Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-26-2012, 09:34 AM   #61
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you for checking. I assume you mean the last jpg of colorchecker chart screen shot in one of my previous postings. Yes this looks a litte bit bright, but the colors look more correct. I like to try again a better ICC correction profile for CaptureOne, but the bug of C1 with local adjustments makes me strongly hesitate to spend this effort.

09-28-2012, 06:44 AM   #62
Forum Member

I experienced issues with Pentax files in capture One. Mostly the DNG and the PEF files didn't look to nice either. Using Lightroom was just the opposite, everything was fine. Capture One isn't a fan of DNG, that's an Adobe creation and the competition. Pentax users are just not that high in volume, so support for those cameras is not as important as Phase One backs, medium format, and the other guys C + N.
10-06-2012, 10:21 AM   #63
Forum Member

Original Poster
Since 2012-10-02 there is a new version AdobeDNGConverter with v7.2.0.46 available at www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=5486. It lists explicitely the Pentax K-30 as new supported camera. Up to now I converted my K-30 DNG files with v7.1 without problems. My main motivation to do so was the reduction of preview size from full resolution to medium resolution. That is quite important for me, because a lower resolution preview is a very good mean to identify software which does not render the raw content but only the preview of a DNG file.

But what does it mean now, that v7.2 of AdobeDNGConverter supports K-30? The K-30 does anyhow produce ONLY DNG files. Is there an additional need to convert again? Why? Will the problems with CaptureOne and other software dissappear? What happens if you convert with v7.2 again the DNGs which have been already converted with v7.1. Will it be necessary to reconvert again and again all DNGs? A lot of questions, which are nowhere at Adobe website answered. I will post any new findings after my own investigations, which will take some time. But it is good to have this forum for sharing.

Last edited by Plentax; 10-06-2012 at 01:13 PM.
02-14-2013, 03:58 PM   #64
Forum Member

Original Poster
Short update: From CaptureOne no news at all. Even new v7 for only Win-64-bit does not support DNGs from K-30. No support does mean: still really terrible wrong colors. I am back to Lightroom v4.2 now since several months and everyhting is fine for K-30 DNG files including lens support.

I still do not understand why K-30 is listed as supported with AdobeDNGConverter v7.3.0.71. I am converting my DNGs just to get rid of the large embedded JPG preview. I cannot identify any difference of DNG before and after conversion. I assume that the DNG raw-data is really untouched during conversion. The DNGConverter can do compression or fast load. May be here the camera support is relevant? But I do not use such special features and especially fast load seems to be incompatible with some popular image browsers.

Regards from Peter

02-14-2013, 05:50 PM   #65
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Plentax Quote
But what does it mean now, that v7.2 of AdobeDNGConverter supports K-30? The K-30 does anyhow produce ONLY DNG files. Is there an additional need to convert again? Why?
Everything you need is in a DNG file, so like you say it's not needed to convert it again or anything like that. It might update the file to a newer version and compress the file more since you now have the processing power of your computer.

What is added with the support of the camera is that Adobe as put in a camera profile of their own and additional support and such for the camera.
So extra's so to say, nothing more.
09-10-2013, 10:44 AM   #66
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi guys,

good news!

I've installed C1 v7 the latest Pro release trial yesterday and K-30 is there! It detects this camera automatically when you import the DNGs. The C1 seem to deliver pretty correct k-30 colors straight up.

Btw, last year I was trying C1 v6 for my Sony a35 ( sold ) and wasn't satisfied with the results mostly because of colors. The C1 v7 has new engine and seem to work faster and more stable than v6 within same hardware.
I think v7 is worth to give it a try. It allows 60 days of trial.