Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2012, 10:46 AM   #31
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Thushar Quote
Hi, Planning to buy a K30 body from Pentaxwebstore.They are selling it as unboxed. What does that mean? Doesnt it come with the original Pentax box and warranty.For some items it is "unboxed" and for others nothing specific info is given.Please enlighten
Unboxed means the camera will just come in something like bubblewrap. I'd suggest getting the camera elsewhere, as it's cheaper and it'll be shipped faster. Right now, Amazon has the best prices:
Amazon.com: Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR with 18-55mm Lens (Blue): PENTAX: Camera & Photo

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-05-2012, 02:23 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
I bought the K-30 body from Pentax Singapore and has arrived 2 days ago...
Mine came with the original box~ Although I purchased the 'unboxed' k-30 version...~

For 850SGD (equivalent to 684USD) with FREE shipping all over the world (mine was sent with FEDEX)... Amazon's deal pale in comparison...

See for yourselves:

Amazon's deal (body) for - 839.95USD excluding shipping cost: Amazon.com: Pentax K-30 Weather-Sealed 16 MP CMOS Digital SLR (Black, Body Only): Electronics

Pentax Singapore's deal (unboxed-body) for - 684USD with shipping cost: K-30 Body Kit Black (unboxed)

Customers will invariably choose the best deal of the lot~

Last edited by Cybersetan; 08-05-2012 at 11:22 PM.
08-07-2012, 05:48 PM   #33

Update , my K-30 arrived on Monday 08/06/12 via Fedex well packaged and undamaged .With the current price increase from Singapore there is no reason to order outside the US . Took the K-30 and 18-135 out for a test run today and was very impressed with the quality of the camera and the images . I dont find the memory card or usb door to be difficult considering it is a WEATHER PROOF camera ! Pushed the auto focus in a few situations and it is head and shoulders above my K2000 . Very quiet and quick lens , so far very impressed . I do need to work it some more and read up on all the features . Going on vacation to Cape Cod next week so I will run it througt the ringer and see how it pans out .
08-08-2012, 07:58 AM   #34

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
@Cybersetan & @jeffw: I envy you. I wish I'd bought one before the price hike......

08-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
@Cybersetan & @jeffw: I envy you. I wish I'd bought one before the price hike......
I kind of had a feeling that the price was too good to last, so that's why I ordered when I did. I usually try to buy all of my photography equipment for a lower price than I can sell it for, so that gives me a kind of insurance in case I decide I don't want to keep something. With lenses that's easy to do, but with bodies it's much harder since they are constantly depreciating. With the great price I got on the K-30, I should still be able to sell it for at least what I paid for quite a while still. But at this point, I'm liking the camera so much that I figure I'll keep it a good long time.

I wonder if somebody could call Pentax Singapore and negotiate a price lower than they have listed, something closer to the old price? Maybe they were told they cannot list it so low, but maybe there's nothing stopping them from selling it for a lower price, assuming their wholesale costs did not increase. If I had missed out on the deal, I would certainly try picking up the phone.
08-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dachiko Quote
By the way, Pentax Singapore had answered me (fast, as always), and im not sure i can publish the qoute, but it looks like drivingback are right about evil guys from Japan.
They appear to have also removed the other colour variations as well at the same time, so I assume that's no coincidence and they revert to being only available in Japan again.
08-08-2012, 04:36 PM   #37

Even after the price hike (now stands at 850SGD) - it still beats the hell out of Amazon's/B&H/Adorama's prices~
Mind you, that 850SGD is about 684USD for the K-30 body~

It comes with FREE shipping as well~

Lets take for example, the Pentax 18-135mm~ Compare the prices below:

Pentax Singapore's price as of this post is - 480SGD = 385USD~! (with shipping)

versus

Amazon's price = 464USD (minus shipping cost) : Amazon.com: Pentax 21977 DA 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 ED AL (IF) DC WR Lens for Pentax Digital SLR cameras: Camera & Photo

Adorama's price = 529USD (Free shipping) : Pentax SMCP-DA 18mm-135mm f/3.5-5.6 AL (IF) DC WR AF Lens #21977 21977

To simplify:

Pentax Singapore : 385USD (Free shipping)
Amazon's : 464USD (Minus shipping cost)
Adorama's : 529USD (Free shipping)

Still damn good deal I say~!

Last edited by Cybersetan; 08-08-2012 at 04:46 PM.
08-08-2012, 06:13 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Cybersetan Quote
Even after the price hike (now stands at 850SGD) - it still beats the hell out of Amazon's/B&H/Adorama's prices~
Mind you, that 850SGD is about 684USD for the K-30 body~
You're comparing an open box K-30 on the Singapore site with new K-30's on Amazon, so it's not exactly apples to apples. If you're looking at new cameras, the K-30 w/18-135mm is $1275 US (SGD$1,588.00), and on Amazon the same kit is $1195, both with free shipping. But with the Amazon K-30, you would qualify for the extra 2-year extended warranty for another $20.
08-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #39

I agree with Adam if you are buying the kit with the 18-135 ,local prices are comparable . Buying unboxed bodies just worries me and if you do try to resell your camera buyers like when you have all the original packaging . I still have the box and instructions for my mid 80s LX and winder ! Just my opinion . I save everything with my camera purchases .
08-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #40

I live in India at the moment and I got free shipping from pentax singapore for my K-30 body (unboxed version)~

You have to consider that not all users here live in US. Amazon's free shipping doesn't apply for orders from outside US.

This cost must be taken into account~

The fine print for Amazon's free shipping states:

"Applies to U.S. delivery addresses in the 50 states only, including Alaska and Hawaii. Geographic shipping restrictions may apply to particular products; for example, some Tools & Hardware items may not be shipped to Alaska and Hawaii using FREE Super Saver Shipping."

I had previously ordered a used 18-55mm WR from B&H, the shipping cost alone from US to India with UPS super saver was already 65USD~

The example I gave above for (the unboxed 18-135mm lens) was apparantly taken out from a K-30 w/ 18-135mm kit. Both the K-30 body and the lens from this kit are sold seperately as unboxed and hence sold cheaper compared to standard body only or lens only set...~

With such great bargain, 1 year warranty, plus the Free shipping worldwide~
It is obviously a better deal than either Amazon's, B&H's or Adorama~

... my K-30 came with the [K-30 w/ 18-135mm] box - without the 18-135mm lens of course~
08-15-2012, 11:04 PM   #41

My story with the buying from Singapore has ended today saddly. FeedEx has very outdated info about Russian customs fees. More than two year ago the duty free parcel value limit has been raised from 200 euro to 1000 euro. FeedEx refused to send package due its value more than 200 euro. Even the "cancel" status has been set a week ago, i still doesnt receive refund. Oh man, living in Russia is always a pain, especialy with Putin. Sorry for my "farting"
08-16-2012, 06:19 AM   #42

Hi Cybersetan,
I am also from India..Jst some queries regarding your k30 purchase...Did all the contents reach you in a pentax box? Does it have a warranty card? Didt you pay any extra money when u received the product..(i mean customs duty). How many days it took to reach you after ordering? was it packaged securely?
08-16-2012, 07:30 AM   #43

Pity about your camera and a pity about Putin.
Pentax Singapore do not respond to any information requests from me about warranty.
08-16-2012, 07:40 AM   #44
Veteran Member

I feel bad about the situation with your camera. I also suffered waiting for my K-30 from Singapore and worrying about FedEx, but at least I had a happy ending. Did you pay with a credit card? If so, it might be a good idea to call the credit card company and let them know that you're having trouble getting the transaction fulfilled and see if they'll reverse the charges.

As far as Putin, it pains me to see how he is taking your society in reverse. I lived in eastern Europe for a couple years in the late 90's (Bulgaria), and it was a beautiful thing to see how happy the people still were to be out from under the authoritarian boot of communism. It looks like Putin wants to go back to his glory days.
08-16-2012, 05:34 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Unboxed means the camera will just come in something like bubblewrap.
This is absolutely not true at all. The camera does come in the original box and the original packaging is intact complete with the manuals.

Last edited by creampuff; 08-16-2012 at 05:39 PM.