Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-30 arriving tomorrow and I'm nervous

My 3 Pentaxes were purchased after they were on the market for a while........this was out of character for me and I'm not sure it was the right move.

I am hoping for the best, of course, but may be overwhelmed with it and whether or not I am going to like it. The shutter sound on my K200D is great and so far no one has been able to convince me the K-30 will be similar.

Just being a Nervous Nellie because the pressure will be on to be able to understand the camera......

I got the battery adapter and the Adorama 2 year warranty for $20

07-26-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So unpack carefully and retain all packing materials, be careful not to tear anything or lose anything. Test the camera thoroughly, spend some time with it. If you don't like the way it sounds or feels, send it back. Most vendors have a reasonable return policy.

Other things you can learn, but if the sound bugs you or it just doesn't fit right there is no changing that. But if your only priority is what the shutter sounds like, well I don't know what to tell you. I think you will be blown away by the image quality but only you can decide if it fits your needs.
07-26-2012, 06:03 PM   #3
Site Supporter

I wouldn't worry too much. I had a chance to handle the K-30 while I was at B&H in New York today. Essentially, I liked it. The shutter sound didn't strike me one way or the other but I was in a noisy store. The version that was on display was the shiny blue model. I must say that particular finish tends to make the polycarbonate body seem even more plasticy than the same material covering my K200D. Nonetheless, the camera felt well built. I think you'll be pleased. I also have a K- 5 and it's only because of that I'm still torn over whether I should replace my K200D with the K-30. Enjoy your new camera.
07-26-2012, 06:04 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter

one thing that will help you enjoy the camera the most is to never read another review of it once you decide you like it.
Otherwise you may find yourself second guessing as the reviewer finds any flaw, real or imagined.
Just try it with an open mind and expect a little learning curve as with a)l high tech devices.
l love my k30 and am not looking back.

07-26-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'm like you, and didn't buy my last two DSLRs when they were brand new models. But the K-30 was just too hard to resist. Even at the introductory price it's a bargain compared to the competition.

I'm coming from a K-x, a camera that already has outstanding image quality, but the K-30 put a smile on my face when I was processing my first set of RAW images. The resolution bump is nice, but the headroom in the dynamic range is amazing. And the AF system definately operates with more authority than my K-x.

The shutter sound didn't impress me one way or the other, and despite all the talk on here, I didn't even think about it until later when I was reading the forum again. I went back and shot some pictures paying attention to it, and I think it is a bit quieter than my K-x. I think it's also more of a "click", whereas my K-x had more of a mechanical sound. But since I no longer have my K-x, back-to-back comparisons are not possible.
07-26-2012, 06:57 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Good luck and hope you like it so you don't have to go through returning hassle. I am sure you'll find it a bit overwhelming at first as this camera is quite a difference from the K200D in all ways.
07-26-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Congratualtions on the purchase... great choice.

Most of all enjoy yourself...... you will be fine and it will be easier than you thought.

Neil
07-26-2012, 08:37 PM   #8

I had the same worries when I ordered my K30. Once it came and I spent a few days shooting I am extremely happy I chose the K30. It is so easy to get the hang of. I've shot around seven hundred shots the first week (on vacation) and I don't have to think about what buttons do what or where they are anymore. You won't be sorry you chose it! The picture quality is outstanding with the right lenses.

07-27-2012, 12:36 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Camera arrived today, battery is charging. Very first thought after picking up the body only was how light and not substantial feeling as my K200D. I have yet to put a lens on it but that was my first thought.

Looking forward to playing with it and hope I will be happy. I am excited about Live View as my knees turned 65 yrs old yesterday and they don't get me in places they used to.

07-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #10

That was one of my first reactions also, but stick the battery in it, attach a nice zoom and it will feel just right. I carried mine 5 straight days This week while hiking on vacation, alternating mainly between an 18-200mm FA and a 15mm limited. It always felt plenty sturdy and I appreciated the lighter weight than my K10. I usually carried it attached to lightweight tripod, with the strap around my neck as a precaution against it somehow disconnecting from the tripod. I will be very interested to hear your impressions as you get to know the K30!
07-27-2012, 07:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Life to too short to worry about cameras. Enjoy it and don't baby it too much. You might miss some amazing images otherwise. The camera is just a tool for our art.