Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
08-01-2012, 08:00 PM   #1

KX to K30 or wait it out...hmmmm

Hi guys, I'm a KX owner and would consider myself towards the beginner end of the spectrum. My KX has been a great learner camera but the auto focus is what bugs me the most. Reading all of the reviews of the K30 it looks like this would assist greatly for me with improved AF. I was considering a K5 but the K30 I'm sure would do everything that I need.

i have a bunch of lens including Sigma 10-20, Sigma 17-70, Pentax DA 40 ltd, Pentax DA 70 ltd, Pentax 55-300, and a Takumar 50mm 1.4 early 8-element. Focus peaking on the K30 looks like a great upgrade from my KX as well for the manual Takumar and other lens'.

The K30 looks like great value for body only at around the $758-$799 in Australia. The other side of me says wait and see what replaces the K5 in early September at Photokina. But I'm guessing this will come in about an extra $1K premium above the K30 current price?

Decisions, decisions. Any thoughts?

08-01-2012, 08:05 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fully expect the K-5 replacement, if one is announced at Photokina, will be at the $1600 or so mark if it is APSC.

If you want to wait for that one expect to pay dearly.

If you want to wait for K-30 price to come down, I think it is already starting to see a little bit of a drop from the pre-order prices.

K-30 looks like a good upgrade if you don't need the extra features of the K-5 or it's replacement. Otherwise I think the K-5 is the best deal going right now on a camera of this level.
08-01-2012, 08:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

The K-5 was released at round $1700 and was criticized for being too pricey. It dropped quickly. The K-30 is already discounted about a month out from release. My guess is that by September you will be getting it for around $749 and the new K-5 replacement will be around $1700 again. If you want focus peaking and faster AF then the K-30 seems to be the better choice over the current K-5. (all prices in this post are US $s)
08-01-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
The K-5 was released at round $1700 and was criticized for being too pricey. It dropped quickly. The K-30 is already discounted about a month out from release. My guess is that by September you will be getting it for around $749 and the new K-5 replacement will be around $1700 again. If you want focus peaking and faster AF then the K-30 seems to be the better choice over the current K-5. (all prices in this post are US $s)
Yes, two stand out benefits (amongst a heap of others) of the K30 over my KX are the faster AF and focus peaking. That's what is pushing me more towards the K30 than the K5. The exchange rate between Aus and US is close to parity at the moment so comparable pricing.

Thanks for the feedback and continued comments. Like all decisions of this nature I seem to be quite indecisive and chop and change from day to day or forum post to forum post!

08-01-2012, 09:25 PM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by WA-surfer Quote
Yes, two stand out benefits (amongst a heap of others) of the K30 over my KX are the faster AF and focus peaking. That's what is pushing me more towards the K30 than the K5. The exchange rate between Aus and US is close to parity at the moment so comparable pricing.

Thanks for the feedback and continued comments. Like all decisions of this nature I seem to be quite indecisive and chop and change from day to day or forum post to forum post!
I went through this too! I finally just decided to pull the trigger on the k30 and will be picking it up today. I finally got to hold and look at it at my local photoshop two days ago and it was love at first sight for me after trolling these forums hanging on every word about it.
08-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The K-30 is a superb natural upgrade to a K-x.

You'll love the improved AF, brighter OV, and the two dials. It's not exposing as reliably as my K-x, but that's probably just me...

I went for the K-30 over the K-5 chiefly because I wanted the 18-135, and I couldn't find the K-5 / 18-135 kit at a good price.
08-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #7

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote

You'll love the improved AF, brighter OV, and the two dials. It's not exposing as reliably as my K-x, but that's probably just me...

I went for the K-30 over the K-5 chiefly because I wanted the 18-135, and I couldn't find the K-5 / 18-135 kit at a good price.
Funny you mentioned about the exposure from the K-30. I tend to agree. It seems to clip highlights easily compared to my K-x.

To the TS:

As somebody has mentioned it is really a tremendous upgrade from a K-x. I am happy with the K-30 and like you my first DSLR is the K-x. Disappointed though about the bracketing, no option to use a timer or remote.

08-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

go for K-30

QuoteOriginally posted by TJWest Quote
I went through this too! I finally just decided to pull the trigger on the k30 and will be picking it up today. I finally got to hold and look at it at my local photoshop two days ago and it was love at first sight for me after trolling these forums hanging on every word about it.
+1
had it for just few days, took over 300 shots, love it!
Pentax K-30 - a set on Flickr
I am just an amateur , K-30 will be my main camera, K5 of course is better camera but K-30 is lighter, smaller, can take AA's ( do not forget to get an AA adaptor!), faster AF and I like that deeper grip. The shutter a bit noisier but after K-x that will not be any problem.
K5 now is permanently attached to the battery grip ( with 6x AA's) and will be used with bigger lenses , with older manual lenses and for MACRO and anything else K-30 can not handle ( well perhaps there is none).
08-02-2012, 08:56 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Unsinkable II Quote

And that kit price has dropped around $50 or $60 on Amazon this week, which makes it an even better deal IMHO.
08-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #10
Inactive Account

price up and down

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
And that kit price has dropped around $50 or $60 on Amazon this week, which makes it an even better deal IMHO.
Last night around 11pm (EDST), I checked Amazon.com, the price for K30 + 18-135mm dropped to $1099.95 and K30 + 18-55mm to $816.95!!! but today the price came back to $1196.95 and $860.95 respectively. I think they are playing number games...
08-02-2012, 12:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ULong Quote
Last night around 11pm (EDST), I checked Amazon.com, the price for K30 + 18-135mm dropped to $1099.95 and K30 + 18-55mm to $816.95!!! but today the price came back to $1196.95 and $860.95 respectively. I think they are playing number games...
Their computer monitor sales, stock, competition prices and then modifies the price of the item.
08-02-2012, 01:31 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by drivingback Quote
Funny you mentioned about the exposure from the K-30. I tend to agree. It seems to clip highlights easily compared to my K-x.
I seem to remember K-5 reviews also saying about clipping easily, and I think to get the required tone curve to help avoid this you have to leave Highlight Correction on.
08-02-2012, 05:30 PM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Thankyou for all the feedback and comments guys.

I managed to drop by a bricks and mortar store yesterday and play with both the K30 and K5. I was very impressed with both considering I'm coming from a KX!
The K30 felt really good in the hands, nice weight and good grip. The blue model actually felt better than the black model because of the contrasting shiny to rubber textures I think. It just felt really great in my hands compared to the black model - kind of strange I know. I'm after black by the way.
The K5 felt much more solid and I was very impressed. Probably didn't feel as comfortable in the hands as the K30 but it certainly felt like more of a camera.

I thought the focus peaking was great on the K30 and the snappy AF was fantastic compared to my KX.

I didn't pull the trigger just yet as I just wanted to play with them first hand to assist with my decision rather than just rely on what I read on the net.

I really appreciate your first hand experiences and comments.

I'm tempted to order the K30 and 18-135 bundle from Pentax Singapore for SGD$1242 = $950AUD/US. I emailed them and they responded very quickly which was a good sign. I might keep my eye on the Singapor K30 thread to see how successful others who have ordered from them are.
08-02-2012, 06:28 PM - 1 Like   #14

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I seem to remember K-5 reviews also saying about clipping easily, and I think to get the required tone curve to help avoid this you have to leave Highlight Correction on.
Thanks Steve! I think though that I left the highlight and shadow correction on. But hey I had only taken a few shots for the 1 week that I have the camera. So what I said is not definitive. Will test more on the weekend and try to report back my experience.
08-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #15

Original Poster
Hi guys,

Just to follow up on my original post. I have pulled the trigger on the K30 and 18-135 bundle!
I also just advertised and sold my Pentax K-x. It sold a bit more quickly than I was expecting so now I am DSLR-less until my K30 arrives from Pentax Singapore - estimated to be 2-5 working days. In fact, the upgrade will be my birthday present (which isn't until Aug 27th) as that is how I pitched it to my better half, so may be DSRL-less for a few days yet (20 actually, not that I am counting!). Can't wait.

Thankyou for all of your input to assist in my decision.