Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 02:57 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Features you found neat about the K-30

Got the K-30 a few days ago. To my surprise this was a tremendous upgrade from the K-x which I've owned for nearly 3 years, since I paid nearly the same price. I don't know what it's like to use the K-5, but I thought it'd be awesome if people can share some *not-mentioned* features the K-30 have that people stepping up from more entry cameras may think are really neat.

For me, I thought assigning the "Fx" button to select AF points using the two dials can be used to pick focus points is really interesting, and I can imagine you could be very fast at switching AF points by practising a little.

That said, I'm curious if anyone knows what the Composition tool is for? It looks like it offsets the sensor using the SR system, but I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to do this.

08-01-2012, 03:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's definitely a feature for precision work, probably only a studio artist would use it - but saying this so blatantly should get a few more people to respond

I'm pleased that they put af-c and af-s on the AF switch, rather than making that choice a menu item. That's one thing that I have really valued in the higher-end bodies. Your note on focus points does sound great though.
08-01-2012, 05:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 0rangepeel Quote
That said, I'm curious if anyone knows what the Composition tool is for? It looks like it offsets the sensor using the SR system, but I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to do this.
At the K-30 product tour, the presenter showed that feature and gave us an example of how it can be useful in a real situation- taking macro shots. You've got everything set up; your camera, lens, tripod, lighting and you don't want to move everything to change the composition. Instead, you use the composition tool to move the sensor to the left, right, up, down, until you get the composition that you want.

I believe he also said that the K-30 is the only camera (of one of the only) you can do this in because it has in-body shake reduction that allows the sensor to move.

I found this pretty cool.
08-01-2012, 06:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote
At the K-30 product tour, the presenter showed that feature and gave us an example of how it can be useful in a real situation- taking macro shots. You've got everything set up; your camera, lens, tripod, lighting and you don't want to move everything to change the composition. Instead, you use the composition tool to move the sensor to the left, right, up, down, until you get the composition that you want.

I believe he also said that the K-30 is the only camera (of one of the only) you can do this in because it has in-body shake reduction that allows the sensor to move.

That makes a lot of sense. At the macro level, the sensor shift would move the imaging area much more than say a landscape shot at 18mm. Neat to know.

08-01-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Julie Quote

Wow, brilliant. I would have really wanted this when I had my Tamron 90, because it was a pain in the rear trying to adjust the object that TINY LITTLE AMOUNT.
08-01-2012, 09:22 PM   #6

great to know, I just ordered the k30 and that Tamron, that is a great feature indeed!
08-01-2012, 10:07 PM   #7
Pentaxian

more please.

08-02-2012, 06:04 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Wow, brilliant. I would have really wanted this when I had my Tamron 90, because it was a pain in the rear trying to adjust the object that TINY LITTLE AMOUNT.
This feature has been around since the K7 I think!

08-02-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I know this isn't a new feature but it's new to me ... I dig the electronic level. Great for landscapes and just all around shooting. Sometimes when you shoot at an odd angle or bending over weird or something, it's really hard to get the camera straight. This is going to be a godsend for those times!
08-02-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
I know this isn't a new feature but it's new to me ... I dig the electronic level. Great for landscapes and just all around shooting. Sometimes when you shoot at an odd angle or bending over weird or something, it's really hard to get the camera straight. This is going to be a godsend for those times!
I agree with the level..........for some reason all my shots are about 5 degrees off and I have to use the straighten tool to level them. This has already worked well for me.
08-02-2012, 01:23 PM   #11
Forum Member

I beg to differ, regarding how much difference the shift makes on wide images. Just put your camera on a tripod which can pan smoothly. Make sure SR and liveview are on. Now pan a little faster than you would if you were recording video and suddenly stop. As the SR recenters you'll get an idea just how much difference it can make. I see this regularly when setting up panos, as I pan to the next shot.

But, yes, it would make a much bigger difference with macro work where very small camera movements can have a huge impact on the field of view and focus.
08-02-2012, 06:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ihasa Quote
This feature has been around since the K7 I think!

PENTAX K-7 Composition Adjustment - YouTube
Ah I didn't know - I have a k-x.
08-03-2012, 06:38 AM   #13
Pentaxian

really cool features! the k-30 is really tempting!
08-03-2012, 06:43 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleRed Quote
I agree with the level..........for some reason all my shots are about 5 degrees off and I have to use the straighten tool to level them. This has already worked well for me.
What I just discovered is you can't have both the electronic level in the viewfinder AND the exposure compensation. This is unfortunate. For now, I have turned the level back off.