Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Purchasing K30 from Pentax Singapore

Hi All,

Do anybody have the experience of purchasing bodies, lens etc from Pentax Singapore's web store? Right now, they have the K30+18-135 for SGD$1,252, which is about USD$990. It's a deal compared to B&H (USD$1,299). I know nothing about customs and warranty. How much $$ does customs charge for getting it to the US from there? And what about warranty? Do they provide international warranty honored by Pentax USA? Any ideas or experience is appreciated.

Andy

-- Edit 8/17: The prices have increased weeks ago, almost similar to US market.

Last edited by aseno; 08-17-2012 at 05:44 AM. Reason: Update on price
07-25-2012, 03:37 PM   #2

Original Poster
Link to Pentax Singapore webstore
07-25-2012, 03:44 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
To my knowledge, correct me if I am wrong. But there is something called a "United States to Singapore Free Trade Agreement". That disallows any customs fees when purchasing items from Singapore to the United States or from the United States to Singapore. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Singapore%E2%80%93United_States_Free_Trade_Agreement As far as warranty goes, reading from another thread about the same K-30 being cheaper in Singapore due to currency differences; The K-30 will still be under warranty if bought from Singapore but the item will not be repaired here in the US but will need to be shipped over to Singapore for repairs there. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/193133-k-30-676usd-da18-135wr-334usd.html

Last edited by LeDave; 07-25-2012 at 03:53 PM.
07-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aseno, I don't want to take over your question- but does anyone know if the camera purchased from Singapore qualifies for the $20 extended 2 year warranty that you can buy in the US? (I'm guessing not...)

07-25-2012, 04:01 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Searching through the Pentax Singapore webstore, extended warranty is nowhere to be seen.

Extended Warranty Statement
1. The extended limited warranty is registered with PENTAX Imaging Company. It is not refundable or transferable and is only valid if received at the same time as the purchase of a new PENTAX Camera, which is covered by a PENTAX New Product One-Year Limited Warranty. This extended warranty applies only to the PENTAX Cameras distributed solely by the U.S. distributor, PENTAX Imaging Company, 633 17th Street, Suite 2600 Denver, Colorado 80202 and purchased from a PENTAX authorized dealer. http://www.pentaximaging.com/support/#!warranty-information

I would personally buy it here in the US, the few hundred you save from buying from Singapore will surely be the same in terms of "what you're getting", as in with 20 dollars more from the K-30 here, you'll get 2 year extended warranty which can save those hundreds in the long run. It will also be more time consuming if you have to send in your K-30 you bought from Singapore to Singapore to get it repaired.

Last edited by LeDave; 07-25-2012 at 04:07 PM.
07-25-2012, 04:06 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Actually, I emailed Pentax about the warranty if you buy from Singapore. Randall S. responded with the following:
PENTAX US would honor the standard one year warranty on a K-30 purchased outside of the US if the camera is purchased new, from a dealer, and you could provide a dated proof of purchase document. PENTAX extended warranties must be purchased in the country where the camera is purchased. An extended warranty on a camera purchased outside of the US is not valid in the US.
07-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I have searched Pentax Singapore Extended Warranty and there is no extended warranty anywhere to be seen from Google.com I don't think there is an Pentax manufacturer extended warranty but inside the US... Oh and not to forget the standard 2 year Pentax warranty for Canadians. (Damn them lucky freezer people with their 2 year warranty on SDM lenses!)

07-25-2012, 04:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

No, there is no extended warranty from Pentax Singapore. However, Pentax US will honor the 1 yr warranty even if you buy from Singapore. You DO NOT need to mail the camera back to Singapore during that time period should you need warranty work. Just make sure you keep proof of purchase.

The way I see it, you save so much money buying from Singapore that it makes no sense to fret over the extended warranty. After all, if I have to spend $200 extra buying from the US just so I can get the extended warranty, then that's a lot to pay for an extended warranty. I don't mind paying $20, but not $200!
07-25-2012, 05:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

This has already been discussed this week in another 2 threads quite a bit. The answer is that to the US there is no import duty on the SLR. That Pentax USA honors the 1 year warranty but the extended offered in the US is not available. Pentax Singapore has sent items out quickly, incredibly well packaged, and for a very descent price.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-price-watch/193133-k-30-676usd-da18-135wr-334usd.html

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-30/192055-k-30-ebay-already-wow-...ml#post2036943
07-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #10

Original Poster
@Docrwm, sorry if the question is redundant. I missed that thread.

Interesting inputs, everyone. I guess we can't have it all right? Buy less, but can't get extended warranty. But I agree with loco, saving $200 is worth not getting the extended warranty. In the perspective of Pentax Singapore's, that extended warranty is worth $220!
07-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by aseno Quote
@Docrwm, sorry if the question is redundant. I missed that thread.

Interesting inputs, everyone. I guess we can't have it all right? Buy less, but can't get extended warranty. But I agree with loco, saving $200 is worth not getting the extended warranty. In the perspective of Pentax Singapore's, that extended warranty is worth $220!
No problem, I just wanted you to access the information that is already out there because there is a lot - and most of it is good IMHO.
07-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #12
Closed Account

Recommend linking up with Pentax Singapore Facebook Page. They are always updating their info on Facebook and as Docrwm already stated is free shipping door to door.
07-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #13
Veteran Member

There were questions back and forth about warranty on items purchased abroad being honored in the US. I was on the CRIS website, which is much easier to navigate than the Pentax USA site, and found this:

International Warranty Card
New PENTAX products do not automatically come with an international warranty that covers all PENTAX products around the world. However, it is possible to obtain an International Warranty Card through PENTAX Imaging Company after you have purchased a PENTAX product. If you bought your PENTAX product in the United States and are traveling to a foreign country for an extended period of time, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are abroad. We will also send you a list of authorized service centers around the world.

To obtain an International Warranty Card, please send the below-listed items to PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, CO 80401:
A copy of your dated proof of purchase, with the name and address of the U.S. dealer.
The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).

If you bought your PENTAX product in another country, and you are planning to visit the United States, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are within the United States. You will need to send us the following items:
1. A copy of your dated proof of purchase.
2. The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).
We will fill out an International Warranty Card and mail it to you. The time period and product coverage provided by the International Warranty Card is the same as the standard PENTAX Limited Warranty (as specified above).
07-28-2012, 07:06 PM   #14

Just ordered a K30 with a 18-135wr and a battery holder from Pentax Singapore . Converted to 1031.00 USD so I saved about 210.00 USD. Will post shipping time when it arrives , Thanks for all the K30 and K5 info but decided to take the plunge for the K30 .
07-28-2012, 07:27 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffw Quote
Just ordered a K30 with a 18-135wr and a battery holder from Pentax Singapore
Cool! Let us know how it goes with FedEx and any extra fees.