Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2012, 09:38 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Here are some K30 raw files to play with. Good for 7days only

Hi all,

I'm mostly a reader here, this will be my 1st post if not the 2nd time I had to write. Click post preview and it forced to login again then everything vanished

I jsut got my K30 last night, and did a few test shots to make sure it works and get a general idea of the sensor vs the K7 I've been using. I thought I'd post links to a few should anyone want to play with in post. There are all raw(dng) files, shot handheld with zero intenional artist value. Just run of the mill test shots everyone takes with new gear.

This file was shot at ISO400 with the DA*55mm. The goal was to see how much shadow detail could be brought out in post. In this case the radaitor behind the painted silver grill. You could say it's a mild torcher test as the sun was shinning directly on the cherokee.
Wikisend: free file sharing service

Here we another torcher test I guess. It's shot at ISO10000 (yes 10k) with the DA*55mm. It of a darkish corner of a messy garage with just enough sun lite window to help mess things up.

The file was shot at ISO2500 with the 55mm at near minimal focus distance. A simple picture of a moth resting on a leaf. I read somewhere of a complaint that the user wanted a better green responce from the K30. You decide, seems ok to me.

This image was shot with the DA*300mm at ISO3200. This shot was a little of a let down, I wanted to see how well white details would be recorded and recovered. While much of the white bristle is in the DoF, the backside isn't. It was still raining lightly after a heavy rain, so the lighting was less than idea (very grey sky in the evening hours). The white bristles are mount in a black and blue brush handle sitting on a well aged wood deck, so there's a good tonal range involded.

Again these images are not meant be a scientific test of the K30, just simple real world tests. To me real world is far more important than critical lab tests. Feel free to download them and PP them to your hearts content. I'm sorry about the 7 day limit, going to a 90 day limit would have halved the download speed. I don't generally post images to the net, so I don't currently have a full time site I can use for this purpose.

I'm not a public reviewer of gear, but the K30 is the 3rd Pentax dSLR I've owned. I started with the DS and upgrade to the K7 and now semi upgraded that to the K30. I've 30days to decide if I want to exchange it for the K5. I bought the K30 (vs K5) for the same reason I first bought the DS, the size and weight. IF I do exchange it, it will be due to being used to the handling of the K7, and I kind of already miss the grip as it gave my little finger a better place to hold on to things. That said, I do to this point really like the K30, it feels very responsive, focus has been solid and pretty dang quick with exception to the 300mm (though I haven't used it with the K30 in good light yet), but I've always felt the DA*300mm focused a little slow with SDM, on the DS it focused pretty quick but that was screwdrive, what a nice feature that would be; to have a software/menu choice between SDM or Screwdrive!

Anyway, have fun in PP if you choose to do so.

07-28-2012, 11:45 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That white bristle one at iso3200 looks good to me. A little light Noiseware NR and it looks really good - it would be hard to do better.
07-28-2012, 12:07 PM   #3
Riv

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Just to clairify, the let down was with me failing to provide enough DoF to have the backside in focus. I just just programmed the FX button to be Optical DoF preview and yet it became a could'a, should'a, didn't moment....

Off to check out, Noiseware. Don't recall looking at that one.