Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Is anyone editing videos with the K-30 yet ?

Every consumer level video program that I have tried is having issues with the video files output by the the K-30.
This includes PowerDirector 9 & 10, Corel Video Studio X4, Pinnacle Studio 15 .

In these programs, the K-30 files play at about 2fps and use about 80% of the CPU inside all the editing programs I tried. The files from my Canon HG21 and T3i all play file in realtime and low CPU usage.

When I use Windows Media Player, the K-30 files play fine, at low CPU.

It's very hard to do any editing - even very basic stuff like trim footage - when you can't play even one second of video at normal speed. And I have more complicated needs - synchronizing the footage of 3 cameras.

If it was just one editing program having issues, I would say it was likely a software bug. However, 3 programs by different companies having the same problems seems like too much of a coincidence. I don't have any pricey professional Adobe video editing software to try. I have already paid for all these other programs and mostly use PowerDirector.

The only workaround I found was to use create a project to re-render the files to a new file. It renders awfully slowly, like 0.6x only. Last night I had 1 hour of footage to edit and had to start a 1.5 conversion task . I just went to sleep because I could not proceed with any editing.

If you have edited video from the K-30, what program have you used successfully with it ?

07-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #2

I had an old copy of Sony Vegas (I think 6 or 7) on my PC that I used extensively several years ago for video editing. However, I just restaged my PC and upgraded from XP to Windows 7 (hence entering the 21st century) and I haven't had a chance to reinstall Vegas, or even check if it would work on Win7. I'll try to get time to install it this weekend and if I do, I'll throw some K-30 clips at it to see how it goes.
07-28-2012, 11:57 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Sounds a bit like all your editing programs are using the same H.264 codec. Perhaps MediaInfo can help........ MediaInfo
07-28-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I have been extensively using a trial version of premiere pro for my recent video projects, and I haven't really faced any issues.

For reference, my videos are all shot in 1080p at 30fps with over two hours of footage. I have done video work on both a desktop iMac (i5 2.8GHz, 16 GB ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770M) and a PC laptop ( i7 2.7 GHz, 8 GB ram, intel graphics 3000). Working with the video on the iMac is a lot smoother than the laptop because of the dedicated GPU, but I am still okay using my laptop for video work.

With Adobe Premiere (and with Vegas), I have the preview rendering down to 1/4 of the actual quality, and this allows for faster and smoother video playback. This is especially helpful for split screen work with two different feeds.

07-28-2012, 10:42 PM   #5

Okay, so I was able to (mostly) install my copy of Vegas 7. There was an incompatibility error for the SQL stuff needed for the media manager, but the application itself seemed to install. However, even after installing Quicktime, I couldn't get Vegas to read any .mov files. So that was a bust. However, I then brought up my K-30 video clips in the free Windows Live Movie Maker application and was able to split, trim, crossfade, and save video files with no apparent problem -- all the video played smoothly while previewed in Movie Maker, and the edited video I saved out was also fine.
07-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #6

One more update: I got my copy of Vegas to play nicely with the Quicktime codec, so I can read the .mov files now. The on-the-fly previews are choppy, even on the lowest quality, quarter-size previews. But I'm fairly sure I can attribute that to my six-year-old computer system, which wasn't even state-of-the-art back then. Pre-rendered previews run smoothly, further evidence that it's my hardware, not the codec, that's causing my choppiness.
07-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #7

Playing around with my new K30. Edited down a quick 60 seconds worth of video shot over the last few days using Sony Vegas Pro 11. Mostly handheld stuff, a few Glidetrack shots

Last edited by stmba; 07-29-2012 at 10:46 PM.
07-30-2012, 02:51 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Worked straight out the box in Apple iMovie for Mac.

07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
Sounds a bit like all your editing programs are using the same H.264 codec. Perhaps MediaInfo can help........ MediaInfo
Thanks, it is possible. I will give it a try tonight.

But if that's the case, it's strange that the Windows media player would be using a different CODEC than all these editing programs.

Also, why would the other clips from my other cameras play just fine in all these programs ? It's only the clips from the K-30 that cause huge problems.

Last edited by madbrain; 07-30-2012 at 05:20 PM.
07-30-2012, 05:18 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UdonUdon Quote
I have been extensively using a trial version of premiere pro for my recent video projects, and I haven't really faced any issues.

For reference, my videos are all shot in 1080p at 30fps with over two hours of footage. I have done video work on both a desktop iMac (i5 2.8GHz, 16 GB ram, AMD Radeon HD 6770M) and a PC laptop ( i7 2.7 GHz, 8 GB ram, intel graphics 3000). Working with the video on the iMac is a lot smoother than the laptop because of the dedicated GPU, but I am still okay using my laptop for video work.

With Adobe Premiere (and with Vegas), I have the preview rendering down to 1/4 of the actual quality, and this allows for faster and smoother video playback. This is especially helpful for split screen work with two different feeds.
My hardware is as follows :

AMD FX-8120 CPU . This is an 8 core 3.1 GHz . Overclocked a bit (3.6 I think)
16GB RAM
Win 7 x64

2 x nVidia 9800 GT video cards with 512MB each
120 GB Corsair Force GT SATA 3 SSD
1.5TB SATA 3 HD
2TB SATA 2 HD

3 monitors - 2 x HP LP3065 at 2560x1600 . 1x Dell FHD2401 in portrait mode at 1200x1920 .

I don't have Adobe Premiere or any Adobe software at all to try.

Last edited by madbrain; 07-30-2012 at 05:30 PM.
07-30-2012, 05:25 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pheo Quote
Worked straight out the box in Apple iMovie for Mac.
Good to know, but this is not available on Windows for me to try.
07-30-2012, 05:28 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mspoon Quote
I had an old copy of Sony Vegas (I think 6 or 7) on my PC that I used extensively several years ago for video editing. However, I just restaged my PC and upgraded from XP to Windows 7 (hence entering the 21st century) and I haven't had a chance to reinstall Vegas, or even check if it would work on Win7. I'll try to get time to install it this weekend and if I do, I'll throw some K-30 clips at it to see how it goes.
I forgot that I have a copy of the latest Sony vegas, will try it also.
Gotta love Fry's and all their "competitive upgrade rebate" deals, this is how I got all these programs for basically just the cost of the California sales tax which the rebates don't cover.
I never saw any good deal on the Adobe programs, however.

My program of choice (the one I am the most familiar with) is PowerDirector. I just upgraded from PD9 to PD 10 last week. But the issues with the K-30 clips remain the same.
07-31-2012, 03:04 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmm, very strangely - and happily - this problem seems to be gone right now.
I tried with Vegas 11.0 at first and everything was fine.
Then again with PowerDirector 10 and it was fine too.
With the same footage that was giving me trouble before also.

I checked my installed programs & drivers and nothing of note has been installed recently. The newest program was a Flash update, and before that, was PowerDirector 10 itself on 7/26, the day I bought my upgrade.

The only other thing I can guess is that some Windows system update fixed it. But there, nothing again after 7/24 .

Very mysterious.