Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 06:11 PM   #31

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Still a pretty good deal when you consider the price of the extras . I own the same sling bag and I love it , plus you get the point and shoot camera and a cheap memory card . Not bad !

Yes, I think so too. And I was kinda wondering last night if that was an error on the list of included items. It's a screaming deal even without the WR lens.

07-31-2012, 06:32 PM   #32

Well if anyone needs it please ping me as I still have the original listing shown where it includes the WR lens in the description saved as a PDF. I'll be calling costco once I receive the camera to make a complaint. It's a great deal, but I was really hoping for the WR lens more then anything else. We'll see what they can do and I hear Costco's pretty good about customer service for mistakes.
07-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Well if anyone needs it please ping me as I still have the original listing shown where it includes the WR lens in the description saved as a PDF. I'll be calling costco once I receive the camera to make a complaint. It's a great deal, but I was really hoping for the WR lens more then anything else. We'll see what they can do and I hear Costco's pretty good about customer service for mistakes.
I'll bet when you get that package, you're gonna wanna open it.
07-31-2012, 07:02 PM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by Drom Quote
I'll bet when you get that package, you're gonna wanna open it.
Haha no need to. I have a white K-30 right next to me. I've had one for about a week now and I love the camera. Just was annoyed a week later this package came out with the WR lens. In any case, we'll see what happens. I can always just return the one I have and keep the costco one but since it was their mistake, why not see what they'll do?

07-31-2012, 07:08 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by knightzerox Quote
Haha no need to. I have a white K-30 right next to me. I've had one for about a week now and I love the camera. Just was annoyed a week later this package came out with the WR lens. In any case, we'll see what happens. I can always just return the one I have and keep the costco one but since it was their mistake, why not see what they'll do?
Oh, I see. Well, I'm sure they will do right by you. Costco is great.

If it were me, I would run out the front door, snatch the package out of the Fed Ex delivery guy's hands and make a mad dash back in the the house where I would immediately set about feverishly ripping the package open. I'd pause, only for a moment to wipe all the drool off the weather resistant body, and then I would unite it with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 in holy matrimony.
for no man to put asunder..

Last edited by Drom; 07-31-2012 at 07:18 PM.
07-31-2012, 07:40 PM   #36

Oh, I see. Well, I'm sure they will do right by you. Costco is great.

If it were me, I would run out the front door, snatch the package out of the Fed Ex delivery guy's hands and make a mad dash back in the the house where I would immediately set about feverishly ripping the package open. I'd pause, only for a moment to wipe all the drool off the weather resistant body, and then I would unite it with my Tamron 70-200mm 2.8 in holy matrimony.
for no man to put asunder..
Ah, you mention something really interesting. Tell me more about your Tamron 70-200 2.8? I was debating buying it today haha. I have many lenses, but I'm doing paid work now and for events/weddings it would be nice to use a zoom versus switching between all my primes and other zooms. I'll be using two bodies, the K-x and the K-30 ( or if Adorama won't let me return it then two K-30's haha ). Do you have the Tamron or Sigma 17*50 2.8 I think as well? Any comparison to the Sigma and DA* comparable lens? I really want weather sealing I think just to say I have it, but I'm very unsure about SDM issues as well as Pentax releasing new high-end lenses with the DC motor found in the 18-135 WR Lens. I like fast glass and always felt 2.8 was kind of slow.

Forgot to mention, here are all my current lenses:

Pentax DA 55-300 mm
Pentax DAL 18-55
Pentax 35mm 2.4
Pentax FA 50mm 1.4

3 x Pentax SMC M 50mm 2

Sigma 10-20mm 3.5

Samyang 8mm 3.5 Fisheye
Samyang 85mm 1.4

Takumar Bayonet 135mm 2.5
Vivitar 75-205mm 3.8 Macro
07-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #37

well, you know that lens cured me of LBA. That focal length is great and I really like using the zoom, but I am mainly shooting equestrian events so the zoom is really useful.
The lens is just super sharp.
Recently I was hired as a second shooter for an Equestrian photographer who was the OP for regional show and the lens performed really well-she was very pleased with the images. One thing that was a small problem for me was the noise. And really that is only because of nervous horses and riders. And only a couple of them. They were a little distracted by the sound. That combined with the shutter on the K-r made me a little a noisier than I would like to be.
So the thing I hear people complain about with the Tamron lens is the AF being a little slow and noisy. The AF is plenty fast for me, but it is audible.
I don't have the other lenses you mention. I think the Tamron lens would be a great choice for Weddings. The focal length would be nice for a lot of the photos. And when I adjust the DOF I get some nice bokeh with it. You certainly can't beat the price on it.

07-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #38

well, you know that lens cured me of LBA. That focal length is great and I really like using the zoom, but I am mainly shooting equestrian events so the zoom is really useful.
The lens is just super sharp.
Recently I was hired as a second shooter for an Equestrian photographer who was the OP for regional show and the lens performed really well-she was very pleased with the images. One thing that was a small problem for me was the noise. And really that is only because of nervous horses and riders. And only a couple of them. They were a little distracted by the sound. That combined with the shutter on the K-r made me a little a noisier than I would like to be.
So the thing I hear people complain about with the Tamron lens is the AF being a little slow and noisy. The AF is plenty fast for me, but it is audible.
I don't have the other lenses you mention. I think the Tamron lens would be a great choice for Weddings. The focal length would be nice for a lot of the photos. And when I adjust the DOF I get some nice bokeh with it. You certainly can't beat the price on it.

Hmmm ok thank you for your reply. I have a 70-200 Vivitar lens that I picked up for $15. The aperture ring is half broken, it's always stuck at f3.8 without me manually pushing the blade open which is usually fine for me ha. Lens is actually really good but it's manual only. I can't really feel safe using a manual lens at a wedding, just feel it might take to long to get certain shots although as far as I can tell the lens does a great job.

I guess I'll just "wait" until PhotoKina and see what is announced. All my lenses are FF compatible except for the 55-300mm I think and the Sigma 10-20 ( but I can zoom to get rid of vignetting ). I think I've gone backwards and gone the Prime route versus the Zoom only route. Both have their purposes. Primes for excellent image quality and Zooms for convenience and when lens changing isn't an option. I love my primes though haha.
08-01-2012, 05:25 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Now that confusing
Buyer confirm this is the WR ,
Bottom description is change but description in photo still show 18-55 WR.
I believe Costco is in deep sh**
08-01-2012, 05:40 AM   #40
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Now that confusing
Buyer confirm this is the WR ,
Bottom description is change but description in photo still show 18-55 WR.
I believe Costco is in deep sh**
Like getting sued for telling the consumer that they are getting a WR camera and a WR lens and then the consumer takes the combo out in the rain for a once in a lifetime opportunity and it gets ruined?

The problem is that the backlash is more likely to hit Pentax than Costco. I can just hear it "That Pentax Sh*t just isn't Nikon! What did you expect!?" If I were Pentax I'd bite the bullet and provide the WR lenses for that kit.
08-01-2012, 07:02 AM   #41
Inactive Account

Description updated.

Costco.com has already updated the description and pictures:

18-55mm Lens (standard K-30 kit lens, weather-resistant lens not included)

Still a good deal? I'll just wait...

Last edited by ULong; 08-01-2012 at 07:18 AM. Reason: add some words
08-01-2012, 01:30 PM   #42
Forum Member

Here is what the Costco package includes (copied directly from their website)

K-30 DSLR What’s Included:
Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed DSLR Camera Body
18-55mm Lens (standard K-30 kit lens, weather-resistant lens not included)
Pentax Sling Bag
8GB SDHC Memory Card
Li-Ion Battery
Battery Charger Kit
USB Cable
Strap
Hotshoe Cover
Eyecup
Body Mount Cover
Finder Cap
Focusing Screen
Software CD-ROM
Bonus Item
Pentax WG-1 Waterproof Digital Camera***
08-01-2012, 01:38 PM   #43
Forum Member

I've taken a number of cameras, both film and digital out in the rain with no problems.
I simply take a 1 mil clear plastic bag, like the kind at the grocery store you put fruit in, and insert the entire camera in the bag and seal it up really well.
You then screw a 1A or clear glass filter to the lens with the plastic under the threads. A bit snug but no problem.
Then I simply remove the plastic covering the filter's glass.
PRESTO, a weatherproof camera.
I even tried this once about 6 feet UNDER water and it worked fine.
Can't see thru the viewfinder all that well, but for a must have shot, it works.
08-02-2012, 08:00 AM   #44

Photos: Gallery
Does anybody know if there will be a kit with the White body and the 18-135 WR? I really dig the white body, but want the 18-135 WR at a discount! Where there different kits for the past K-x and K-r colors?
08-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #45
Veteran Member

Costco normaly dont carry multiple choice . Chance are will say non existent for want you want