offering this.
Getting the DA18-55WR in the bundle is a big reason why I placed the order. If it is indeed the DAL version, then it's going back and it's a sign that I should just patiently wait for a D800.
07-30-2012, 10:24 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
but photo show DAL
Yes, I also saw the DAL in the photo. That only reinforced my belief that they made a mistake in saying it is a WR lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by mspoon Quote
I also hope the advertised lens is not a mistake, but looking at the picture that's on Costco's site, the lens shown is the non-WR version. It could just be a stock photo, but my gut tells me the description is the one that's wrong. :-(
Everything you wrote there is what I also thought.

It does seem hard to believe that Pentax wouldn't count Costco as an authorized dealer when it comes to our qualifying for a warranty.

QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
I can't believe this cam is being touted as being weatherproof yet sells with the L version lenses. Boneheads!
I've been saying the same thing since day one; however, you and I seem to be in the minority (at least among those who have commented here on this issue).

Last edited by Welfl; 07-30-2012 at 10:29 AM.
07-30-2012, 10:28 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by leeak Quote
Getting the DA18-55WR in the bundle is a big reason why I placed the order.
I was afraid you were going to say that, since you added bold emphasis to the 18-55 WR lens in your comment. That's the main reason I want to be wrong in this case.

07-30-2012, 10:55 AM   #20

Since my last post, I checked out the Costco site some more because I really want to know if I am getting a DAL or WR version and came across this:

According to this image this bundle is including the 18-55WR. I hope the image is correct otherwise Costco will be getting a lot of water damaged K30 returns.
07-30-2012, 11:38 AM   #21

Photos: Gallery
In the specifications on Costco site, it says "Lens Specifications: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Weather-Resistant Lens" I don't think they would say that and not provide the WR lens...that would be asking for trouble, and Costco is great about providing as advertised.
07-30-2012, 12:10 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy97 Quote
Yeah, if they made a good deal on it with the DA 18-135WR, I'd be there. That's a nice, weather-resistant walkaround combo.

07-30-2012, 02:41 PM   #23

According to this image this bundle is including the 18-55WR. I hope the image is correct
Well, leeak, it appears that you will be, by default, our Costco/Pentax K-30 "beta tester." Good luck and please be sure to let us know what you get!

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Yeah, if they made a good deal on it with the DA 18-135WR, I'd be there
This would be my preference too.
07-30-2012, 03:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The buyer at Costco are not Camera geek . If the write WR in the ads for the lenses , I am sure it's the WR. Probably the buyer do not know what WR or DAL mean
07-30-2012, 04:31 PM   #25
Pentaxian

According to this image this bundle is including the 18-55WR. I hope the image is correct otherwise Costco will be getting a lot of water damaged K30 returns.
That picture unquestionably shows the DA-L (non-WR) lens. Since you linked it directly from costco.com, I think someone must have pulled a switcheroo on the server.
07-30-2012, 04:53 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Quicksand Quote
That picture unquestionably shows the DA-L (non-WR) lens. Since you linked it directly from costco.com, I think someone must have pulled a switcheroo on the server.
Yes, you correct that the lens in the pictures is of a K30 with a DAL18-55 but at the bottom right of the pictures states "18-55mm WR". I guess we will find out in a few days. I'll keep you all posted.
07-30-2012, 05:05 PM   #27

I have a white K-30 sitting 6 inches from me with a 2 year extended warranty from Adorama that I ordered literally a week before this add came out. The camera is fantastic and a huge upgrade over my K-x. I've now ordered the Costco Kit that should come in a week or so and will let you know if it is the WR lens. There were2-3 places where WR is mentioned. Even if not so, I can always sell the other accessories and camera for $200 and still pay $125 less then what I got it for ( $75 less then normal because of the taxes paid ).
07-31-2012, 12:04 PM - 1 Like   #28

I contacted Costco customer service yesterday about the lens and got this reply:

Thank you for your e-mail to Costco Wholesale. The product details are what to go by, the vendor did not have the photo of the product redone just for us.
Lens Specifications: 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 Weather-Resistant Lens

Thank you,

Elizabeth
Costco Wholesale Corporation
Hope that helps.

Rodger
07-31-2012, 05:38 PM   #29

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just went back to the Costco ad and it looks like they changed the notation on the lens from what they had on it last night. Rather than listing the WR lens as being included they now have this notation by the lens:

(standard K-30 kit lens, weather-resistant lens not included)

leeak, last night they had the details you posted earlier with the list of what is included and they definitely had the WR lens listed, but it looks like they have corrected it sometime today.
07-31-2012, 06:02 PM   #30

Photos: Gallery
Still a pretty good deal when you consider the price of the extras . I own the same sling bag and I love it , plus you get the point and shoot camera and a cheap memory card . Not bad !