Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2012, 07:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
800 lb gorilla. K-30 video quality not good.

Hey everybody, I do not own a K-30. But based on my research and looking at sample videos, It looks like the K-30 video quality is unacceptable. Specifically when the camera is moving there is the distorted "jelly" appearance in the video. Do K-30 owner's agree? Is it actually worse than the K-5? Is the K-01 better? Anyone think Pentax might repair this with a new firmware?

Thanks

07-31-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Good luck finding a CMOS sensor that doesn't produce rolling shutter.

But as I understand it, there are ways around it via software and physical technique (to some extent).
07-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #3

This is of course subjective, but I personally found that the jello-vision was unacceptably distracting with the shake reduction on. However, when I turned SR off, the rolling shutter effect was greatly attenuated, to the point it really didn't bother me. I'd much rather watch a bit of handheld shake than feel like the entire world I'm recording is made of gelatin...
07-31-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bigjonnee Quote
based on my research and looking at sample videos, It looks like the K-30 video quality is unacceptable.
Well, since the same 'rolling shutter' issue affects DSLR's like the D90, D7000, 60D, 600D, 7D, the Canon 5D2, 5D3, Nikon D800, D800E etc, all of which are still capable of doing broadcast quality video, I hardly see it as an unacceptable or unique feature of the K-30.

And firmware hasn't solved the problem on, for example, the 5D2, so I don't think it will solve it on the K-30.

07-31-2012, 10:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
after watch some video samples from k-30, I can say my k-5 produce smoother video footage.
actually if you read the video section of k-01 review from dpreview.com
they point out that k-01 has very pronounced jelly effect/rolling shutter, probabally the worest from DSLR they see
since k-30 use same video process as k-01..no doubt..
07-31-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

All CMOS will generate this "jello" effect. NO exceptions.

Where the results can vary: framerate used, data throughtput of the sensor and wheter SR is on (because if smooths out camera shakes, making the effect more apparent). As much as people take video on DSLR seriously, a dedicated camera with CCD is still better at that.
08-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Veteran Member

All of the high quality DSLR videos that have impressed me have 2 things in common.....

1. The camera is kept very still or pans very very slowly.
2. External microphone and recording gear is used.
08-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
All of the high quality DSLR videos that have impressed me have 2 things in common.....

1. The camera is kept very still or pans very very slowly.
2. External microphone and recording gear is used.
Agreed.

08-01-2012, 01:11 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback guys. Thanks for not putting me through the wringer too hard. I didn't even know the phenomenon was called rolling shutter. Okay, I am less worried. I don’t plan on fast panning shots, I already have Zoom H4n, boom, shotgun mic. I am pretty sure I am going to go for the k-30, since I am already invested in Pentax glass.
10-22-2012, 01:46 PM   #10
Forum Member

I just tested my K-5 video vs my new K-01. Much to my dismay, using SR on both, the K-5 has MUCH, I repeat, MUCH less rolling shutter problem than the K-01. It is really noticable, and the reason I am returning my K-01. Basically, on the K-01, you have to:

- Turn off SR to avoid the rolling shutter, which in turn produces shaky videos unless you use a tripod all the time, which for most folks is a deal breaker. You can keep SR on with the K-5...I have shot pretty steady K-5 videos from a moving train for example.
- Use fixed aperature (not program) video mode, because on the K-01 (not the K-5), any aperature changes are loudly picked up on the audio by the mics near the front of the lens mount. Therefore, you can't use the red button for quick videos, since the videos must use program mode with the red button. Ugh.
- K-5 videos have better, lower contrast and better color, IMO
- Movie AF on K-01 is too slow to really use...manual is better, not as noisy as well
- K-5 optical viewfinder is often better to use is sunny conditions for video as well
- Only downside to K-5 video is size of files, which can be converted maintaining quality to mov..but takes time

So basically, the K-01 is NOT a better video camera than the K-5. Pentax really messed this up on the K-01, and some of these traits may be on the new K-30 as well.

Last edited by rdj92807; 10-22-2012 at 01:51 PM.
10-22-2012, 02:36 PM   #11

Bigjonnee - If you have that very good "....Zoom H4n, boom, shotgun mic...." - gear, you clearly expect excellent video functions. So you might look at the K5 or something else - that has connections for external mic, etc - the K30 doesn't have such. Nor does it have Stereo in-camera audio.

The K30 video itself is of low bitrate in both HD levels, though the 1280 x 720 is slightly better than the 1920 x 1080. (The bitrate level in both Std and Full HD is just over half that of the Canon 650D.) I'm using the 1280 x 720 at 30fps, then converting that to Xvid at 30fps with Avidemux. The quality is similar to the H264/MOV 1280 x 720 from the Fuji HS10 Bridge Camera - usable but not ideal.

However, the HS10's audio is PCM Stereo at 48,000 Hz - quite adequate, while the K30's "audio" is PCM Mono at 32,000 Hz.... Which shows you "where the audio should be placed", when editing-in proper audio with processing.

Yes, I agree with above - turn the Video SR Off - it doesn't help things. Pentax does seem to realise that the K30's Video isn't even up to reasonable P&S Bridge Camera standards (Fuji HS10 similar, but Canon SX40 far better than either HS10 or K30) - as Pentax says - quoting K30 Manual, Page 131:

" • When [Recording Sound Level] is set to a value other than l (0), the camera
operation sounds are also recorded. When recording a movie, mount the
camera onto a tripod and do not operate the camera while recording." End quote.

The K30's video is okay for short clips - 10-30 seconds, etc - that you're later going to put into other 1280 x 720 work, with audio sourced from other than the K30.

Oddly (like the HS10) - the K30's 640 x 480 H264/MOV video is pretty good for VGA - quite okay for sharing, and with VGA, folk tend not to notice the low-end mono audio.

It's about as good as the 2008 Canon SX10's 640 x 480 H264/MOV - though that does have fairly good PCM 41,000 Hz Stereo.

So - if you or your kids like 640 x 480 to share, upload to Social Sites, etc - the K30's video is okay for that.

Regards, Dave.
10-23-2012, 05:51 AM   #12

K-30 video??

Any thoughts on this One! I'd like to use 3 K-30's all mounted on tripods to video some projects I'm working on. My plan is to hook each one up with a Vello Freewave transmitter so that I can start the recording on each one remotely with a single press of a button. So far of the cameras I've researched the K-30 and K-5 are about the only ones that I believe I can start the video recording by remote. Mostly for what I'm doing I need a camera that will take fairly good video, and would also like to use them for stills, but I really don't need SLR quality stills. Anyone know of any other cameras that I can start the video by remote?
10-23-2012, 06:24 AM   #13
Pentaxian

If you are shooting them on a tripod remotely, I assume you aren't moving them while recording?

If so, it should be pretty good.
10-23-2012, 10:58 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by bigjonnee Quote
Hey everybody, I do not own a K-30. But based on my research and looking at sample videos, It looks like the K-30 video quality is unacceptable. Specifically when the camera is moving there is the distorted "jelly" appearance in the video. Do K-30 owner's agree? Is it actually worse than the K-5? Is the K-01 better? Anyone think Pentax might repair this with a new firmware?

Thanks
They might improve it some with new firmware, but as you've already learned, you can only expect so much from a CMOS sensor. I wish I could at least use focus peaking while shooting video. That would definitely help!

The K30 is a amazing camera and perhaps the biggest bargain in DSLR history. The 800 pound gorilla is that this fact is often overlooked in criticisms of the camera. Anyone truly serious about shooting movies should use a dedicated video camera, a higher end DSLR, or something else. Many critics just expect everything to be 100% perfect at bargain prices. This is just unrealistic.
10-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #15
D0n
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rdj92807 Quote
I just tested my K-5 video vs my new K-01. Much to my dismay, using SR on both, the K-5 has MUCH, I repeat, MUCH less rolling shutter problem than the K-01. It is really noticable, and the reason I am returning my K-01. Basically, on the K-01, you have to:

- Turn off SR to avoid the rolling shutter, which in turn produces shaky videos unless you use a tripod all the time, which for most folks is a deal breaker. You can keep SR on with the K-5...I have shot pretty steady K-5 videos from a moving train for example.
- Use fixed aperature (not program) video mode, because on the K-01 (not the K-5), any aperature changes are loudly picked up on the audio by the mics near the front of the lens mount. Therefore, you can't use the red button for quick videos, since the videos must use program mode with the red button. Ugh.
- K-5 videos have better, lower contrast and better color, IMO
- Movie AF on K-01 is too slow to really use...manual is better, not as noisy as well
- K-5 optical viewfinder is often better to use is sunny conditions for video as well
- Only downside to K-5 video is size of files, which can be converted maintaining quality to mov..but takes time

So basically, the K-01 is NOT a better video camera than the K-5. Pentax really messed this up on the K-01, and some of these traits may be on the new K-30 as well.
Really?
please elaborate?