Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
ISO AUTO in M and the first impressions

In K-30 there is a surprising option in M, you can set ISO to AUTO but Green Button will not perform Stop Down metering with manual lenses.
After downloading the pdf manual I have discovered that:
"If the mode dial is set to M when the sensitivity is set to [ISO AUTO] , the camera operates in TAv mode."

Turning the LCD off is a bit fiddly, you can not just toggle INFO button like you could on Q, K-x,K-5&K-7, it requires few more steps.
Magnifying in Live View is again a bit confusing, all those matters could be easily fixed with firmware update.

Camera is well build but it feels much more like K-x/r than K-5/7, IMO the MENU button is too close to WB ( four-way controller) , I keep entering the MENU instead of selecting the options but I am pretty sure I will get use to it.
It should definitely be supplied with AA adaptor as a standard accessory.I had plenty Eneloops ready to go, I had to wait for hourd for the charger to charge the supplied rechargeable instead, before I could turn it on. My AA adaptor on the back order.
Nevertheless K-30 is an another example of excellent Pentax engineering indeed.

07-28-2012, 10:32 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
and a few photos with cat Lily and DA18-250

http://www.flickr.com/photos/itrax/sets/72157630797782022/detail/

Last edited by i_trax; 07-28-2012 at 10:38 PM. Reason: picture upload did not work
07-29-2012, 11:39 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I'm not sure it is a good or bad thing that it's possible to use auto-ISO i M-mode when there is TAv mode on K30.
And as exposure compensation is not available in M-mode, it is not as flexible as TAv-mode.

So I might be a little confusing.
12-11-2012, 11:00 PM   #4
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by i_trax Quote
In K-30 there is a surprising option in M, you can set ISO to AUTO but Green Button will not perform Stop Down metering with manual lenses.
After downloading the pdf manual I have discovered that:
"If the mode dial is set to M when the sensitivity is set to [ISO AUTO] , the camera operates in TAv mode."

Turning the LCD off is a bit fiddly, you can not just toggle INFO button like you could on Q, K-x,K-5&K-7, it requires few more steps.
Magnifying in Live View is again a bit confusing, all those matters could be easily fixed with firmware update.

Camera is well build but it feels much more like K-x/r than K-5/7, IMO the MENU button is too close to WB ( four-way controller) , I keep entering the MENU instead of selecting the options but I am pretty sure I will get use to it.
It should definitely be supplied with AA adaptor as a standard accessory.I had plenty Eneloops ready to go, I had to wait for hourd for the charger to charge the supplied rechargeable instead, before I could turn it on. My AA adaptor on the back order.
Nevertheless K-30 is an another example of excellent Pentax engineering indeed.
i_trax, I am having trouble getting a non A series manual Takumar to stop down. I was told if I turn off the auto iso that would allow the camera to down stop when the picture is taken. Trouble is that having done a fair amount of looking, I have not been able to find out how to turn off auto iso. Would be much obliged if you could provide the steps. Then, if I understanding correctly, when I take the picture the camera actually actuates the aperture to the f stop I have set the dial on the lens to?

12-11-2012, 11:15 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by rad291 Quote
i_trax, I am having trouble getting a non A series manual Takumar to stop down. I was told if I turn off the auto iso that would allow the camera to down stop when the picture is taken. Trouble is that having done a fair amount of looking, I have not been able to find out how to turn off auto iso. Would be much obliged if you could provide the steps. Then, if I understanding correctly, when I take the picture the camera actually actuates the aperture to the f stop I have set the dial on the lens to?
Auto ISO has nothing to do with stop-down metering AFAIK. Here are the steps you need to follow in order to get it to work:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/110658-using-ma...x-dslrs-f.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-12-2012, 03:53 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by rad291 Quote
Just select an ISO speed setting other than "Auto".

Screw mount lenses will not auto-stop down on any Pentax K-mount body. You have to manually stop them down. To do this the auto/man switch (if there is one) should be set to "Man". You can use this to pre-set your f-stop and then go wide open to focus/compose by switching it to "Auto". Metering and exposure should be done with the switch set to "Man".