Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 08:11 AM   #1

K-30 stops responding

Has anyone experienced lock-ups with the K-30 while taking pictures? This has happened to me twice now. The first time, I was in the middle of composing a shot. I turned the rear e-dial to change my aperture and there was no response. Confused, I fiddled around with things a bit and then the camera stopped responding to any input. I couldn't even turn it off. I had to remove the battery to reset it.

The second time, I was reviewing a photo I'd just taken. I turned the rear e-dial to zoom in. Again, no response. At this point, I was still able to view other pictures, and go out and back into the review screen, but turning the e-dial to zoom didn't work. After a few seconds of reviewing other pictures and going in and out, everything locked up. Again, only removing the battery could bring the camera back.

The one thing I can think of that both incidents shared was that I was turning the rear e-dial when I started to notice the unresponsiveness. Not sure if that's a clue or just coincidence.

Last edited by mspoon; 07-26-2012 at 08:14 AM. Reason: various typos
07-26-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

try maybe resetting to factory settings, ensure the lens is attached properly, remove/replace the battery and play with it some more. all of these are unlikely to change much but worth a shot

I hate to say it but might be worthy of a return. it happens sometimes with new models (all brands, I had a bad Canon rebel and K-r)
07-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've seen a few reports on this - it might be a firmware issue. Have you raised the ticket with Pentax?
07-26-2012, 08:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deimos Quote
try maybe resetting to factory settings, ensure the lens is attached properly, remove/replace the battery and play with it some more. all of these are unlikely to change much but worth a shot

I hate to say it but might be worthy of a return. it happens sometimes with new models (all brands, I had a bad Canon rebel and K-r)
I can try a factory reset. The two times it happened were on different lenses, and I've removed the battery several times already, so those are unlikely the issue. Sigh... I guess a return/exchange might be the way to go.

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
I've seen a few reports on this - it might be a firmware issue. Have you raised the ticket with Pentax?
How does one raise a ticket with Pentax? Would I go through the normal "contact support" channel or is there a way to report a suspected bug directly to their development team? I ask only because I don't know enough to know if going the "contact support" route ensures the complaint actually gets to those responsible for the firmware.

07-26-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I do not know the correct answer to that - I would at the very least, try to contact Pentax support and raise the issue. I don't know how quickly Pentax releases firmwares updates.
07-26-2012, 08:57 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Yes give them a call maybe there is something you can do over the phone. 99% chance they will ask you to send it in, in which case return it for another copy. Maybe test one instore if you can
07-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I were you I would just wait for them to release the next firmware version, as I'm sure it'll address the issue if it's on their end. The only other common cause of frequent crashes is low battery voltage.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-26-2012, 09:18 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I seem to remember this complaint with the K5 and maybe K-r. Seems like firmware updates fix the problem. Hope so anyway, I have a K-30 ordered.

07-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #9
Site Supporter

My K-5 used to freeze intermittently and onl pulling out the battery and putting it back in could fix it.

Then with firmware update, the frequency decreased but the problem did not go away.

I finnaly sent it in to Pentax and they replaced some hardware-and it has not been a problem since. For some people firmware appears to have fixed it by itself. I could not give you any advice on what will work. I suspect that cameras are minicomputers nowadays and this is seen across brands.
07-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I've had my K-30 rear e-dial not respond to zooming on pictures once, but the camera didn't lock up and i just turned it off and back on again. Hopefully firmware solves it.
07-27-2012, 06:40 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for all the feedback, everyone. I'm really debating whether to exchange mine or wait for the first firmware update and if that doesn't fix it, send it in. Coupled with the shutter-firing quirkiness in video mode that Randall S. from Pentax confirms is not normal behavior, I may be leaning toward the exchange... especially since that will take less time than sending it in later on and being without it for a couple of weeks.
07-30-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Had both dials freeze up on me 3 times during a shoot yesterday. Had to pull the battery each time to reset.
I am going to sent it back to Amazon for an exchange.
I hope this is just a fluke with a small batch of cameras.
07-30-2012, 01:04 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Should waiy until the first firware update
07-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bobmaxja Quote
Should waiy until the first firware update
How would Pentax know to do the update if nobody brings the problem under their attention, by returning the cameras? If they already know about the problem, why didn't they fix it before selling the cameras?

I've decided to pass the K-5 because of the problems, and have set my eyes on the K-30, hanging back to see if any substantial problems develop, and sure enough, the problems are starting to appear. I'll let it go for another few months to give them more time to sort out all the problems. In the mean time I want to thank all the brave people who always want to be first in line to give the cameras a try!

Last edited by altopiet; 07-31-2012 at 07:32 AM.
07-31-2012, 02:12 AM   #15
tux
Forum Member

yeah my 10 day old k-30 has BSOD once....not good. I pulled the battery & it rebooted.