Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2012, 01:23 PM   #16

Indeed - I'd love to be able to find the "mode" in the K30 that allows Video-ing via the Viewfinder....!

Wandering around with the K30 doing its low-end wobbly video - while holding a lump of DSLR at arm's-reach - like a Tourist with a $100.00 P&S - has limited attractions to me.... I'm not at all surprised that Pentax says, for Video, put the K30 on a tripod - and then don't touch it...!

Being able to use the "braced triangle" position - camera to eye, elbows firmly tucked-in - to hold the camera steady - would indeed be better.... And not look nearly as silly as using a DSLR like a cheap P&S. But that's apparently another limit of Video in DSLRs.

Just a surprise, coming from Bridge cameras with video to their EVFs - apparently it can't be done in Non-EVF.

Although my Fuji HS10's 1280 x 720 bitrate is no better than the K30's - at least one can "brace-up" and hold the camera steadier, to eye. (Incidentally - while the HS10 is a BSI-CMOS sensor - there's far less jello-effect than in the K30 - perhaps because it has a much smaller sensor area.)

Regards, Dave.

Last edited by exwintech; 10-23-2012 at 01:29 PM.
10-23-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
Forum Member

My comparison of the K-01 and K-5 video is pretty clear. If you have both cameras, just pick a moderate focal length....say 50mm, and try to hold each camera steady in your hands with 720 or 1080 HD, 30fps. You will easily see the K-01 has much more jello effect than the K-5. That's it. Takes 5 minutes.
10-28-2012, 12:43 PM   #18

Photos: Albums
but why?!
10-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #19
Veteran Member

If your shooting video while moving, you need support, SR will cause the jello effect, there are skaters using low grade DSLRs for ages making great skating videos because they are not obsessing over what camera they have, they are smart and obsessing with what equipment to use, if your moving you need a video stabilizer, those mounts with a weight hanging from the bottom, or get a full on vest with robot arms. People wanting to shoot video these days forget how expensive video is to shoot if you want it to look professional, you need the proper setups to get good video, tracks, tripods, stabilizers, robot arms... Why I never took video seriously, only way I can get stabilized video cheap is by using small cameras like the Q or a GoPro. Even than people are using stabilizers with there go pros. you want to do video you either buy a real video camera and quit complaining are cough up the money for stabilizing equipment...

10-29-2012, 12:10 PM   #20

From the testing I've done with my K30 the "jello" effect is in fact caused by SR (image stabilisation)
The rolling shutter effect is only apparent when panning quickly and this is common to all CMOS based DSLR's

While the K30 video is not the best, it can produce good quality if used properly and within its limits. (Its not a camcorder)
I had a Canon 550D before this and it had the same issues. (The stabilization was in lens and 'jello' was not as noticeable)

EDIT: Following from what bmonki said above:
When making films they usually have the camera on a crane, tripod or SeadyCam.
They never use autofocus
The stablilizers are large boxes that attach to the camera which contain 3 gyroscopes. (no sensor shift here)
Zoom is used sparingly. (count how many zooms there are next time you watch your favourite film)
With zoom shots they check the focus for the start and end then mark it on the 'follow focus' wheel. The 'Focus puller' (check film credits) is the guy who has to rotate the focus wheel (usually remote these days) so that it ends at the right focus for the end of the shot.

Last edited by evandavies1; 10-29-2012 at 12:31 PM.
10-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Very very odd. dpreview's review just claimed that the K-30 is having very little jello effect thanks to a fast CPU and sensor readout. And now I read it is awful? Weird. How could dpreview come to such a different conclusion?

I do prefer CCD for video, but even higher end video cameras seem to use CMOS these days. And sorry, most video cameras use tiny sensors that are also problematic.

Low quality audio is an issue (though to that guy with the microphones it apparently isn't, he'll be using an external audio recorder anyway!).

Btw. if you want to stabilize video: Use a tripod. One that is heavy. Learn how to set it up properly and how to hold it properly, practise a bit and you can get pretty good results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O0zF4Hy9aY&feature=g-upl
This was taken with a SX130 (my favorite "video camera" so far, the microphone picks up too many noises from the camera, but other than that... I like it much more than the dedicated video cameras we had before) and a normal, not very light nor heavy tripod. These days I have a heavier Slik tripod, and you can see the difference. You do get weird stares if you run around with a camera mounted on top of a tripod, shooting video... but it works.

Last edited by kadajawi; 10-30-2012 at 12:22 AM.